SKS still effective today? - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 20:47   #1

SKS still effective today?

Wondering what you guys think about the tried and true sks? Is it out of date and does it have no place in combat today? My opinion is the same as it always was. The sks is still a very effective battle weapon. Reliable and rugged and well proven in combat. Sure its limited compared with just about any magazine fed weapon but in hit and run guerilla style war it seems to work great. Looking for opinions, (well actually just trying to convince myself to buy another sks). Sold off my last one some time back. Just trying to decide if there is any real reason to buy one????
Ben Dover likes this.
WhiteWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 20:50   #2

Buy one. Heck, buy two or three. If nothing else, they would make great handout weapons if the SHTF. And they're fun as hell to shoot.
Old 03-20-2006, 20:53   #3

I can tell you that they are still in use today in many 3rd world areas. I'd take a nice run of the mill and easy to find AK-47 over an SKS. They are good guns that were replaced for larger capacity weapons. Its kinda like comparting a M1 Garand to a M-14 (caliber non-withstanding obviously in the 308 vs 30-06).
It doesn't mean I don;t own both rifles for a reason. I've got the AK, SKS, Garand and the M-14 All serve a purpose.
gunrun45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2006, 21:19   #4

It kills just as easy as it did when it was first issued, but it is looking quite dated today.

With the flood of ex soviet AK type rifles after the fall of the USSR onto the worlds arms market, I think you'd be hard pressed these days to find a third world conflict where the SKS is prevalent.

Even M16's are common among many rebel groups, raided from failed governments who were supplied with surplus US M16 type weapons all through out the cold war.

AKs, FALs, G3s, Galil's or clones and M16 type weapons would be the most common 'third world' gun these days.

I'm sure you can find SKSs around, but not like the numbers you would have seen in the 60's or 70's.

Personally I'd just assume buy two or three AK's as opposed to four or five SKS's. Both are dirt cheap, but the AK is more combat effective, otherwise the AK would not exsist.
LonePathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:43   #5

Everyone should own at least one sks. It's the best bang for the buck of any gun made IMO. Combat, I'd hate to be limited to using only it but would definitely beat a 10/22. Ammo is cheap and prolific and powerful enough for deer sized animals. With the stripper clips you could definitely keep some BGs heads down. There are better choices but none as cheap and reliable.
uzitiger likes this.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:51   #6

LonePathfinder, you should take a look sometime a pictures of seized weapons in Iraq-you may rethink your opinion that the SKS is not as common anymore. It is one of the most commonly used weapons by insurgents.
Old 03-21-2006, 14:07   #7

Now were these SKSs takin off dead BG's or just an old weapons cache?

Maybe they were laying the the Caches b/c the BG's all took the AK's first before settling on a SKS. Places like Iraq are odd because its one big arms dump where weapons were being imported for decades. SKSs are still around, but there are better alternatives, and if you look at the world wide third world conflicts, I bet the weapons 'in-hand' of any fighter will be a bit more modern detachable mag fed weapon.
LonePathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 19:31   #8

I spent 2 tours in Iraq, 2nd one was in Baghdad last year. Iraqis (good and bad) love guns that is for sure! AKs are of course the most common, mostly the fixed stock with the stock removed (ghetto style). Frequently saw the Romanians (aren’t those the ones with the wood forward pistol grip?). Under folders next. RPKs were common. The occasional Draganov sniper. You do see some oddball stuff. Mausers, SKSs (Russians I think), sterlings, barretta subguns (M-12s I think?), FALs, Hakim carbines, old Russian “burp guns” all not uncommon … MP-5s were favored by Fedayeen types. Saw a few MP-5Ks. Lots of hunting arms. We captured a Winchester lever action in 30/30. Also saw lots of Hi-powers, a few Glocks (now carried by the IP), and those Egyptian copies of the berretta. We capture one M-16A2 from the 1st Gulf War we thought. A nickel plated Colt .38 special. Coolest gun we captured was a stainless Mac-10 in 9mm short.

Last edited by 5legion; 03-21-2006 at 21:01.
5legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 20:22   #9

I've also seen video of SKS's in action during the Bosnia/Serbia ordeal.
Old 03-22-2006, 00:03   #10

I wouldn;t want to be on the buisness end of one.....
uzitiger likes this.
ShootinDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:43   #11

Luckily the tangos don't shoot very well. Few casualties from direct fire. The Ak w/stock removed is the classic example...even good Iraqis did it because it looked cool and was handy in a car. We trained our own guard force in basic rifle marksmanship - with a usable stock back on, using the sights, trigger squeeze, breathing ... these were all unfamiliar concepts!
uzitiger likes this.
Old 03-22-2006, 20:49   #12

I decided not to get one. Not because of the weapon itself but because of the 7.62x39mm round. Getting to hard to find and in todays Nato/U.N world I really dont belive we would be facing the caliber here in the U.S. Picked another mossberg 590 though. I belive anyone would be better suited with a 9mm, 5.56 ,7.62 or 12 gauge instead of other harder to find calibers. Of course in other parts of the world other calibers would be found more than these but I dont plan on leaving North America anytime soon. I was thinking why not stock pile weapons in which ammo can be taking from your enemy.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:16   #13

The word from the SHOT show is that wolf is going to ship twice the amount of 7.62 and 5.45 to the US. I hope so, my SAR1 is hungry.
boogeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:10   #14

Any reliable rifle that packs a wallop within 300 yards is useful. Useful today, useful yesterday, and useful tomorrow. If you run out of ammo, you can use the bayonet, or use your 'antique' like a club. Try doing that with your black plastic rifle! As to ammo availability, the FNH SCAR is going to be available in the 5.56 and 7.62x39, so what does that tell you, considering they just got the contract to supply the US with the next generation of assault rifle.

I have several guns, but I prefer my SKS. It never jams, it's dead-on, it's cheap, and it's heavy. It goes in the trunk of my car and never complains.
galaxie5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:26   #15

Amen to that.

5L
Old 04-13-2006, 18:14   #16

The SKS is a good rifle. I have a Yugo which comes covered in cosmoline which is good for SHTF situations since t's already preserved against corrosion. I cleaned mine and shot it and found it to be very reliable and accurate at 100 yds for the ammo it shoots. I can load rounds from a stripper clip as fast as I can change magazines. Presently the Yugos are inexpensive and the 'shooter grade' that I have is in great shape.

If you want an AK get one as well.
40nascar likes this.
uzitiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 20:26   #17

Iam still trying to decide on a good rifle. Been looking at just about everything. Just cant seeing paying over $400 for any rifle. Belive I will get another sks and forget about wasting more money. Heck might even get two. Belive I will definetly go with a Yugo or Russian and stay away from the civilian marketed Chinese. Maybe one of the older Chinese. I just dont belive they built the newer ones to last like the older military grade. As for ammo, wal-mart still has plenty of Remington and winchester. Might cost a bit more but its still good quality and plentiful. I look at it like this, if you have a decent rifle and are a fairly good shooter. You should be able to take what ever weapon your enemy is carrying from his dead body. As history says the sks and the 7.62x39mm round have proven themselves to be true time and time again.
Old 04-13-2006, 20:37   #18

An sks is easily "modernized" with the addition of better sights and a more ergonomic stock.
Check out www.tapco.com for their t6 stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 20:46   #19

Originally Posted by WhiteWulf
Iam still trying to decide on a good rifle. Been looking at just about everything. Just cant seeing paying over $400 for any rifle. Belive I will get another sks and forget about wasting more money. Heck might even get two. Belive I will definetly go with a Yugo or Russian and stay away from the civilian marketed Chinese. Maybe one of the older Chinese. I just dont belive they built the newer ones to last like the older military grade. As for ammo, wal-mart still has plenty of Remington and winchester. Might cost a bit more but its still good quality and plentiful. I look at it like this, if you have a decent rifle and are a fairly good shooter. You should be able to take what ever weapon your enemy is carrying from his dead body. As history says the sks and the 7.62x39mm round have proven themselves to be true time and time again.
Well, ALL the Chinese are good. The "civilian marketed" ones all started out as military ones. In other words, the Chinese never manufactured an SKS SPECIFICALLY to be sold/exported for civilian use; that's an unfounded myth. Now, that's not to say that SOME of the exported/comercially sold SKS's were not MODIFIED for civilian use. The "M" and the "D" are good examples of that. So were the K-Sports models, and the Cowboy's Companion ones. Also, many of the Chinese SKS's had their bayonets removed to conform to our stupid laws. However, all of these rifles were originally manufactured for military use. It just worked out that's not where they ended up.

No way in Hell I'd take a Yugo over a Chinese

BlenderWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 21:02   #20

I have to agree with Blender here. 2 things I love Chinese: kung pow chicken and the Norinco SKS. Chinese stuff gets a bad rap (usually deserved) due to all the crapy flip-flops and cheapie electronic they export. Not true with the weapons in my experience. Mine Norinco is 100% reliable.

5L
Old 04-14-2006, 15:02   #21

Originally Posted by WhiteWulf
You don't have to go to wallyworld for ammo. Check out MidwayUsa.com, AimSurplus.com, and browse shotgun news. Sometimes Cheaper than Dirt and Sportsmans' Guide have ammo, but lately, I've experienced up to six month delays in getting 7.62x39, probably since we US taxpayers are buying it all to outfit the Iraqi police and military.

I had a chinese SKS that was my most reliable until someone backed a truck over it and (slightly) bent the barrel. I just prefer the yugo because it's a little beefier, but hey, everyone has the gun they like.
galaxie5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 15:29   #22

I would take a Yugo or Russian SKS before I would touch a Chinese commercial copy of the SKS. If you can get a real milsurp Chinese SKS then you have a good rifle. My friend had a Chinese commercial copy of the SKS which he said was a piece of junk and he was happy to be rid of it. He now has two Yugo SKSs and is happy with them. I wouldn't mind getting a Chinese SKS that is made to take AK mags. With the price of well made Yugo SKSs why bother with a commercial copy of the Chinese SKS?

The SKS may be obsolete in military terms but someone with a bolt action Mauser or Mossin Nagant can still do a lot of damage with it in combat. Remember how the Afghans took out the Russians with their bolt action Enfields and took the AKs off the dead Russians to use against them.

Last edited by uzitiger; 04-14-2006 at 15:32.
uzitiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 16:27   #23

Originally Posted by uzitiger
I would take a Yugo or Russian SKS before I would touch a Chinese commercial copy of the SKS. If you can get a real milsurp Chinese SKS then you have a good rifle. My friend had a Chinese commercial copy of the SKS which he said was a piece of junk and he was happy to be rid of it. He now has two Yugo SKSs and is happy with them. I wouldn't mind getting a Chinese SKS that is made to take AK mags. With the price of well made Yugo SKSs why bother with a commercial copy of the Chinese SKS?

The SKS may be obsolete in military terms but someone with a bolt action Mauser or Mossin Nagant can still do a lot of damage with it in combat. Remember how the Afghans took out the Russians with their bolt action Enfields and took the AKs off the dead Russians to use against them.
You gotta do some research and stop perpetuating myths. THERE ARE NO "COMMERCIAL" SKS COPIES. One exception to this is the Zastava LKP 66 http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/images...bini/14550.htm This is a Yugo, but it makes NO claims to actually being an SKS, but that's what it is under that pretty stock. I shall repeat:
Originally Posted by BlenderWizard
Well, ALL the Chinese are good. The "civilian marketed" ones all started out as military ones. In other words, the Chinese never manufactured an SKS SPECIFICALLY to be sold/exported for civilian use; that's an unfounded myth. Now, that's not to say that SOME of the exported/comercially sold SKS's were not MODIFIED for civilian use. The "M" and the "D" are good examples of that. So were the K-Sports models, and the Cowboy's Companion ones. Also, many of the Chinese SKS's had their bayonets removed to conform to our stupid laws. However, all of these rifles were originally manufactured for military use. It just worked out that's not where they ended up.
Go read the Sticky in the AK/SKS section

BlenderWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 15:45   #24

I've pretty much decided that if I get one, it's going to be the kind that uses AK mags.
Vincent Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 20:19   #25

I have owned two of the Chinese sks that take Ak mags and both were junk. One was a plain sks with monte carlo type stock and the other was the I guess semi thunbhole type stock. Sort of more like the drag stock than a mak stock. Both guns had the same problem. Very hard to insert mags and take them out. And both guns jammed alot. Even ball ammo would jam. I considered these models (commercial) models along with the majority of Chinese sks rifles produced in the 1980's and 1990's. Simply because they were produced for the American civilian gun owners not the military. Of course some will argue they are identical to chinese military which they very well maybe. But with the problems I have experianced an read about I still consider them to be commercial. Unlike the Albanian, Romanian, Russian and Yugoslovian which were made for military use and held in long term storage. I have never experienced any problems with the above and have not read of any others having problems. Sort of like the Chinese ak rifles all of mine had to be dremeled out in order to feed any type of ammo other than ball. Where as the european ak's i have shot have all worked perfect and eat hp and sp just fine. Again this is only my personal opinion. And as everyone know's opinions are like A-HOLES! Everyone has one.