Anyone get bored with their SKS - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 01:01   #26

Originally Posted by Scorpion of Mars View Post
I had 2. Spent $20 each, sold em for $80 each.
Did they BOTH work & feed ?
Gator Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:43   #27
Honor our Constitution !

coasrie........"The 1911 Forum"(.com) has an entire sticky thread related to the Krongsberg Colt in its "U.S. and other military issue 1911s" section.
they're still out there, but becoming fewer and farther between every day.
Old 03-09-2015, 13:47   #28

I have a BEAUTIFUL 59/66... Mine is a safe queen... With all the other rifles, its like why bother... Although it sure is fun to fire GOLF BALLS from the grenade launcher adapter with blanks!!! I swear they go forever!!! IT shots well, and is consistent and reliable. and virtually like NEW condition...

It just gets pulled out about once a year... a mag run through it, then cleaned, and tucked back away... <shrug>
Rockys Pop likes this.
Indyarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015, 15:47   #29

Originally Posted by dh1633pm View Post
Sorry Rockys Pop but the SKS although reliable and robust is not exactly perfect. Its trigger could use some help, and the length of pull on the stocks isn't the best. The weight of those bayonets doesn't always help. Almost perfect yes. Perfect? No.

Yes I am bored with mine. Its like a refrigerator. It always works and works so well I forget about it. The beer is always cold. My SKS spends a lot of time just sitting there collecting dust. Balance that with, its always ready just like my fridge.
Well, I've had mine since 1967. Brought it back as a war trophy from Nam. It's ugly as sin, but it never fails to work. An old beater, throw it in the back of the truck or in the trunk of the car and don't worry about it.
USMC Combat Veteran - 1st Recon - Vietnam '66 - '67
US Marine - No better friend, no worse enemy. Semper FI
Onyxtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:50   #30

Popeye,
you have checked for an out of plumb barrel, have you?
coastie
coasrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:09   #31

My Mosin had the rear sight block sweated onto the receiver at about 5 degrees over to the right. I drifted and drifted the front, nadda. So I went scout scope on it, and I hate scout setups. There is a great rear sight block mount (name escapes me at the moment) for the SKS because I have it installed with a speed dot. My glasses blur irons now so irons are kinda out for me.
Old 05-05-2016, 19:28   #32

Originally Posted by Onyxtiger View Post
Well, I've had mine since 1967. Brought it back as a war trophy from Nam. It's ugly as sin, but it never fails to work. An old beater, throw it in the back of the truck or in the trunk of the car and don't worry about it.
If you have the paperwork to document its a bring back that rifle could fetch about 1200 on today's market. Not that I'm suggesting you sell it just may want to take it out of the truck.
Darts2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:18   #33

out of plumb barrel

dismount receiver parts, look through barrel.
May be able to see if "bent".
Old photos show "real" Springfield Armory personnel
correcting/staightening barrels.
good luck, coastie
Old 05-11-2016, 18:17   #34

I am getting ready to get the SG bullpup, that's a great cure for boredom! My SKS is the newest addition to the family and I loved it from the first shot on. I have a speed dot up top and I don't know how to describe it but When I bring it up it's on target and it is one heck of a shooter. And the cheap ammo cycles flawlessly! Whats not to love?
Old 08-03-2016, 19:59   #35

Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
I'm always looking for an original or refurb 1949 Tula SKS with Laminated Stock & crucifix Bayo ...
You meant to say cruciFORM bayo.
hoplophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 14:07   #36

bring back..

Originally Posted by Onyxtiger View Post
I've a cousin who carried one after picking it up from the battle field.
Full of grease and not loaded, 12 year old kids sent out so troops would expose their positions shooting the "hostiles".
His command would not let him bring it home.

He died last year of diabetic complications. Agent Orange, the gift that kept on giving.

Coastie
Old 08-22-2016, 17:21   #37

I have a Romanian, 1959 if I recall correctly. It is mostly numbers matching but not completely. I literally built it out of a big box full of dismantled SKS's at the gun shop. I think I got it for 100 bucks because they weren't sure it would even shoot. I did have to polish the lug on it because it would not let the bolt go completely home.

I have had a problem punching holes through primers on some particular ammo so I just quit running it. Tula I think it was. I will run Golden bear, Silver bear and I just added Red Army Standard to my list of what I consider to be acceptable range rounds.

Mine has some kind of clear over the stained finish which I didn't think was original but I am not sure. I would like to re-finish the stock on it.

I have the stainless firing pin but I took the spring out. I also run a recoil buffer back in the back behind the recoil spring. I installed a muzzle break on it. It uses the front sight pin but you have to drill the pin hole slightly over sized for it to fit. Now, with that on there, the bayonet will not lock open.
Alls I have on it right now is a holographic dot because the scout scope mount has to have a long eye relief. I could really use something with a 6x though because of my eyesight.

I never get bored with my stuff. I systematically rotate through most every weapon for some range time. I may only shoot 10 or 20 rounds unless I am testing or experimenting but it keeps me familiar with what all I have. I haven't run my 7.7 Arisaka in a while. I need to load up a batch for it. I have no closet queen guns.
hottarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 22:50   #38

You can send the bolt to Murry's gunsmithing and he can fix the popped primer issue.
Darts2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 16:39   #39

Agreed

Originally Posted by Darts2116 View Post
You can send the bolt to Murry's gunsmithing and he can fix the popped primer issue.
I would just order his aftermarket firing pin with a spring to avoid any slam fires. Sounds like yours is a bit long?
Old 09-04-2016, 06:35   #40

I did give away my SKS. Gave it to a friend that works at Remington Arms and always does me a lot of favors. They don't make too much at the Arms. Was glad to get it in his hands.
40nascar likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 22:41   #41
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
Never.

Sure, the pull is a bit short, but not if you're a WWII Russian or a tiny Chi-Com in full winter coats & parka.

I had 6. Five Russians were stolen during a burglary a few years back. I only have the 59/66 left.
OMG!! Five of your SKS'S where stolen I feel for you. If it was me I still would be P/O!! I just hope that they get court & go to jail & you get your sks's back.
VOLKSTRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:36   #42

Never get bored to fun to shoot, unfortunately the laws here are limited to 5 rounds.
MadDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 16:26   #43
THC

I purchased a "very nice" Russian SKS before the 2016 election & finally got around to shooting it. I previously owned a Norinco which I traded long ago when they were $100.00 or less. There was talk back then about getting "slam fires" from other SKS rifles but I wasn't having that issue with either of my purchases at the time. Does anyone know of any written articles in magazines regarding the cause of the issue ? I'd like to read up on the issue a bit. I see from some of the posts folks are buying spring-loaded firing pins which should solve the problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction ? Tom
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 16:46   #44

I wish my ‘53 Tula refurbished would shoot straighter. I only used steel case maybe premium ammo would get better groups. The SKS has a short stock to accommodate cold weather gear.
sechott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 16:56   #45

Originally Posted by THC View Post
I purchased a "very nice" Russian SKS before the 2016 election & finally got around to shooting it. I previously owned a Norinco which I traded long ago when they were $100.00 or less. There was talk back then about getting "slam fires" from other SKS rifles but I wasn't having that issue with either of my purchases at the time. Does anyone know of any written articles in magazines regarding the cause of the issue ? I'd like to read up on the issue a bit. I see from some of the posts folks are buying spring-loaded firing pins which should solve the problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction ? Tom
The problem was cosmoline not being cleaned properly. The firing pin should float freely in the bolt with a metallic rattle. Russian made ammo has a harder primer. It is rare but, brass case primers may not be hard enough to prevent slam fire. That is the reasoning for the spring type firing pin.
sechott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:08   #46

Talking

Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
How many of you have had functioning "Star" 20 round fixed Chinese Magazines ?
Have one that works perfectly.

But a good Cigar is a Smoke."

Rudyard Kipling

The Betrothed
BolivarPetitCoronas (Cab) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:08   #47

My first post on the SKS. I'm no expert on the SKS and I'm probably not saying anything most experienced SKS shooters don't already know but if anyone who's never owned one's been wondering about whether they're worth it at todays prices here goes.

IMO the SKS has been the best value out there for a home defense or centerfire plinker rifle for a long time. I've owned several over the past 25/30 years one Russian and two or three Norincos. All have functioned reliably with all kinds of ammo. My current one is a like new Norinco that I got for $275 a few years ago. After paying $89 back in the 90s I hesitated at that price but I'm glad I bought it now.

I've removed the bayonet, ground off it's barrel attachment and put a Tapco stock extension on all of mine. Other than that and a Mojo peep sight on this last one have been the only modifications. The Mojo is a quality product but I've got my doubts about needing it. I haven't seen much if any more accuracy with it but it does seem like I can get on target a little faster with it

Our range has a steel plate that's either 18 or 24 inches in diameter at 230 yards. With Privi Partizan SP or FMJ ammo I'm usually been able to hit it with either the factory or Mojo rear sight nine out of ten times off a bench if someone spots for me. At 25 yards or under rapid fire I've found I can hit silhouette and smaller targets pretty consistently by looking through the front sight hood to aim without focusing on the rear sight.

One other factor to consider is so far in their original condition with a wood stock and ten shot fixed magazine they've not gotten the negative attention some other rifles have.
r80rt, 40nascar and Rockys Pop like this.
0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:05   #48

Anyone getting tired of their SKS?

To quote Harry, of the "Harry and Tonto" movie fame, madam, I do not understand the question!
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:46   #49

Kinda hard to get bored with reliability & accuracy.
My first SKS was purchased new in the mid 90s for $125. Ran great. Sold it when I had to thin my collection to buy my first house.

Then picked up an ‘89 long collar SKS in a Monte Carlo stock with a Tapco mag for cheap at a yard sale. Spent $70 for an unissued Russian fixed 10 round mag and replaced the Monte Carlo upper handguard with a used railed Tapco handguard, shimmed it to take the slop out of it and mounted a cheap optic.

So my setup has zero collectible value and isn’t worth much more than what I spent. But it runs great and has superb accuracy for me.

Trigger isn’t great compared to a good AK trigger or an old surplus Mauser but it works well enough. Spend 15 minutes with my Sub2K and you’ll never complain about any other trigger again.

SKS isn’t perfect. At current prices a Ruger Ranch bolt action 7.62x39 is within striking distance, and already has a pic rail and doesn’t need a spring loaded firing pin or trigger work. And an AK mag variant SKS seems to fetch more than a used Mini-30. But it’s a nice piece of history with no real faults that’s cheap to buy, cheap to feed & cheap to fix. Win.
Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 23:42   #50

I found the reciept, it was $99! Have to look at the year. Norinco, all matching numbers. Wanted to get a Saiga in 7.62x39, but Obama killed that,and they are darn expensive now. Funny, years ago I was gonna buy a Saiga, but cant remember what I got instead. Was gonna do the AK mag mod.
CQBinKalifornia2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote