• 2 Post By sandog
  • 3 Post By Bepe
  • 2 Post By sandog
  • 2 Post By Bepe
  • 1 Post By r80rt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2020, 11:01   #1

Finally. A Glock That I Can Like

I carried a Glock 10mm for about 10 years, and for a while had a G19.
I liked them O.K., but something about the grip just didn't feel right.
Like holding a 2x2.

Last week I had the opportunity to get a G48. I didn't know anything about the G48, as I haven't kept up with Glocks in a while.
Read a bunch of positive reviews about them, what sounded good to me was the thinner grip.

The G48 has a slide that is .87 inches wide, the overall width is about 1/4" narrower than a G19. The 48 only weighs 1lb 3 oz. but has a full length grip and a 4.19 inch barrel.
So the G48 is basically a thin G19.

Whereas the slim single stack G43 has a 6 rd flush mag, the G48 has a factory 10 rd flush mag, and the G19 has a 15 round flush mag.
Here you see the single stack G43, and in the middle the "stack and a half" G48, and on the right the fat G19 doublestack.

Glock also has the "stack and a half" 43x, which has the same full length grip and uses the same mags as the 48, but has a shorter barrel and slide.

But last year Shield Arms of Bigfork, Montana introduced a flush fit 15 round magazine for the G43x and G48. They did this by making an all steel mag, which is less bulky and can have more capacity than the Glock factory mags, which have a thick polymer mag body with a metal liner inside.
The SA 15 mags aren't cheap at $39, but having a few of them allows you to have G19 capacity with a gun that is considerably thinner and lighter than a G19.
Here is one of there 15 round mags that they sell with a +4 extension, so you have a G48 that is 19+1.
(There is a 15 round SA15 mag in the gun)

The G48 has most of the gen5 features including the relief cut by the breech, and the Marksman barrel.
The G48 and G43x originally came out with a sliver colored slide, many didn't like it as they were set on Glocks only being black. I like it, it gives it some uniqueness. But I'm toying with the idea of Cerakoting it FDE.
Glock has since came out with both models in a black slide version.
The new slides are also beveled at the front which is nice.

Mine came with excellent Ameriglo night sights, of which the front one has a red ring, which is very easy to see in the daylight.
The trigger is very nice, I doubt I'll need to improve on it.
This is one 9mm that won't pull your belt down, and unless you have really big hands, has a better feel to it.

There is no rail (although railed models of the G43x/G48 are headed this way, first brought out in the European models). There is a TRL-6 that will fit on this.
I have 3 of the 10 round Glock poly mags, 3 of the SA15 metal mags, and one of the SA15s that has the +4 extension.
Just ordered a new holster and mag pouch for it too.

Here is the G48 compared with a couple of my friend's Glocks, from left, G19, G48 and G43.
r80rt, curt mini14 and Bepe like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:10   #2

Having carried the DA/SA Sig Sauer's at work since going to the semi...I was never a Glock guy. Drank the anti Glock koolaid without ever trying one.

With the state of the Country spiraling down the crapper the last few years I figured I better get a decent combat pistol. I never really liked the two different trigger pulls of the Sig and figured I'd try a Glock.

Getting the Ruger PCC-9 that has the Glock mag adapter was the deciding factor. I picked up a G19x on a whim. Best semi auto I have ever owned. The short barrel with the full size G17 grip makes for a fantastic balancing pistol. 17 and 19 round mags that interchange with the Ruger. Can't beat the capicity of the Glocks and the fact you can interchange larger cap mags of the same flavor.

That marksman barrel is a fantastic upgrade as is the Gen 5 trigger. Gun is accurate as can be. I got mine with the Glock factory night sights, as that is what I have used for years and am used to. I liked it so much I went out and purchased a G30s. IMO the Gen 4 is not as good as the Gen 5 with the upgrades. Still a decent pistol.

All in all. I guess I could now qualify as an official Glock Fanboy.

Congrats on the new purchase Sandog......I think you will be liking it.

Edit to add: if you accumulate a pile of mags Tuff Products sells the multiple mag holders. Dillon carries them also.

Bepe
Attached Thumbnails
Finally. A Glock That I Can Like-dscn4247.jpg   Finally. A Glock That I Can Like-dscn4577.jpg  
r80rt, curt mini14 and sandog like this.

Last edited by Bepe; 07-27-2020 at 14:08.
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 13:31   #3
Woods bum

I had a Glock 48 for a while, I really liked it, but with things being the way they are in this country I traded it in on a CZ P-10 F. 20 rounds ready to go ain't a bad thing.
Bepe likes this.
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2020, 15:48   #4

This mag in the 48 is 20 rounds, you coulda kept your G48:

One thing I didn't like about the older Glocks, as a lefty the brass hits me in the forehead.
This new G48 launches brass about 10 feet away at 4 o'clock.
r80rt, curt mini14 and Bepe like this.
Old 07-27-2020, 17:24   #5
Woods bum

The 48 is a great pistol, you'll love it. Yeah I could have kept it, but so many toys, so little money..........
sandog and Bepe like this.
Old 07-30-2020, 15:33   #6

I too recently got a G48 and really like it. As sandog said, the G19 feels like a piece of 2 x 4 in my hand and squirms around under recoil despite my normal size hands and having carried one for my final 5 years on the PD. In rapid fire, the G48 just settles deeper into my hand and stays there.

The reduced width makes no difference to me when carrying OWB, and less than I thought when IWB. But every bit helps.

A few things I don't like:
The firing pin is different and gets stuck in the empty primer hole when dry firing with homemade dummies. I actually had to disassemble the gun to remove one. The solution is to fill the hole with something or buy snap caps that are made that way.
When ejecting a live round, the slide must be rack with enough vigor that the cartridge gets tossed some distance, no dumping it gently onto the table.
There is no Advantage Arms .22 conversion
There is no Dry Fire Magazine available.

I can live with these issues. My old duty G19's will continue to serve- one will be kept with the AA .22 conversion, and the other will stay home with my Dry Fire mag installed.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 17:13   #7

Good way to describe the 48, Jim. It just settles back into your hand and doesn't have that feeling that it wants to twist around like the 19 does.
Those other Glocks in my pics above are Curt's. We shot some rounds out of all of them a couple days ago.

The 19 felt like, well, what I described above. The 43 was small in the hand, like my 9mm and .40 Shield was. Look at the bottom pic of the G43 compared to the G48.
The 48 isn't that much bigger, but has a full size grip to grab on to, and a 4.2" barrel.
It's like you are shooting a full size gun as far as ease of shooting and accuracy, but carries like a dream, a very thin, very light dream. And holds a LOT more ammo than a G43, and as much ammo as the G19 when using the SA mags.
r80rt and Bepe like this.
Old 07-30-2020, 18:21   #8
Woods bum

The G48 is the only Glock I ever found interesting.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:06   #9

New Glock model coming out for those that like a few more rounds:
Attached Thumbnails
Finally. A Glock That I Can Like-gxxxx.jpg  
Old 08-05-2020, 04:22   #10

Too funny.

Heading to the LGS this morning with a guy from work. Long time G19 owner tried my 19x. Now wants one. I'll survey and see how stock is at the shop.

Bepe
Old 08-05-2020, 13:01   #11

Stopped at my usual haunt. The owner normally has an inside line on just about anything you want. Pretty much wiped out. My buddy from work was wanting the G19x. Zip....could order one but no telling how long a wait.

Headed to plan B about 30 minute ride away. That gent is retired LE and has the Glock LE dealership. Since the Glock is LE only he had a number in stock. My buddy got his 19x. I got a hands on the G48. What a nice pistol. Slim and elegant. Was talking to the sales clerk......he fills me in on the 43x. None in stock but he was packing one. Clears it and lets me see it. Basically the same frame as the G48 but the short slide of the G43.

Dang one more gun I "need".

Buddy closes the purchase of his 19x and asks about mags. The owner leads us to the "high cap" section. He had the 33 round 9mm Glock fun sticks in stock from KCI / USA. These must have just rolled out of the new factory. I grabbed two @ $29.99 each. They will be perfect for the PCC-9. My buddy got some spare mags for the 19x.

We headed out. A great day in President Trumps land of America.

Bepe
2rangers, r80rt and sandog like this.

Last edited by Bepe; 08-05-2020 at 13:50.
Old 08-05-2020, 14:51   #12

I never thought I, nor one of my friends would be calling a Glock elegant, but that's the way I feel about the G48 as well.
Glad your friend found a 19x to buy.

I was all on board for the G48 because I was starting from a clean slate, I owned no other Glocks.
But I don't know if the 48 or 43x would be good for you, as you already have a couple of the doublestack Glocks, if you got a 48 or 43x you'd have different magazines to keep separate, and mags that are non compatible with your other Glocks.

On another bright note, yesterday I ordered a 1,000 round case of Golden Tiger x39 BTHP, it shipped today. Man those guys at SG Ammo are fast !
Old 08-05-2020, 16:11   #13

Nice score on the x39mm. Buzzards at S&G won't ship here. Target Sports is the only ammo dealer who will ship and they are wiped out. Sitting on a good pile between brass and steel but we always want more. The squirrel effect kicks in never hurts to keep buying.

Good point on the mags. I was thinking about it for the carry factor if traveling in unknown territory. The dealer had a 15 round mag in stock for it. Darn tough to beat that capacity in a pistol that slim.

Bepe
r80rt and sandog like this.
Old 08-05-2020, 17:29   #14
Woods bum

Man, for carry these days I go with a full grown horse pistol, legal open carry is a good thing. my subbies are getting a rest.
Bepe likes this.