mossberg shockwave...why not? - Shooting Sports Forum


Shotgun Misc All makes and models of shotguns discussed here.

Like Tree24Likes
  • 1 Post By hawkguy
  • 3 Post By dh1633pm
  • 5 Post By RJF
  • 1 Post By hawkguy
  • 2 Post By dh1633pm
  • 2 Post By hawkguy
  • 2 Post By RJF
  • 3 Post By RJF
  • 1 Post By RJF
  • 1 Post By stinky5546
  • 1 Post By Beck
  • 1 Post By RJF
  • 1 Post By tri70
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 13:49   #1
large member
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,999
mossberg shockwave...why not?

saw the Mossberg shockwave....the "barely legal" of it appeals to me.....the HD applications seem legit imo. not grossly overpriced. nasty "under the bed firearm" imo.

novelty? worth it? discuss.

Mossberg 590® Shockwave | O.F. Mossberg & Sons
Beck likes this.
hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 13:50   #2
large member
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,999
i'm thinking 20G...
hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 14:04   #3
Full Member
 
dh1633pm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central New York
Posts: 6,869
I was thinking about the Remington version. Not sure if 20G would be my choice. But if you ever shot a 500 or an 870 with a pistol grip, you know the drill.
hawkguy, RJF and Phish like this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 01-01-2018, 14:22   #4
RJF
Full Member
 
RJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Posts: 5,624
Not a fan. It may just be me, but dislocating my wrist with the first shot isn't appealing...

Maybe in my youth...
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 14:35   #5
large member
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,999
Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Not a fan. It may just be me, but dislocating my wrist with the first shot isn't appealing...

Maybe in my youth...
it really isn't THAT bad. I have shot both 20G and 12G shotguns w/one hand. wouldn't want to make a habit of it.....

I had a mare's leg once upon a time...seems similar....far more accurate and effective than some would imagine, if used properly.
RJF likes this.
hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 14:39   #6
Full Member
 
dh1633pm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central New York
Posts: 6,869
A friend back in the 80's lived in the Florida panhandle He kept a Mossberg 500 with a 18.5 barrel and pistol grip under the drivers seat. He picked up a hitch hiker one day. When he dropped him off, he grabbed my friends 500 from under the seat, pointed it at him and ...click. As he tried to cycle the action my friend was upon him. 6'6 300 pounds of crushing force. He grabbed his 500 back, cycled it and pointed at him. Called him an ass and went about his way. I said why are you living there and invited him to live in Lancaster PA. He met his wife there and lives there to this day, 30 years later.

He loved that short pistol grip shotgun. The difference between his and the new ones is the grip. It would seem because of the angle, it would not punish the hand so much. He would shoot his shotgun like a pistol with one hand. I tried it with two hands and it did hurt.
savage99nc and hawkguy like this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 15:29   #7
large member
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,999
I dunno, I like the idea......my question is...can you easily attach a light for HD?
hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 16:30   #8
large member
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,999
Hickok 45 likes it.....but i think he likes everything...\https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxECBq-f68s
RJF and Mr.T. like this.
hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:17   #9
RJF
Full Member
 
RJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Posts: 5,624
Hawk, I would normally agree with your assessment. For me personally, I have stage III prostate cancer, with that stage III being into the bones. While presently (and presumably) under control, a 12g without a shoulder stock is likely something beyond my physical capability or comfort level. Wouldn't like a fractured wrist...it would hamper barn chores...
hawkguy and SMOGGUY like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:27   #10
large member
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,999
Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Hawk, I would normally agree with your assessment. For me personally, I have stage III prostate cancer, with that stage III being into the bones. While presently (and presumably) under control, a 12g without a shoulder stock is likely something beyond my physical capability or comfort level. Wouldn't like a fractured wrist...it would hamper barn chores...
well, cancer sucks!

my ol man and an uncle both have gotten prostate cancer....I have to assume I am pretty high risk.

damn sorry about your health....but I am glad of your remission! maybe no pistol grip shotguns for you...but still plenty of shooting fun to be had.

I was thinking 20G would be about 20%+ reduction in recoil, and 20G is still plenty nasty for HD or exploding bottles! I think this little shotgun might be a bunch of fun (a novelty, yes...but still functional)....and might fill the void in my soul that my mare's leg left when I sold it.
hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 18:41   #11
RJF
Full Member
 
RJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Posts: 5,624
Hawk, it is what it is. Lost a brother to it, but he was the point man for us two other brothers. Oldest had it, got radiaized (was a surgical risk) and is doing fine. I'm fine with whatever God gives me; He has certainly blessed me over the years. My older brother was a goner when diagnosed and his 18-months to die was horrible to see.

PC is generally familial, so you should check yearly for that. What the docs generally don't track is the PSA from year to year. The big thing is the change in PSA - not the total count. Mine went from <2 to 3.8 in a year. The numbers said it was okay, since it was under 4.0. Experienced docs would have picked up on that. At the time of biopsy, mine was 4.8: very low. My biopsy showed 10 of 12 samples as aggressive cancer. surgery to remove the prostate happened a few months later, but by then it was too late and it eventually spread. To my spine.

Hormone treatment keeps the PSA at zero - something that is a good indicator of the PC activity. As long as it stays at zero, I'm good. I check it every three months. Aside from the Sword of Damacles always hanging over me waiting for the results, I'm doing okay. Hormone treatment has its challenges (think of the "Low-T commercials; I have "No-T"). Weight of weapons is a consideration now, and I have the occasional hot flash, but I'm still not interested in lots of shoes or pink guns. I do change my mind often, through...

Beats the heck out of being dead. Having watched my brother die from it - particularly the spread to the bones - am not looking forward to it but accept that someday, I will face the same fate. As long as the PSA stays at zero (over five years now), I am theoretically okay.

Every day is a miracle and blessing. It gives me pause to thank God for His many blessings and a realization that this mortal life is but a passage to a much greater eternal life. My ultimate death is really a commencement. And I'll be with my Fi...I am sure she is waiting patiently for me.

Not rushing into it by any means. God will determine when.

Until then, I thank my many blessings each day and try to enjoy this life. Seems to be working!

The age at which PC occurs is important: generally the younger at onset, the more aggressive. If your Dad got it in his '80s, your are probably okay, but need to check your PSA each year and monitor the change each year. That was my bad: my PSA increased a lot over a year but was "within normal readings: until it wasn't. By then, it was too late. I was atypical in that I didn't have frequent pit-stops during the night (probably a function of my chronic dehydration)

It has been almost seven years since I was diagnosed, and a little over five years since I started hormone treatments as a result of the spread to my spine. That is plenty of time to ponder this life and purpose, and to explore the many blessings God has given to me during this mortal life. That is all good! The hormone treatment's only serious side effects are "No-T", hot flashes, and a loss of muscle mass: hence the importance of weight for firearms. I'm good to go and have adjusted!

Yup, cancer sucks - some more than others. Not at the chemo stage yet. Then, it'll really suck, I think...

My one shotgun is a Mossy 930 convertible with an 18" barrel in 12g. Semi-auto eases the recoil and it is pretty handy and light. The only thing I don't like about it is needing a round in the chamber and cocked to work right. Not a big fan of relying on just a safety - even though that is the right mode for HD. I don't shoot it a bunch, but when I do, it is wonderful and something I can easily handle. It REALLY makes the coffee creamer bottle sail.

So I'm good with my Minis, my M1 Carbine, my CX4, and various .22s. Don't shoot my Colt 1911 as much, but the .380 and 92FS and P38 get a lot of use.

I'm having fun and it is a good life. No regrets and am thankful.

I'll enjoy life as God presents it to me. All is good, and great. I'll just be sensitive about overall weight of firearms. The Minis are fine and great for that.!
hawkguy, SMOGGUY and Timberdog like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 18:59   #12
large member
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,999
you're a strong man, and you certainly have it in perspective....it has, and always will be, in god's hands.

yup...i'm doctor shy, especially about my exit only regions....in the end...I have some growing up to do. i'll get a good check out this spring or summer I imagine. need to work on my teeth too!

as for the shockwave...I have been kinda out of it with guns lately...not much has piqued my interest recently...the shockwave has my interest piqued....but I really don't know if I would love it in the end or not. it does seem kinda trendy/novelty. I will probably wait awhile and see if the interest cools down.

Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Hawk, it is what it is. Lost a brother to it, but he was the point man for us two other brothers. Oldest had it, got radiaized (was a surgical risk) and is doing fine. I'm fine with whatever God gives me; He has certainly blessed me over the years. My older brother was a goner when diagnosed and his 18-months to die was horrible to see.

PC is generally familial, so you should check yearly for that. What the docs generally don't track is the PSA from year to year. The big thing is the change in PSA - not the total count. Mine went from <2 to 3.8 in a year. The numbers said it was okay, since it was under 4.0. Experienced docs would have picked up on that. At the time of biopsy, mine was 4.8: very low. My biopsy showed 10 of 12 samples as aggressive cancer. surgery to remove the prostate happened a few months later, but by then it was too late and it eventually spread. To my spine.

Hormone treatment keeps the PSA at zero - something that is a good indicator of the PC activity. As long as it stays at zero, I'm good. I check it every three months. Aside from the Sword of Damacles always hanging over me waiting for the results, I'm doing okay. Hormone treatment has its challenges (think of the "Low-T commercials; I have "No-T"). Weight of weapons is a consideration now, and I have the occasional hot flash, but I'm still not interested in lots of shoes or pink guns. I do change my mind often, through...

Beats the heck out of being dead. Having watched my brother die from it - particularly the spread to the bones - am not looking forward to it but accept that someday, I will face the same fate. As long as the PSA stays at zero (over five years now), I am theoretically okay.

Every day is a miracle and blessing. It gives me pause to thank God for His many blessings and a realization that this mortal life is but a passage to a much greater eternal life. My ultimate death is really a commencement. And I'll be with my Fi...I am sure she is waiting patiently for me.

Not rushing into it by any means. God will determine when.

Until then, I thank my many blessings each day and try to enjoy this life. Seems to be working!

The age at which PC occurs is important: generally the younger at onset, the more aggressive. If your Dad got it in his '80s, your are probably okay, but need to check your PSA each year and monitor the change each year. That was my bad: my PSA increased a lot over a year but was "within normal readings: until it wasn't. By then, it was too late. I was atypical in that I didn't have frequent pit-stops during the night (probably a function of my chronic dehydration)

It has been almost seven years since I was diagnosed, and a little over five years since I started hormone treatments as a result of the spread to my spine. That is plenty of time to ponder this life and purpose, and to explore the many blessings God has given to me during this mortal life. That is all good! The hormone treatment's only serious side effects are "No-T", hot flashes, and a loss of muscle mass: hence the importance of weight for firearms. I'm good to go and have adjusted!

Yup, cancer sucks - some more than others. Not at the chemo stage yet. Then, it'll really suck, I think...

My one shotgun is a Mossy 930 convertible with an 18" barrel in 12g. Semi-auto eases the recoil and it is pretty handy and light. The only thing I don't like about it is needing a round in the chamber and cocked to work right. Not a big fan of relying on just a safety - even though that is the right mode for HD. I don't shoot it a bunch, but when I do, it is wonderful and something I can easily handle. It REALLY makes the coffee creamer bottle sail.

So I'm good with my Minis, my M1 Carbine, my CX4, and various .22s. Don't shoot my Colt 1911 as much, but the .380 and 92FS and P38 get a lot of use.

I'm having fun and it is a good life. No regrets and am thankful.

I'll enjoy life as God presents it to me. All is good, and great. I'll just be sensitive about overall weight of firearms. The Minis are fine and great for that.!
hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 16:49   #13
RJF
Full Member
 
RJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Posts: 5,624
Hawk, this mortal life of ours is just that. Those who are dealt an easy hand never experience the wisdom of God's purpose - and His blessings and love.

Can't say I'm a strong man, but I certainly have developed a perspective I wouldn't have were it not for that nasty PC. And, of course, my Fi: she carried me through every bit of bad news in the eight years she was with us and she continues to comfort me in the almost five years after her commencement of eternal life. All thanks to God.

I'll do what is necessary and adapt, but will welcome the day when I can be with my Fi again. I know she's there, waiting to great me as she did every day in her mortal life. I'll exit this mortal life with a smile.

See your doc, and compare PSA readings annually. A low reading isn't necessarily benign; the amount of change each year is the critical part. The ONLY good thing about having my prostate removed is not having that dreaded "exam". Then again, my doc felt something abnormal, and that started me on my journey.

If a man lives long enough, he'll likely develop PC - it's what we do! If your family history is PC in the 80s or 90s, you are likely good to go. If it is in the 50s/60s, then you most certainly need to keep track of things. There is a thing called PSA Doubling Time (PSADT). The shorter amount of time it doubles, the more aggressive it is.

My Dad lived into his mid-80s with no indication of PC: brain cancer got him. My Mom's Dad died of TB when she was ten, but there are indications he might have also had PC. I suspect that is the familial line but - in the end - it doesn't matter. Age at onset is the critical factor: the younger, the more aggressive. Usually.

Get checked and keep track. Catching early is always preferable.

I'm dealing with it and the hormone treatment.

you're a strong man
Mentally and emotionally, perhaps...Physically...not so much. That's why a shockwave isn't in my purchase plans! I'm not a blob, and keep somewhat active. That's a help.
hawkguy likes this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 16:42   #14
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
heck ya those are nice to use as a truck gun
hawkguy likes this.
stinky5546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 15:32   #15
Glass Half-Full Member
 
Beck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Suddenly
Posts: 1,375
The Shockwave is pretty cool. I've been looking at it for a while. (Waiting to see if ATF changes their mind) Looks like it's going to be a keeper. It's on my list of guns to buy. Looking pretty good for what it is... a compact, light, easily accessible and maneuverable, close range defensive weapon. 6 shots (5+1) of 12 GA rounds in such a compact package is pretty incredible. My Rem 870 is max 7 (6+1) with the Choate extended magazine and it's a beast length and weight wise compared to the Shockwave.

The number of accessories for the Shockwave is growing, including flashlight mounts.

https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-shock...ght-mount.html

I've been liking the Federal Premium Tactical LE13200 reduced power loads in my 12 GA Remington 870 18.5" barrel. 9 00 Buck pellets @ 1145 FPS. Federal does not specify their shotgun test barrel lengths, which is dumb for any ammo manufacturer to omit when listing velocity. Since the shells are marketed for police I suppose we can assume that the 1145 FPS is from an 18 or 20-inch barrel, until I call Federal on Monday and ask.

I don't flinch with full power loads. I've been shooting 12 GA since age 11, but these reduced power loads are all about controllability and shot spread in the close range self defense situations that police and civilians are most likely to find themselves.

The LE13200 is made for law enforcement, but aren't restricted that I know of. My boxes say, "This ammunition is designed and manufactured exclusively for sale to law enforcement agencies." And though I spent a few years in law enforcement, they didn't even ask when I bought it.

Reduced power loads would be a great match for the Shockwave. I like this weapon. The grip is designed to be easier on the hand than conventional pistol grips, and the strap on the fore-end is there so your other hand absorbs some of the recoil, and to keep the thing from flying out of your hands. Pretty nifty design. Well thought out.
hawkguy likes this.
__________________
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:36   #16
RJF
Full Member
 
RJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Posts: 5,624
Not sure my wrists would hold up, which is kinda a big thing. Have a Mossy 930 short-barrel for HD, and that is good enough. The Shockwave is tough on weak wrists, and pretty much requires two good arms to charge. My 930, being a semi-auto, is GTG with one arm functional. Loaded with one in the chamber, safety off, easy switch to a nasty HD scenario...which I pray never happens.
grumpy_old_man likes this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:09   #17
Full Member
 
tri70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,484
I would love to have one, the shockwave is 5+1 and the Remmy is 4+1 if it matters.
grumpy_old_man likes this.
__________________
" If our greatest need had been pleasure, God would send an entertainer..... our greatest need was forgiveness, so God sent a Savior."
tri70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:21   #18
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,300
Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Not sure my wrists would hold up, which is kinda a big thing. Have a Mossy 930 short-barrel for HD, and that is good enough. The Shockwave is tough on weak wrists, and pretty much requires two good arms to charge. My 930, being a semi-auto, is GTG with one arm functional. Loaded with one in the chamber, safety off, easy switch to a nasty HD scenario...which I pray never happens.
How 'bout something like this? https://www.ammoland.com/2018/10/bla...#axzz5fJZu7pj4

Thank the Good Lord, my wrists are still fine (knees, back, eyesight, hearing, not so much but wrists and arms are A-OK) so its not an issue here. Money however is, so that's why I'll have to pass on one of the things, at least for now.

Grumpy
grumpy_old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:02   #19
RJF
Full Member
 
RJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Posts: 5,624
Grumpy, my wrists deteriorate every day, as do my wife's. Not an option.

Sucks getting old, but beats the alternative... For me, it is hormone treatment and metastatic bone cancer (prostate), for my wife, severe arthritis.

For others, it may be great; just not for us...
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 19:11   #20
Suck it Leftists!
 
GAMEOVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Commie Bait & Tackle Shop, Dixie
Posts: 7,214
I had the opportunity to shoot the 20 ga version this week and it’s a no go for me. Recoil not bad but I just don’t see the purpose for any of my needs. I did enjoy shooting it from the hip.
__________________
“May God have mercy for my enemies because I won't.”
― George S. Patton Jr.
GAMEOVER is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parts and Accessories for Your Mossberg Viper 1-26 INF Cactus Tactical 0 06-23-2017 09:58
SHOT 2017: Mossberg 590 Shockwave AllOutdoor.com All Outdoor 0 02-08-2017 16:30
GG&G for Your Tactical Mossberg 590 Shotgun Viper 1-26 INF Cactus Tactical 0 10-11-2016 10:02
GG&G, Made in the USA for your Mossberg Shotgun Viper 1-26 INF Cactus Tactical 0 08-16-2016 11:42
Enhance your Mossberg 930's Reliability Viper 1-26 INF Cactus Tactical 0 07-05-2016 10:10


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:48.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All information is copyright by Perfectunion.com unless already under copyright.