SKS still effective today? - Page 3 - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 01:07   #51

Surplus rifles of all types seem to have skyrocketed in price the last couplee of yrs. $450 for a plain Jane SKS is pretty rich, but i would pay that much for a ruskie parade model.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 13:25   #52

Not that I like planning around political limitations on my civil right to own and use firearms, but the SKS in its slightly mutilated form is still legit here in unfree Amerika. One should not scoff at ten rounds of Brown Bear softpoint, and Tula 8M3 via SGAmmo is as cheap as it goes to change your life in one good center mass hit.

Besides, that's what your pistol is for, once you have to reload.
jor-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 18:44   #53

Hope so, taking mine deer hunting tomorrow.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:30   #54

I like silver and gold bear better
curt mini14 likes this.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 15:59   #55

I laugh at people who talk about "Obsolete Guns or Cartridges."

I have never met anyone who was willing to stand in front of an obsolete firearm.

I have also not seen one gun or cartridge that wasn't as effective now, as it was when it was created, and that includes a Brown Bess Flintlock Musket or even a Matchlock.

Sure there are better guns now, but exactly "how much better" is definitely debatable.

And to think even for one second that an old gun or cartridge won't kill you just as dead as it would have 150 years ago shows a complete lack of understanding of firearms.

But I guess there are still fools among us?

Since my favorite cartridges are things like the .45-70 and .44 Special, and .303 British, and the antique .30-06, I guess I am just living in the past.

I am currently on a 12 ga jag and just completed a 4 day Tactical Shotgun Class with my Obsolete Mossberg 500 12 ga.

Is a 525 gr slug traveling at 1300 fps obsolete? Cuz I seriously doubt anything hit with one will live to tell about.

Randy
SAN14, 40nascar, pukindog and 4 others like this.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:12   #56
Sniper 173D Abn Brigade

I've tested a couple of them out. I like them. They still have uses and value in today's arenas of combat and hunting. In some states, the SKS carbine is used for hunting deer and it does a darn good job of bringing home the meat. Many people compare the SKS to having the same effect with the 7.62 X 39 round as hitting a deer with a 30-30 round. It wouldn't hurt to have a couple of SKS carbines in the family arsenal for emergencies, training and general purpose uses.
40nascar and Rockys Pop like this.
Herd Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 13:19   #57
Honor our Constitution !

My own Romanian SKS 59 has been demilled for hunting in our local Wildlife Management Areas where there are some strict rules enforced.
Bayonette lug has been ground off so no bayo can be installed.....and I insert a 5 round "plug" under the magazine follower to obey the 5 rd. limit for big game in the WMA hunts.

What I have then is a 5-10 round 30 caliber semi auto rifle, with a built in cleaning rod and cleaning kit, that i'm NOT afraid of scraping on a tree, that is zeroed to 100m with open sights and will put EVERY ROUND into a pie plate at 100 yds. using dirt cheap Russian military surplus JHP ammo.
Obsolete? maybe......
anybody that doesn't want theirs anymore, please feel free to send them to me.....i'll take in any orphans I can get.
40nascar likes this.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:24   #58

The SKS is effective when properly maintained and with stripper clips it can be loaded just as fast as a magazine change.
Herd Sniper and Rockys Pop like this.
uzitiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:25   #59
Honor our Constitution !

Old 11-04-2019, 18:41   #60

I have a Chinese Norinco i picked up on consignment at the local pawn shop 6 or 7 years ago. Tried to date it but its not exactly easy. Im still not sure of the date of mfg or the arsensl where it was made.

Its a blast to shoot. Never had a malfunction in stock form using brown bear sp. After doing some polishing, filing and bending, i was able to make a 37 round usa mag feed reliably. I can bump fire the gun on my belt loop and empty the mag without malfunction, although I donít do that often. Im of the persuasion that if it were developed with a detachable magazine and a shorter barrel, the AK may have not existed. Its a fine gun imo. Ive taken deer with it also. Iíll never get rid of it. Also just bought an AK. I appreciate both.
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:11   #61

The SKS has a stripper clip guide built into the bolt and when retracted you put in the stripper clip and push the rounds into the magazine.

I regret not buying a Norninco 20 round magazine for my Yugo but I'm happy with the way it works.
Old 11-05-2019, 15:22   #62
Patron Saint of Rye

Originally Posted by uzitiger View Post
The SKS is effective when properly maintained and with stripper clips it can be loaded just as fast as a magazine change.
Iíd like to see some video of sub-second stripper reloads.
Old 11-05-2019, 15:34   #63
Honor our Constitution !

Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
I have a Chinese Norinco i picked up on consignment at the local pawn shop 6 or 7 years ago. Tried to date it but its not exactly easy. Im still not sure of the date of mfg or the arsensl where it was made.

Its a blast to shoot. Never had a malfunction in stock form using brown bear sp. After doing some polishing, filing and bending, i was able to make a 37 round usa mag feed reliably. I can bump fire the gun on my belt loop and empty the mag without malfunction, although I donít do that often. Im of the persuasion that if it were developed with a detachable magazine and a shorter barrel, the AK may have not existed. Its a fine gun imo. Ive taken deer with it also. Iíll never get rid of it. Also just bought an AK. I appreciate both.
friendly word from an old member here....
ixnay on the alktay about bumpfiring
we have an infestation of libtard ratskis here......

LOVE the SKS !!
Old 11-11-2019, 04:31   #64

Oops. That's a shame.
Rockys Pop likes this.
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:31   #65

Of course it's still effective,,, Did any of you think that any of the 'New Guns " that have come out made it so these 'Obsolete Guns" would no longer fire?

The Brown Bess Musket was the primary firearm of the British Empire From 1720 to 1830.

They will still kill you 200 years later!

Getting hit by a .75 caliber 625 gr ball will still ruin your day, and probably more so than taking a 9mm round from a Glock.

My .02

Randy
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:29   #66
Honor our Constitution !

Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Of course it's still effective,,, Did any of you think that any of the 'New Guns " that have come out made it so these 'Obsolete Guns" would no longer fire?

The Brown Bess Musket was the primary firearm of the British Empire From 1720 to 1830.

They will still kill you 200 years later!

Getting hit by a .75 caliber 625 gr ball will still ruin your day, and probably more so than taking a 9mm round from a Glock.

My .02

Randy
Randy.....my Trade Musket is "only" .62 cal. smoothbore.....but i'd damn sure hate to get hit by a ball flying from its muzzle.............

.75= 12 gauge
.69= 16 gauge
.62= 20 gauge
Old 11-13-2019, 06:53   #67

Originally Posted by Ontos View Post
Iíd like to see some video of sub-second stripper reloads.
Stripper clip reloads can be fast with practice without the weight of magazines. I'm not going to war with it nor any more modern firearms so we can discuss it all day.

The SKS was designed during WWII the conscripts were not weapon savvy and they would have lost the magazines turning the rifle into a single shot weapon. The magazine design than the M-1 Garand with its eight round clip.
silvertip47 and Rockys Pop like this.
Old 11-13-2019, 21:31   #68

I still have a Chinese SKS I bought new packed in cosmoline. It's a great carbine. When ammo was hard to get I started casting my own bullets the SKS is a fun cast bullet gun. I have a lee 160 grain .312 x39 mold they also work in 54R guns. Using Bullseye and 2400 powders.

Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 11-14-2019, 17:23   #69

I put a PA advanced microdot on mine today and wow. I am deadly with this carbine. The PA sight needed 3 clicks left and 4 clicks down to be 3 inches high at 50 yards. 1/2 moa at 50 yards all day long off the bench.
51colt and Rockys Pop like this.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:57   #70
Patron Saint of Rye

Stripper clip reloads can be fast with practice without the weight of magazines. I'm not going to war with it nor any more modern firearms so we can discuss it all day.

The SKS was designed during WWII the conscripts were not weapon savvy and they would have lost the magazines turning the rifle into a single shot weapon. The magazine design than the M-1 Garand with its eight round clip.
Can they be ďfastĒ? Depends upon your definition of ďfastĒ as thatís a relative term.

To say that loading via stripper clips is just as fast as a magazine change is nonsense.
Old 11-19-2019, 17:41   #71

I own two SKS rifles: a Chinese CJA (commercial, like a Norinco) and a Yugo. Both in their original state. Love 'em both. And both are very, very accurate (when I do my part) out to around 100 yards with irons. Probably further, but with my old eyes, 100 yards about about max with iron sights anymore. Rock solid reliable, easy to run, low on felt recoil and just plain fun to shoot.

So far as speed of reloading... I reload with stripper clips. And I've found that, with practice, you can do it pretty quickly. That being said, no way can it get done as quickly as changing mags in my Mini-14 or M1 Carbine.
fteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 20:19   #72

I have a thirty round detachable on my SKS I load it with three stripper clips that magazine is a pain to put in and take out. Good news the magazine works perfectly just hard putting it and taking it out.

fteter likes this.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:11   #73

Every once in a while I think about picking up another one even though what I see are multiples of what I paid for the one I have. I don't do anything with it besides plink at the range and it's been a while since I have taken it out there to do that, so I know I don't need another one, but I am always tempted because the one I have is such a pleasure to shoot.
51colt likes this.
pukindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:16   #74
Honor our Constitution !

The only other SKS I want would be an East German mfgr.

My Romanian is top of the crop and will last thru my Grandsons lifetime with moderate care .
Old 11-26-2019, 13:45   #75

Well My Norinco is early 80's from factory 26 the military arsenal. Beautiful bluing, chrome lined, eats anything and with her new dot is 1/2" moa at 50 yards. East German anything is from forced labor and post WWII. I'm not sure that unicorn exists does it?