• 1 Post By Tailgunner
  • 1 Post By chill1955
  • 2 Post By urbanfox
  • 1 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 1 Post By urbanfox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 20:04   #1

recoil pad yes/no

I'm keeping my norinco sks pretty much stock,(been sitting in a closet for 12 years). But I wonder if the recoil pad is a good thing to install?
urbanfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:43   #2

If you sit to pee, than yes, you need the thickest softest pad you can get.

Seriously, the SKS doesn't have enough recoil to bother most people over the age of 10. Now, the stock may be a bit short for your build, and if simply stretching the stock is your goal, than adding a pad is not a bad way to do this.
Tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:53   #3

There are other reasons a recoil pad may be utilized, I had shoulder surgery that left me with diminished use in my shoulder so by adding a recoil pad I can continue to enjoy target shooting.

It was cheaper to add recoil pads to all my long guns over selling them all and replacing them with lesser calibers but that is just my case.
PigBat, Rockys Pop and Voyager28 like this.

Old 08-05-2015, 14:28   #4

Note to self: don't offer the 375 H&H, with a hard butt, to JRH due to his shoulder surgery.

John, With your off hand, put forward pressure on the forestock (IOW pull back with your trigger hand while pushing forward with your other hand). This locks the muscles of your off-arm causing the recoil to be spread across your entire torso, instead of concentrating it into one shoulder. Also, if bench shooting, keep your back straight up (IOW don't lay over the stock) to allow your upper body to move under recoil.

IMHO 30-06 class is "mild", 375 H&H is the start of "medium", and the 416 Rigby is the start of "firm". And yes, I have shot a few that are in the "retinal detachment danger" range of recoil. So you can see why I consider the 7.62x39 to be in the "what recoil?" class.
JRedHorse likes this.
Tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 19:04   #5

If it makes it more comfortable to shoot, LOP etc. then get one fitted on there. Don't buy the slip-ons they are a$$ ugly.
JRedHorse likes this.
Old 08-05-2015, 19:06   #6

I meant buffer pad my bad, my bad. I am going to add a 1'' butt pad to extend the pull.
JRedHorse and Rockys Pop like this.
Old 08-05-2015, 23:39   #7
Operation:Mindcrime

The original stock does have a short LOP IMO.
Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:46   #8
Honor our Constitution !

Originally Posted by Tailgunner View Post
Note to self: don't offer the 375 H&H, with a hard butt, to JRH due to his shoulder surgery.

John, With your off hand, put forward pressure on the forestock (IOW pull back with your trigger hand while pushing forward with your other hand). This locks the muscles of your off-arm causing the recoil to be spread across your entire torso, instead of concentrating it into one shoulder. Also, if bench shooting, keep your back straight up (IOW don't lay over the stock) to allow your upper body to move under recoil.

IMHO 30-06 class is "mild", 375 H&H is the start of "medium", and the 416 Rigby is the start of "firm". And yes, I have shot a few that are in the "retinal detachment danger" range of recoil. So you can see why I consider the 7.62x39 to be in the "what recoil?" class.
I found 30/378 Wby Mag to be in "pop yer eyeball out" range LOL
JRedHorse likes this.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:48   #9
Honor our Constitution !

Originally Posted by urbanfox View Post
I meant buffer pad my bad, my bad. I am going to add a 1'' butt pad to extend the pull.
get one with the hole for accessing your cleaning kit.....
JMO
Old 08-06-2015, 21:39   #10

ok, thanks guys, I'm going to skip the buffer pad. Going for the recoil pad with access to the cleaning kit.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:46   #11

Most SKS's are so short that I find them with my long arms harder to shoot. You can add a pad to increase the length of pull.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:27   #12
Operation:Mindcrime

I understand the Chi-coms being short, but why the Europeans?
Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 19:08   #13

Did you get one and what brand? Got a pic?
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 18:23   #14

sks reciol pad

I did and I like it. I can still access tools in stock. Ill see if I can dig up the make and model. Never posted a pic so Ill see if I can do that too.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 02-14-2016, 23:41   #15
Major General Chit Chat

I like a butt pad on the SKS and Minis to extend the LOP. It suits me much better. Some people reduce the stock... depends on how it works for you.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:37   #16
TrueShotTech

YES.
If you shoot it like a battle carbine, like 120 rounds per session, or more, then get something to lessen that recoil.
If you shoot it like a high power bolt action, 5 rounds a day, you wouldn't need it, would you.
I like the Phoenix Technology recoil reducing stock, it has a built in spring in the 'buffer' tube and takes out 50% of the recoil, otherwise if you keep the original wood i suggest a 1" limbsaver grind to fit.
7.62x39 used to be called the Russian .308 short, it's not a wimpy round when fired like the gun was designed to be fired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fmj50 is offline   Reply With Quote