Finally proficient @ 20 gu. Flint loads !! - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 1 Post By Marlin 45 carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2019, 18:53   #1
Matthew 5:9

Finally proficient @ 20 gu. Flint loads !!

this took many formulas and an awful lot of trial and error, but as is said, "the journey is half the game".

I have a Flintlock .62 smooth-bore musket, which = +/- 20 gauge shotgun that is a historically correct copy of Chief Tecumseh's gun that is in the "Museum of the fur trade" and was picked up off the battleground he died on.

The museum knows it was most likely his because he had requested a NorthWest Trade Gun 8" shorter than all others.

anyhow.....

it shot roundball just great when I got it......but every shot size greater than #7.5. left terrible "doughnut" holes in the overall patterns. (no pellets in the center of the target)

after many months on various BP forums and in ML groups online I gathered all I learned and am now getting GREAT patterns with 00 buck, #4 #6& #7.5 shot

loading is as follows.......
(depending on distance & shot size) 65-80 grains of 1F black powder

1 20 gu. cork overpowder card

1-1.5 oz of shot held in pre-made brown paper shot cup.......greased on outside......top end cut off just above shot before ramming home

shredded and oiled sisal (rope) fibers compressed at least 3/4" thick above shot.....more fiber for more powder/shot/distance
(never use cotton balls as this causes doughnutting and are an EXTREME FIRE HAZARD)

prime pan w/powder of choice.....i've been using 1F lately to avoid carrying 2 horns....my big arsed pan ignites 1f as well as 4f

enjoy, and be ready to pick pellets out of your dinner !

Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:42   #2

when I 'trekked' in muzzle loader 'style' I carried my smoothbore capper pistol - 10" barrel that is 20 gauge. very capable for most anything loaded with #4 buck. sadly, those most enjoyable times are done for me.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 12-01-2019, 14:34   #3
Matthew 5:9

Originally Posted by Marlin 45 carbine View Post
when I 'trekked' in muzzle loader 'style' I carried my smoothbore capper pistol - 10" barrel that is 20 gauge. very capable for most anything loaded with #4 buck. sadly, those most enjoyable times are done for me.
Yes Sir.....one day i'll own a big bore horse musket / pistol as they are not only an excellent all around gun, they also make a deadly war club after firing !!

I currently have a 10.5" .50 cal. rifled Kentucky pistol by Pedersoli.
the lock (Flint) interchanges perfectly with my .50 rifle lock just in case something happens "on the trek" to my rifle lock.
At 25 yards it shoots well enough to drop a 5" steel plate MOST shots. (but not all) i'll estimate an 80% hit ratio.