Been fighting a problem with my Romanian - Shooting Sports Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2016, 01:56   #1

Been fighting a problem with my Romanian

This has been going on for some time. It will fire 5 or 6 rounds perfectly then dry fire with a round in the chamber. The hammer is not hitting the firing pin. It appears that the bolt has not completely dropped which is what exposes the back of the firing pin.

I have been unable so far to find any smith that is even willing to look at my rifle. From what I've learned, there are almost a dozen different configurations of bolt carriers and some of the bolts require a slight downward angle on the back of the bolt for it to lock in and some don't. Since my bolt carrier is pretty beat up, I ordered a new one hoping that it will have a smoother action and stop this problem. Several companies adverrtise bolts and carriers but they do not specify the year and what rifle these things were made for and it apparently makes a difference.

I got a new bolt for my gun and it would not drop into place at all. I had to polish a slight downward bevel on the back of the bolt where it slides down and interlocks with the carrier. That is where I am currently.

If anybody knows more or better how to deal with this, please let me know. I am probably going to have to sell my SKS to fund my hot rod and car restore projects so I want the gun to function like it should when I sell it. I have a scout scope and circle dot sight on it and it has been a decent shooter when it shoots.
hottarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:40   #2
Honor our Constitution !

what year model is it?
I have a '59 Romini that functions flawlessly
if yours is close to a 59, i'll do a set of disassembled pics if that may help
Old 02-23-2016, 14:08   #3

It must have been a big year because mine is a 1959 also. It is not completely numbers matching. The bolt and carrier are numbers matching but don't match the rest of the gun.

Old 02-23-2016, 17:33   #4

Kill several birds one rock. Before installing do a complete tear down and remove anything heavier than gun oil.

SKS Owners
Old 02-24-2016, 02:42   #5

Funny you should mention that Chill. I took the gun back down, inspected everything, re-installed everything. I ran 40 rounds through it out at the range yesterday afternoon. It ran flawlessly. I think there may have been something not quite right with how the trigger group and the box magazine went in previously that might have been causing this. I guess I will still try out the new bolt carrier since I already bought it.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:16   #6

I had one where the trigger springs interfered with the hammer because they were bent too far inward. Bending them back in place fixed the problem. I traded it a while back for a Siaga. Siaga in stock form legal. Romanian in stock form felony.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:17   #7
Honor our Constitution !

Originally Posted by dh1633pm View Post
I had one where the trigger springs interfered with the hammer because they were bent too far inward. Bending them back in place fixed the problem. I traded it a while back for a Siaga. Siaga in stock form legal. Romanian in stock form felony.

felony where??

mine's a barely used numbers matching model that I bought from CTD back in the '90s when I had a FFL.

I ground the bayo lug off and cut a 5 rd plug for the mag so I can even hunt our local WMA with it.
Old 02-25-2016, 00:43   #8

The legal issue on all such guns as this is 922R compliance.