Picked up a Remington 1100 - Shooting Sports Forum

Shotgun Misc All makes and models of shotguns discussed here.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By cleanodeano
  • 1 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 1 Post By sandog
  • 1 Post By sandog
  • 1 Post By dh1633pm
  • 1 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 2 Post By sandog
  • 1 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 1 Post By dh1633pm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2020, 07:00   #1

Picked up a Remington 1100

Most of my life I've had pump shotguns along with a few over/unders.
I bought an 1100 about 10 years ago for a good price that someone had started to make into a Tactical semi auto. It had a short rifle sight barrel and mag extension. I put a ghost ring sight on it and Cerakoted it FDE.
A neighbor was impressed how fast you could dump out 7 rounds of buckshot, he just had to have it, so I sold it to him at a profit.

My Aunt has an 1100 on her Ranch in Montana, and I used that 1100 to great effect discouraging winged varmints from stealing chicken eggs and their feed.
I started looking around for a used 1100 as new ones here are $1049 plus tax.

I saw one at a neighboring town listed for $490. I talked to the older guy, maybe in his early 70's and he said he had bough it years ago and duck hunted with it maybe 4 times. He was selling it for less as he had sprayed it with Bow paint, and said there was still some paint in the checkering.
There was paint a lot more places than that, in the engraving on the receiver, around the trigger guard, the buttplate ribs, bolt handle, etc.

He said he had used Hoppe's #9 to strip the paint, and it ate most of the finish off the stock. I told him it was going to be a lot of work getting the rest of the paint off and refinishing the stock. He came down to $425, so I bought it. I probably could have got him down lower but I had a lot of other errands to do.

This morning I have spent a couple hours detail cleaning the shotgun, and the metal parts are like new. I believe him when he said he only hunted with it 4 times, not a scratch on it. As near as I can figure ( date code on barrel is hard to make out), from the serial # prefix it was made in-between 1978 and 1985.

There was a lot of plastic wad fouling just ahead of the chamber, it took me a while to get it out using a short piece of cleaning rod w/ brush chucked into the drill. The guy had put the gas piston rings on backwards, so I remedied that. It only came with a full choke, I'll have to pick up a few more.
Saw lots of Turkeys in the forest near the Grand Canyon last year, so I'll get to use it on them, then later for quail season.

This is a before pic, with traces of green paint still in the engraving and checkering.
I'll post an after pic when the stock has been refinished.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:34   #2
Vigilant Curmudgeon

I can praise your choice of guns, as they have mirrored mine according to your previous posts.
Congrats, and may you have lotts'a good trigger time with that 1100.
sandog likes this.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:04   #3
Matthew 5:9

1100s are GREAT guns !! but please take a word of advice from an ex gunsmith.

buy a couple of the rubber gas seal rings for that gun, put a fresh one in every hunting season (by habit, whether it needs it or not) and put a couple spares under the recoil pad / shoulder piece.....and always carry a multi-tool.

I had soooo many men bring me their 1100 after a field failure due to a stretched gas ring.
sandog likes this.

Old 02-29-2020, 14:08   #4

Yes, those O-rings are cheap parts, no reason not to have a few spares. I took it out this afternoon, it functioned perfectly, patterns just a tad high at 30 yards.
Now I'm going to strip the rest of the old finish off the stock, and put some Tru-Oil on it.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:12   #5

I got the stock refinished, and decided to make some changes to the 1100.
I had a vison of a good looking quail gun that could also be pressed into use for self defense.
I like a shorter barrel gun for upland hunting, I've had a Mossberg with 24 inch barrel, an 870 with straight stock and 24 inch barrel, and a straight gripped Citori with shorter barrel as well.

I looked at available 1100 accessory barrels and the shorter ones were either 21 inch rifle sight slug barrels, or 18.5" bead barrels with no vent rib.
I wanted a short (21 to 22) vent rib barrel with bead, so a few days ago I cut the 28" barrel to 22", and milled the rib back just short of the muzzle.
I D&T'd the rib for a 6-48 bead, and have ordered a Meprolight white ringed Tritium bead.
In a few days I'm sending the barrel off to be threaded for interchangeable chokes, and have the rough forcing cone polished.

When it comes back I'll put on a Choate +3 blued mag extension, so capacity will be 7+1. I don't hunt ducks, geese or doves, so I'm not limited to 3 shots total in the gun.
I replaced the plastic mag follower with an NDZ red aluminum one, and changed over the safety to left hand with a Fortmann safety.
The new mag extension will come right up near the muzzle of the 21 inch barrel.

Here's a pic of the 1100 with the stock re-done and the barrel shortened.
I still need to trim down the new white spacer on the buttplate, the old one was brittle and broke into several pieces when I took the stock off for refinishing:
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 03-17-2020, 14:21   #6

Fine looking 1100. It will make you a nice shotgun.
sandog likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 13:03   #7

you still have quail??

I haven't seen one since the coyotes were introduced by our genius state WMA 25 yrs ago.

nice shottie !
sandog likes this.
Old 03-20-2020, 13:38   #8
Vigilant Curmudgeon

After all that refurbishing and detail cleaning. I would hesitate to take that 1100 out of the Gun Case. A fine job, and just as you like it now.

I was thinking of getting another shorty barrel for my 30 " ... 3 inch magnum 1100. What and where would I do best in my shopping?
Old 03-20-2020, 17:05   #9

The only new shorter barrels for 1100s I found were the rifle sight ones and the one with a bead but no rib, and those were $209 to $279.
I wanted a short one but with vent rib and bead, so having one of the guys that specializes in taking a non interchangeable choke barrel and threading them for interchangeable chokes, made more sense.
I got the barrel length I wanted in a VR barrel, and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new barrel.
Finding a fixed choke vent rib barrel for cheap is easy these days, then you can send it off for chopping and threading.

On the west coast, there's Bob Day of Americhoke, he's in a suburb of LA.
He charges $45 to cut the barrel to whatever length you want, face the muzzle and mill back the rib, and D&T the rib for a new bead.
And $115 to thread the shortened barrel for chokes.
He can do RemChoke, etc., but I liked the Pattern Plus chokes he sells, they are Tru-Lock standard pattern. There are a whole lot more choices than say, Remington, where you only get Improved, Modified, Full and Extra Full.
https://americhoke.com/
Another guy that come highly recommended is Mike Orlen, he is in New England.
He is much less expensive but everyone on Shotgunworld forum raves about him.
His price to cut barrel and reset bead is $20, and $65 to thread a single barrel gun for chokes.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=36237

Both guys can lengthen and polish the forcing cone, supposed to help patterns by preventing the wad from becoming deformed early on.
And both seem to have a quick turn around time, 1 to 3 days.
Old 03-29-2020, 18:07   #10

The 1100 project is now finished. I got the barrel back from Bob Day, he threaded it for Tru-Chokes. I had ordered a Skeet#1 and a modified choke for now, I'll pick up a couple more later.
Bob was nice enough to include a choke tube case, wrench, and a handful of extra gas O-rings.

I added the Choate +3 extension, so now the 1100 is a 7+1 shot. As I said before, I don't like the taste of dove, ducks and geese, so the extension can stay on through the quail season. The Choate tube clamp has a sling swivel attachment, so I can throw a sling on if needed.

After the barrel was chopped, I needed a new bead, so it now wears a Meprolight Tritium bead.
The Skeet #1 choke is barely tighter than cylinder bore, so it will do fine with buckshot or slugs.
I took the shotgun out today and patterned it with both chokes using #8 target loads, then shot buckshot and a few slugs out of the Skeet choke.

My goal was to have a good looking (blued steel and Walnut, not matte blue with a synthetic stock) fast handling quail gun that could also be used for defense without having to switch anything around.
Here is how it turned out :
dh1633pm and Rockys Pop like this.
Old 03-30-2020, 00:04   #11

Awesome......I want it !
sandog likes this.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:55   #12

Sweet. I like all the changes you performed.

Made me want even more that Ithaca Model 37 with the 18 inch barrel that has been sitting on the rack at my local dealer for the last two years. Only $384.
sandog likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:18   #13

I've always liked the bottom eject of the Ithaca, being a lefty. But I've never owned, or even handled one. I plan on keeping an eye out for one.