Skeet Gun? - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Ben Dover
  • 1 Post By Carpshooter
  • 1 Post By Tailgunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 12:31   #1

Skeet Gun?

Don't really want to spend upwards to 3 grand... am thinking about a Red Label. Seems a tad heavy though.

Any one have thoughts you could share?

Thanks
montanakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:42   #2
Trojan33

Originally Posted by montanakid View Post
Don't really want to spend upwards to 3 grand... am thinking about a Red Label. Seems a tad heavy though.

Any one have thoughts you could share?

Thanks
I have a Ruger Red Label .... Love it ...very nicely balanced, shoots great and it is a real looker
Trojan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 13:09   #3

Originally Posted by Trojan33 View Post
I have a Ruger Red Label .... Love it ...very nicely balanced, shoots great and it is a real looker
Hey thanks Trojan33!

Old 05-05-2014, 17:13   #4

Pick up and handle a few different skeeters. Most gun club guys will offer the loan of their shotgun to let you try a round of skeet. IOW find one that fits YOU.
That said, I'm nothing but happy with my Browning GTI (technically it's a sporting clays gun, not a skeeter). The few RRL's I've tried all felt to nose heavy for my taste. The Perazzi I tried felt to narrow in the cheek, for my face.

BTW, don't be afraid of a used skeet gun, a lot of guys like trading around and most skeet guns have are good for a 1/4 million + rounds before needing anything more than a detail cleaning

Fit is the #1 consideration
Durability is 2nd and price is #3 (or lower).
A Mossberg will grind them just as well as a Kreghorf, but if the K doesn't fit YOU, you won't be happy with it, and if the Mossy fits you to a "T" than that's the gun for you (just expect to replace it on a regular basis, as it won't take the pounding of a couple thousand rounds a month for long)
Tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:40   #5

Good advice tail-gunner.

Used to shoot a ton of skeet in California using a Wetherby Athena O/U. Sold it years ago and thought skeet was a thing of the past until the little lady and I moved back to Montana and found out I am living next to a range about 20-Mts. from my front door. (Calif the ranges were more than an hour away not to mention the traffic.)

So... like Michael in the Godfather epics... "I am being pulled back in."

We gun nuts are suckers... bit it's so damn much fun.

PS... yeah I heard from a couple of boys in Cabelas that the RL was heavy in the front end not really a quick pointer. Some guys swear by them however.

I am 68 and after a few rounds start to feel it... so I am looking for a light, short barreled gun. Didn't think about a used one... duh... good idea.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:50   #6
Keeper of the records

If it starts to get to you after a few rounds, take a hard look at the Remington 1100 Skeet. The gas operated autos really tame the recoil, and your scores will usually go up dramatically.
Carpshooter and A/J/S/USNRet like this.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:49   #7
Trojan33

Originally Posted by montanakid View Post
Good advice tail-gunner.

Used to shoot a ton of skeet in California using a Wetherby Athena O/U. Sold it years ago and thought skeet was a thing of the past until the little lady and I moved back to Montana and found out I am living next to a range about 20-Mts. from my front door. (Calif the ranges were more than an hour away not to mention the traffic.)

So... like Michael in the Godfather epics... "I am being pulled back in."

We gun nuts are suckers... bit it's so damn much fun.

PS... yeah I heard from a couple of boys in Cabelas that the RL was heavy in the front end not really a quick pointer. Some guys swear by them however.

I am 68 and after a few rounds start to feel it... so I am looking for a light, short barreled gun. Didn't think about a used one... duh... good idea.
pretty sure that the rl still comes in a few different barrel lengths
Trojan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39   #8

Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
If it starts to get to you after a few rounds, take a hard look at the Remington 1100 Skeet. The gas operated autos really tame the recoil, and your scores will usually go up dramatically.
Thanks Ben,

I am so dialed in to O/U's that I haven't thought of autos... I will look nto it.
Old 07-07-2014, 16:18   #9

yep, and get a stock that fits you, along with a proper recoil pad. YOu ARE using 3/4 oz #9 skeet loads, correct?
nickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:54   #10

I'd take a look at the Remington 1100 s , they come in 4 different gauges and are the most award winning guns !
A/J/S/USNRet likes this.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:25   #11

My Buddy does very well with his Remington 870 Wing Master.
Old 11-08-2014, 18:57   #12

Skeet is a truly American shooting sport. I shoot w a bud who bought a Ruger Red Label to shoot skeet with. It beat him up too much so he installed a Graco recoil reducer and had the stock refinished. His scores did not go up.

He bought a Beretta 692 skeet gun and tube set - a bit extreme for a beginner but he loves it and his scores have gone up dramatically.

Fo most people, I would advise a Remington or Beretta Gas gun - compeition grade guns hold their value better and run better on lighter loads which skeet is known for.

I would definitely not go cheap on an O/U if you intend to shoot skeet w it. Bender says to go w a gun as long and as heavy as you can hold. Weight reduces recoil and remember, this is NOT a field gun. Longer barrels have a greather sight radius and quite frankly, just swing smoother. The combination helps you swing through the target.

Yet, each person is unique - buy whichever gun "fits" you better. Quality guns tend to hold their value and a competition grade gun can run up to 50,000 rds w/o issue. Truly amazing how long some guns can run w competitors shooting 3-400 rds a week.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 12-13-2014 at 21:01.
Gonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:19   #13

Nobody says you have to shoot skeet with a 12 ga. I use a browning Citori Sporting Clays edition in .410 with 32" bbls..

It is a dream to shoot. I shoot it better than I shot my Citori 12ga.

Nowadays a Sporting Clays gun is by far the best all around choice for shooting Clays.

The trend has been towards longer barrels for some time now since they tend to swing smoother.

Breaking 20 with a .410 is more rewarding than running them with a 12 ga.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Skeet Gun?-19202.jpg  
Old 06-16-2015, 17:28   #14

WRB
The 410 is a "Pro's" gauge, not a beginners or "duffers" gauge. Nothing discourages a new shooter more than constantly missing, and sticking them with a 410 will insure a lot of missing.

The trick to recoil reduction is to shoot 20ga loads in a 12ga hull IOW 12ga 7/8oz or 1oz, of shot, at 1150fps (1 1/8oz @ 1200fps is a standard 12ga clay load).

The 20ga is also a good place to start. The 28ga, not so much as shells are harder to find
Old 06-16-2015, 17:48   #15
Registered Member

I used to use my Winchester Pigeon Grade 101 for trap and skeet. I bought a Beretta O/U 20 gauge because it was a deal at the time. I started using it on the skeet field and it is more than enough to get the job done, in fact it's fine for trap at the 16 yard line also! Just change chokes and enjoy shooting with no real recoil to speak of.
camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 18:43   #16
Banned

Anyone know if Remington still offers the Parker Doubles? They had some fine Skeet Guns. JMHO.
A/J/S/USNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 18:34   #17

My favorite skeet gun is a Browning Double Auto.....Look'um up on Gun Broker.com......Great lite weight shot gun,and can double as a Upland Game gun...Browning quit making them in 1964, but there are still some available...
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 13:02   #18

sight radius ???
Since all birds fly he same path.
Don't most Skeet shooters shoot to a "Spot"?
What good is sight Radius on a Skeet gun or for that matter a Trap gun?
B/J/M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 18:49   #19

Most skeet shooters swing through the bird (pull through), amount of lead depends on your swing speed.
The top pros swing at the same speed as, and ahead of the bird (sustained lead)

Barrels, the longer the better. But not so much for the radius, but for the added forward weight. Yes it takes longer/more effort to get moving BUT it is also harder to stop your swing when you slap the trigger (the biggest mistake new shooters make, stopping their swing).
O/U shooters use barrels a couple inches longer than other action types, when I started 26" was common, than 28's took over and I hear that a number of skeet shooters are using 30" tubes now (speaking of O/U's). I can tell you that the "coach guns" are just about useless for shooting skeet.

Trap barrels are set up to shoot high (birds are still climbing). Skeet barrels shoot flat, and Clays barrels shoot low (birds tend to be falling at the shot)
A/J/S/USNRet likes this.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:52   #20
Banned

About an affordable Over/Under, some of us "Oldsters" might recall names like Savage, A.H. Fox, Stevens,etc they produced some field grade O/U and S/S that didn't empty the wallet completely in days past. Here is a link to the Model 555 Stevens: Stevens Model 555 Shotgun Review - Shooting Times
I believe this will be even more cost conscious than Ruger.
A/J/S/USNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:21   #21

Originally Posted by JRedHorse View Post
My Buddy does very well with his Remington 870 Wing Master.
Same here, I have four, all Wing Masters, two set up for homestead defense/preditor control, one for waterfowl and one for upland that I use for skeet and sporting clays.
Old 10-16-2020, 18:42   #22

Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Years ago I met an old HS guy and he invites me to his club, no one there. We go to the Skeet range with his 1100 Skeet. My first and only round ever 24/25. Great gun.
Icanthitabarn2 is online now   Reply With Quote