Change in moderation policy - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Site News and Information Have a question about the site, post it here. Forum news and updates will also be posted here.

Like Tree399Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2015, 18:49   #26

Thank you Gentlemen for the confidence BUT I think what we need more is a traffic Officer to steer posts into the proper threads and I'd vote to have a page dedicated to key board slug fest's , maybe we can name it the "Meat Grinder" where those that enjoy cyber sparing can "Take it outside as they say" LOL!.

As for me getting drafted as a moderator.....I will take it under advisement...
Old 06-27-2015, 18:56   #27

I think if someone needs moderation then it is up to the others to reign him in.

I have done this in the past and it can be done with enough respect so that the individual or individuals calm down and nobodies feelings get hurt.

I read one thread here somewhere that the two guys were going at it tooth and nail and calling each other everything but a white men.

This is inappropriate and a moderator should have shut them down. But this could have been done by PM ing them to cool it. That way the disrespect and embarrassment doesn't get multiplied. Just a firm hand bringing everyone back to earth.

Sometimes people post stuff meant to be provocative and I guess this is Trolling?

Usually it doesn't go anywhere. for long as they are exposed as trolls.

By the same token if you want to see over moderation go to the KTOG forum. I was almost banned there for language, which was considered by most anyone to be tame by todays standards. Those guys were very concerned that their kids might read the word Krap and die from an ear infection. I backed out of there and only visit from a distance now.

So the degree of moderation for a given site has to go hand in hand with the level of disrespect that is exhibited.

It is up to the owner what he wants to do, but I would lean towards less not more moderation. Sometimes these things have a way of working themselves out. If someone persists at being an Ahole then they can be plumbed up, or dumped as necessary.

Randy
whofarted and fishslayerbob like this.
Old 06-27-2015, 19:02   #28

Originally Posted by A/J/S/USNRet View Post
Well whofarted, how do you expect to deal with the Old and Experienced vs the New and Unbridled situations that arise within the firearms sections?
Let say an Old Drop your A.L.I.C.E and become mobile person, gets into a Heated Discussion with one of the Young Carry 76 lbs worth of everything because it's to important to Drop Folks. Neither is wrong but the two viewpoints don't coexist?
Who gets the time out or worse, and who makes the call?

First off... Kevin would never make me a Mod.. so this is all hypothetical.

I would first find a translator to help me understand what the hell you just said... Once that happens... Nah.. I just funnin ur old ass

Folks can disagree. There is nothing wrong with that. Part of what needs to happen is folks need to contain the nonsense to nonsense areas. Other than that it would have to be taken on a case to case basis.

Funny thing is... I dont think you or Durango should be banned as much as other people might think. You two should chill out a bit and try to coexist with everybody here... Im pretty sure it calls this a community somewhere on the forum. Nobody should want to be the dick of the neighborhood and nobody wants to be the dicks neighbor either.

I do think the jackasses that came form parts unknown to chase Durango around should have been dealt with. They were here strictly to start trouble.
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2015, 19:05   #29

Oh and BTW.. Randy has my vote.
fishslayerbob likes this.
Old 06-27-2015, 19:09   #30

I agree that Kevin can make anyone he wants as moderator. But to make it go smoother with us, it would be wise to choose someone most of us respect.
Old 06-27-2015, 19:19   #31

How bout this. Durango, Free and myself are a 3 Mod panel. We have to agree on actions taken..

Can you imagine that..
Durango Ranger likes this.
Old 06-27-2015, 19:30   #32

I think of moderation a lot like the card catalog at my local library, everything is there but every thing is put in it's proper place so that things run smooth, other wise, if you throw all those cards into a big pile you will never find the knowledge you were seeking, all you are doing then is throwing a lot of cards around.

I think a good Mod could tighten up the use of assigned threads and I also think two adults have every right to engage with each other even when their opinions are at odds, a good Mod will always be watchful of any statements or threats of physical violence towards any other member though.

I think a good Mod would be one that can stand on neutral ground when it comes to politics, every man has different ideas of what is wrong and right but it is how he states his case that may allow others to understand his point of view.

A think a good Mod would have to be at least a little diplomatic , now those are hard to come by these days, LOL!

The more "Neutral" a person can become the better Mod they would make is my opinion.

Sure we all like to act up now and then, some of us let our inner child out just long enough to peek at the grown up world and others let theirs run them like a baby eating a bowl of sugar !

I think making the "Tariff" for committing wanton violations should fit the "Crime",
ie: You hi-jack a thread... Restitution will be = No more posts in that thread for the day.

If the case of a dispute between the Mod and the offending Member, the "Offending party" may call upon 6 other members to vouch for Him / Her and give the accused a pass or not, at the least make it fun.

This is a great site, it has come along way since I joined, it has had it's ups and downs but I like this place and my armed Brothers & Sisters here enough, and care enough to help make this a better place.

Everyone must Graduate at some point to the next level in their life and it is my hope that we can graduate together and create a more organized and peaceful place.

When I think of moderators I get the image of a "Hall monitor" more than a Teacher or a Principal ...

It would be nice if the Mod knew at least a little about firearms but we must remember when we were new at this and be thankful too those who shared their knowledge with us along our road to firearm ownership.

And if the Mod had a little negotiating skills to boot that would be a big plus.

I think Folks could step forward and throw their name in the hat for a vote as one member here has already brought up.
Old 06-27-2015, 19:37   #33

The only thing I feel compelled to say is....you realize you can type out dick right?
Old 06-27-2015, 19:48   #34
Banned

Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
The only thing I feel compelled to say is....you realize you can type out dick right?
Why bother? Isn't it better to leave something to the Imagination? Sort of like Negligee!
Scorpion of Mars likes this.
A/J/S/USNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 20:11   #35

We ban you and never look back
freesw likes this.
Old 06-27-2015, 20:19   #36
Banned

We ban you and never look back
There is that Ban word again. Just let the sponsors Know that once you have been Banned you won;t Purchase from them again and see what that gets you!
Old 06-27-2015, 20:31   #37

Talking They are sent to the "Reading room"

Originally Posted by Scorpion of Mars View Post
I got one. We have some serious problem children, what do we do with them?
If trying to work it out with them gets no results they are sent to the "Reading room" where they can read any posts but not reply to any until they can promise to behave!

"Go to your room before I give you something to cry about young man" !!!

Last edited by JRedHorse; 06-28-2015 at 10:18.
JRedHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 20:35   #38

Originally Posted by JRedHorse View Post
If trying to work it out with them gets no results they are sent to the "Reading room" where they can read any posts but not reply to any until they can promise to behave!

"Go to your room before I give you something to cry about young man" !!!
Create a new forum. Call it The Asylum. You are banned from every other forum other than The Asylum. Therefore sponsors still get seen. Jackasses still have a place to play. No moderation takes place on The Asylum unless laws are broken. I've played this game in a past life
Old 06-27-2015, 20:37   #39

There is that Ban word again. Just let the sponsors Know that once you have been Banned you won;t Purchase from them again and see what that gets you!
That was directed specifically at Scorpion.
Old 06-27-2015, 20:46   #40
Banned

That was directed specifically at Scorpion.
Sorry whofarted, but I've had a few late night discussions with SOM and He might have a leg up on You. But the only person I ever confessed to was Durango. Like that 007 Movie He's Kept my "Secrets safe at night" . Thanks!
Durango Ranger likes this.
Old 06-27-2015, 20:49   #41

Gee... Its hard living life as a mushroom.. I wish folks would shine a light on me more often.. but then again who am I to think I should be kept in the loop.
Old 06-27-2015, 21:01   #42

I really need to take the VIP behind the scenes studio tour one of these days
Old 06-27-2015, 21:12   #43
Banned

Gee... Its hard living life as a mushroom.. I wish folks would shine a light on me more often.. but then again who am I to think I should be kept in the loop.
It's like the space behind the green door, You can only go there in pairs (2), and you need to make a Friend to make that happen. But I need to consider the 300 pound gorilla in the room. (Maybe that's why COSteve started to play VooDoo Games with Me. Then withdrew so quickly) He's an Orbitz Pass-card Kind of Guy in a Swiper no Swiping World and decided that He didn't have the right code on the right day to play in the High Tech Game Room. Sorry whofarted, you don't know the man with the power! What power? The Power of Voodoo. Man this is some Old Stuff, wouldn't blame you if you screamed for an interpreter. Must have been that life as a mushroom stuff that started my loose lips.
Old 06-27-2015, 21:14   #44

It's like the space behind the green door, You can only go there in pairs (2), and you need to make a Friend to make that happen. But I need to consider the 300 pound gorilla in the room. (Maybe that's why COSteve started to play VooDoo Games with Me. Then withdrew so quickly) He's an Orbitz Pass-card Kind of Guy in a Swiper no Swiping World and decided that He didn't have the right code on the right day to play in the High Tech Game Room. Sorry whofarted, you don't know the man with the power! What power? The Power of Voodoo. Man this is some Old Stuff, wouldn't blame you if you screamed for an interpreter. Must have been that life as a mushroom stuff that started my loose lips.
Maybe one day I might make a pal on here.

Last edited by whofarted; 06-27-2015 at 21:15. Reason: psst. folks.. the mushroom tip makes his lips loose... hmmm
Old 06-27-2015, 21:28   #45
Banned

Use it for your signature!
You can fill me in on that signature TAG Line Stuff in a PM SOM.
Old 06-27-2015, 21:31   #46

There are 4 or 5 people whose only reason for being here is to try to ruin the board. There are 10 or 12 who help them succeed by responding and talking about them constantly.

You fix the board by either banning those 4 or 5 people, or create a fight room and move every post that crosses the line, to that room.

I know politics and religion can get contentious, but this is a gun related site. That doesn't mean everyone should agree on everything, but we should agree enough that the politics section should be a place where generally like-minded people can discuss politics like adults without "kultist" being thrown in our faces in every thread.

I'm pretty confident Grumpy wouldn't want to moderate this place, I know I wouldn't. Jesse seems interested, and I don't think you could possibly find a better choice. Just a little warning to Jesse, be careful what you wish for. You will be thrown into the middle of childish crap constantly, and often both sides won't like how you handle it. That's why creating a fight room works, you just throw them in there and let them have at it. Anyone (like me) who is tired of the nonsense and just wants reasonable discussion can stay out of that room entirely.
BengalBacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 21:42   #47

Originally Posted by BengalBacker View Post
There are 4 or 5 people whose only reason for being here is to try to ruin the board. There are 10 or 12 who help them succeed by responding and talking about them constantly.

You fix the board by either banning those 4 or 5 people, or create a fight room and move every post that crosses the line, to that room.

I know politics and religion can get contentious, but this is a gun related site. That doesn't mean everyone should agree on everything, but we should agree enough that the politics section should be a place where generally like-minded people can discuss politics like adults without "kultist" being thrown in our faces in every thread.

Nope.. Never gonna happen. Only extremist want to "discuss politics" on the net

I'm pretty confident Grumpy wouldn't want to moderate this place, I know I wouldn't.

I thought the same thing but didnt think it was my place to say it

Jesse seems interested, and I don't think you could possibly find a better choice. Just a little warning to Jesse, be careful what you wish for. You will be thrown into the middle of childish crap constantly, and often both sides won't like how you handle it.

I really think that would burn him out quickly

That's why creating a fight room works, you just throw them in there and let them have at it.

Wait a second.. didnt I already say that

Anyone (like me) who is tired of the nonsense and just wants reasonable discussion can stay out of that room entirely.
should be fun
Old 06-27-2015, 22:11   #48

There are 4 or 5 people whose only reason for being here is to try to ruin the board. There are 10 or 12 who help them succeed by responding and talking about them constantly....
That's your opinion. I think you are trying to ruin the board by enforcing conformity.

That doesn't mean everyone should agree on everything
Of course that's what it means. You try to shut people down for opinions you don't like.

... That's why creating a fight room works, you just throw them in there and let them have at it. Anyone (like me) who is tired of the nonsense and just wants reasonable discussion can stay out of that room entirely.
A look back at the actual discussions that have taken place will clearly show that what you call "nonsense" and "reasonable discussion" isn't nearly as cut and dried as you make it out to be. In most cases, I'd call it the reverse.
A/J/S/USNRet likes this.
Old 06-27-2015, 22:58   #49

I think the vast majority of the board would disagree, the mods need firearm knowledge. In addition, does being a mod mean you are excluded from firearms discussion?

I think we could find a few very decent people to take up the task.
The sole purpose of a moderator is to moderate behavior. As such they do not need to know anything about the subject at hand. If somebody posts something that is obviously inaccurate (You know, something like "All Glocks are dangerous pieces of ****", or "All 1911's are dinosaurs that need to be melted down and made into paperweights.") then the forum members will take that person to task.

If one of those members says "I'm going to hunt you down and kill you for what you said about Glocks/1911's" then that would be where a moderator would intervene.

Also, a moderator who has not knowledge or interest in firearms is actually going to be far more impartial than one who does by default.

Should a mod be excluded form the firearms discussions? Only if they cannot maintain impartiality. But then, a mod with no knowledge of firearms would not have many biases one way or the other.
Warlock99 likes this.
Cotonroksukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:51   #50

I never had a problem with the unmoderated forum, I have never been able to shape the world to my liking, and have accepted the fact that there are crackpots, racists, reverse racists, political ideas differing, cusswords, threats of violence, liars, flag wavers, flag burners, old people, young people, old ideas, new ideas. This forum runs the gamut of ideas and offers free expression to all. Then again I am fairly thick skinned and vary from being a frequent visitor to an infrequent one.

I fear that some here would apply the banhammer too often , like a fifth grade hall pass monitor.

Really the only thing I have considered out of line is the threat of raping and sodomizing family members, that has been posted. Posts such as these contribute nothing of value to a political discussion board.

Do what Ya'll want , hell I may get banned myself..ain't no telling .

If I had to cast a vote prolly be for GOM or JRed.
shootnpoot likes this.