"You Don't Have to Aim a Shotgun!" Shotgun Mythbusting - Page 3 - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 12:19   #51

Originally Posted by whoa View Post
oh, things like how FAST you can reliably get hits on the chest, in the dark, with or without a light, or same for cover using heads. things like you IMAGINE that you will get to go get a longarm, etc, etc, etc.
where the HELL do you live!??!!!!!

good gawd
unclebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 17:49   #52
Registered Member

If you do what you are supposed to do and look down along the top of your receiver and barrel and center it on your opponent, you'll hit him somewhere every time (within 50 yards). Whether or not that is considered "aiming" or "pointing" is semantics as far as I'm concerned.
pglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:31   #53
Draw, Varmint!

Ref: 'whoa;748929'

Originally Posted by pigbat View Post
hmmm...i thought the volume and "expertise" of his postings sounded familiar:

And, from our old buddy "tap", aka gunkid (5/10/2011):

knew a guy who did 114 daylight home invasions
during a 30 day period. His skin was green from using "speedball"s (heroin and speed mixture) and not eating at all during that period. He would just kick in the door, or cover up with his jacket and dive thru a window, grab a tv or something of value, and run sell it to the dope man. Not once did he hear a shot or see a gun, even tho people usually were in the house. So much for having the time needed to go get a "home defense" firearm! :-). If you are not wearing it, you probably won't have the chance to use it., except by pure luck.
Brilliant Catch! (My compliments!)

PS: Would anyone like to bring this incredibly wandering thread back online? The original topic is one of my favorite subjects; and I taught it, with some success, for years.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:56   #54

you ASSUME that he'll be fully exposed to your fire, and that your pattern will be centered. But it wont be. If you were the type to actually center your pattern, you'd be using a rifle. When people are using cover, 00 buck and a typical riot barrel have head-and shoulder sized holes in the pattern at 25 yds.. Random hits to shoulder and gut, with what amounts to a 38 lrn from a snubby cannot be counted upon to mean diddly for quite some time, meaning many minutes, or even hours in some cases.
toyhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:55   #55
AKA CRABBY

Originally Posted by toyhw View Post
you ASSUME that he'll be fully exposed to your fire, and that your pattern will be centered. But it wont be. If you were the type to actually center your pattern, you'd be using a rifle. When people are using cover, 00 buck and a typical riot barrel have head-and shoulder sized holes in the pattern at 25 yds.. Random hits to shoulder and gut, with what amounts to a 38 lrn from a snubby cannot be counted upon to mean diddly for quite some time, meaning many minutes, or even hours in some cases.
LOL you're responding to a 4+ year old post
The member isn't even around nowdays but that's OK we understand its a corona thing.
Rockys Pop and Bepe like this.
SMOGGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 23:21   #56
Honor our Constitution !

Originally Posted by SMOGGUY View Post
LOL you're responding to a 4+ year old post
The member isn't even around nowdays but that's OK we understand its a corona thing.
I sure do miss members like Lone Gunman, Durango Ranger, AjUSNret, etc etc......
Old 04-09-2020, 07:00   #57

I chat with Durango and AJ now and then via email.
Rockys Pop likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:19   #58

regardless of who's around, the post still gets read by current and future people. Do you really 'think' that these issues change every month, or what? They were the same thing 50 years ago and my answer still applies. Nothing is going to change about it. If you make the pattern tighter, like a Vang Barrel does, it might as well be a rifle inside 30 ft. The choice of shotgun is the mark of the guy who wont train enough to be waf with rifle and pistol. I haven't bothered to own one in over 40 years and never will. I do my small game hunting with a pocket .22lr, to make it interesting. Birds all land and can be stalked just like game. Critters all stop running. it's for SPORT, so what if you dont score? It doesnt mean anything and I'm getting practice with one of my shtf guns, as well as my stalking.

If you really do need to score on small game, better have a fighting rifle with a sound suppressor, night sights, night vision and armor, and be using 40+ traps, snares, trotlines, bird lime, fish poison and net weirs and seines. That will be the only way that you can reasonably count upon having 5-10 lbs of live weight flesh food every day. Walking around with a shotgun, making all that noise, is just going to get you shot if it's shtf.
toyhw is offline   Reply With Quote