• 1 Post By moonie42
  • 1 Post By sticks
  • 1 Post By RJF
  • 1 Post By curt mini14
  • 1 Post By curt mini14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 15:56   #1

Sig P238 or Walther PPK or PPK/S

I posted this over at another site that I frequent but am interested in hearing opinions from you guys as well.

I'm considering purchasing one of the three pistols above. Some concealed carry but not all the time. I see MSRP is within 50 to 125 dollars of each other depending on exact model. So, up front the Walther is less expensive but, I don't like making decisions based solely on price. What is most important to me is safety and reliability. I read some reviews on each and mostly heard good things about each. I'm leaning a little toward the Sig but only because I have a P225 that I like alot.

Can you guys give your opinions of these three? Actually, I think the PPK and PPK/S only differ slightly in exterior dimension because of the extra round that the PPK/S model will hold. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, if you have one of these and carry it, I'd be interested to hear the condition you carry it in.

Thanks for your time and I appreciate your responses.
rugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 22:26   #2
Nobody of importance

I have the Walther PP in .380. The PP is slightly longer in the bbl than the PPK. (I also have one in .32 my daughter adores.) I carry a round in the chamber with safety on. Flip off the safety, squeeze the trigger and it's off to the races. Since the first squeeze is a double action, the safety may seem superfluous but I think it a reasonable precaution. They do make extended magazines for it. I have one that is ten rounds.

I figure if you don't have the presence of mind to flip off the safety as you draw, you don't have enough presence of mind to carry.
TMcArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 14:43   #3

Thank you for your response.
rugmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2011, 10:32   #4

I'd also recommend that you take a look at the Bersa Thunder .380. Take a look at my post in http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/644815-post10.html
RJF likes this.
moonie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:36   #5

Originally Posted by rugmar View Post
I think the PPK and PPK/S only differ slightly in exterior dimension because of the extra round that the PPK/S model will hold. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
The PPK/S is basically the same as the PP, but with a PPK slide. By combining the frame of the PP with the barrel and the slide of the PPK, Walther developed the PPK/S.
clydesdalekevin likes this.
sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 21:27   #6
Grumpy MAGA man.

The Walther PPK/S is my favorite small pistol...and blows the Bersa Thunder out of the water with both accuracy and reliability if you polish the feed ramp. I have owned both, and the PPK/S is my every day carry gun in weather that is too hot to carry concealed my 1911. I have an Interarms PPK/S, and that is the one I carry all the time. If you have big meaty hands like me, it will probably give you slide bite. I modified mine with one of these hammer spur extensions that you can get on eBay from this guy periodically. They fit perfectly and look good...and after over 500 rounds, mine has stayed in place like it is welded on. https://www.ebay.com/itm/WALTHER-PPK...72.m2749.l2649

While I prefer the fit and finish of the Interarms PPK/S, the Smith and Wesson version already has the polished feed ramp and an extended beavertail to prevent slide bite. Just make sure your S&W version has the little dimple stamped on the frame behind the trigger to assure that it was fixed during the recall for safety issues.

IMO, the Interarms version is so much better than the S&W that it is worth the extra time to polish the feed ramp and get the beaver tail extension, and I have owned both. But that is up to you. Both are good and very reliable pistols right out of the box. With the polishing, the Interarms will fire ANY ammo I put in it, with any brand magazine...and I trust it with my life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
clydesdalekevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:08   #7
RJF

Have a Bersa Thunder Combat model in .380. It is my EDC/EWC. While it takes the Thunder CC model 8-round mags, it also works well with their DLX 9-round mags.

Well north of 500 rounds through it, nary a hint of a failure. It is more accurate than I am...I have fairly small hands, and it fits them perfectly. Easy, simple takedown/reassembly.
clydesdalekevin likes this.
RJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:20   #8

the sig shoots smoother then the pps its smaller and theres nothing that the others do better.the sig rules the 380 world at the moment.
Bepe likes this.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 15:44   #9

very nice bepe i like that.
Bepe likes this.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 13:58   #10
Matthew 5:9

so many compact/micro carry pieces have gone back to the tried and true 1911 platform.....may be time to start looking at something smaller
Old 02-20-2020, 11:27   #11

I like my Sig

I carry a Sig P238 Legion - When carried in Condition 1 it is extra reassuring to note that the hammer is partially cradled inside the beavertail. All metal, it is the perfect weight - not too heavy to carry all day - not too light to give you a sore hand at the range. The Sig x-ray night sights are perfect. This is the most accurate micro I have ever fired.

Plus, at least in the Legion model, it is a beautiful piece of machinery. Plus plus it comes with three expensive mags.

My $ .02 worth.
TheCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:07   #12

I carry a Russian Makarov in 9x18, not a PPK but looks like one.