The Mossberg 590 - Shooting Sports Forum

Shotgun Misc All makes and models of shotguns discussed here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 14:18   #1
Administrator

The Mossberg 590

Lets talk about the mossberg 590.

Some of the differences between the mossberg 590 and the remington model 700:

Remington 870 has a choke - the mossberg 590 does not. This limits the 590 usage as a hunting shotgun - unless you are up close and personal with hogs or deer. And I mean really up close, as in less then 35 yards.

The remington 870 and mossberg 500 are good all around shotguns that should give you years service. Both have chokes that can be changed out, both are good for duck hunting, bird hunting, hunting small game, deer hunting or just about anything else.

Remington 870 has a longer barrel - should hold a tighter pattern then the 590.

Mossberg 590 receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope - remington 870 is not.

Mossberg 590 has a bayonet lug, remington 870 does not

Bushmaster AR-15 and a Mossberg 590 side by side

If there is one thing that I had to say about the Mossberg 590, I like how solid the shotgun feels. When you hold the mossberg 590, it does not feel cheap or feel like a toy. When you pick it up, it feels like a tool that is ready to work.

My one complaint is that the action seems a little "long". When I am holding the 590, my left arm feels like its having to stretch out there to hold the shotgun. Maybe its that I have gotten use to shorter firearms? Maybe I need to spend more time in the woods with my 590? I am not sure.

Several months ago I bought a light kit for my 590, and I need to get that installed sometime soon.

If there were 2 things that I would add to the Mossberg 590, it would be a light kit and a side saddle.

The light kit would be for tactical situations, and the side saddle is for carrying that little bot of extra ammo with you.

My personal experience of using the Mossberg 590 in a home defensive situation has been after hurricane Ike and Hurricane Rita. With Hurricane Rita the power stayed off for about 18 days, with hurricane Ike the power stayed off for about 4 or 5 days.

In the aftermath of Hurricanes Rita and Ike, I never had to use my 590 to defend my home, but I felt secure knowing that I had protection close at hand.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:12   #2
Tracker

The Mossi 590 Is a dedicated tactical shot gun with a 20 In barrel a hand
guard and as you noted a bayonet lug. the Rem 870 is a hunting gun you that you can change the barrel to a 20 or 18 inch barrel.
Your comparing apples to oranges. Now a fairer comparison would be a Mossi 500 to a Rem 870 hunting gun or a Mossi 590 to a Rem 870 dedicated custom Tactical.
Rem really doesn't have anything like a 590 in their catalog. The closest is the 877 Nitro Mag tactical which has close to the option the 590 has.
Joe-R

Fast is fine but accuracy is final. You must learn to be slow in a hurry!
Wyatt Earp
XR750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 14:11   #3
Isolationist Libertarian

Like Kevin I found my 7 shot mag to be too much out front, a light would add to that. One of the members here now has the long front of my 500 and I have a 5 shot and 18 1/2" barrel. I have the old 4 shot sidesaddle and a Speedfeed stock so I can carry and sort 8 more rounds. The tube is loaded with 4 buck, sidesaddle with 00 and stock with slugs. Used to have a light in the sidesaddle, my advice to others would be to pass on that. I've always liked the idea of the 590 and the steel trigger assy. but starting over just for that hasn't sparked enough interest besides as mentioned by the OP I can throw on an accuchoke barrel and play other games if need be. BTW all my late model 500s are drilled and tapped also.