Perfect Union banner

Mini 14 scope selection

5K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  COBaker 
#1 ·
Looking for advice on scope selection for a new 580 series ranch with the factory wood stock. Id like a traditional crosshair vs red dot or fancy reticles. Im planning to use the factory Ruger picatinny rail and mount the scope as close to bore axis as possible. Not opposed to a straight objective as long as its not sacrificing too much light in dusk or dawn conditions.

What’s the general consensus for magnification for varmint size objects within the minis performance range and more importantly eye relief? Do minis require untypical eye relief with the factory wood stock? I don’t have the gun yet so im not sure about the eye relief needs. Looking in the $200-$300 range.

#2 ·
What's the general consensus for magnification for varmint size objects within the minis performance range and more importantly eye relief? Do minis require untypical eye relief with the factory wood stock? I don't have the gun yet so im not sure about the eye relief needs. Looking in the $200-$300 range.
General consensus around hear with either be iron sights or a red dot for a Mini. They truly shine when it doesn't have the extra weight of a scope. But if you are really in need of scoping one, then the best for magnification, weight distribution, quality, and price would be a Leupold VX Pig-Plex: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/le...ex-15-4-x-20-riflescope#repChildCatid=5121132 I've got a couple of old 20mm scopes from Leu that are 25years old that still work. You really cant beat it. And as far as eye relief goes, just get a regular scope. Mini 14's are just like any other hunting rifle like bolt actions and such. Ruger scope rings work the best for traditional type rifle scopes, and they should come with the gun.

#3 ·
Thank you for the recommendation. Im a Leupold guy. At least that's what I've put on all my bolt guns. I have an Aimpoint red dot on a Colt AR and it's fine, just not what I prefer using past 75-100 yards on game animals or really varmint hunting either. Just personal preference, not any serious conviction about it.

I just picked the gun up from my ffl this afternoon. It did indeed come with the scope rings and optional picatinny rail. Do you by chance know if Ruger or any other reputable mfg sells lower profile rings than what comes in the box? They seem kind of tall and i like my scopes as low as possible.

#5 ·
Looking for advice on scope selection for a new 580 series ranch with the factory wood stock. Id like a traditional crosshair vs red dot or fancy reticles. Im planning to use the factory Ruger picatinny rail and mount the scope as close to bore axis as possible. Not opposed to a straight objective as long as its not sacrificing too much light in dusk or dawn conditions.

What's the general consensus for magnification for varmint size objects within the minis performance range and more importantly eye relief? Do minis require untypical eye relief with the factory wood stock? I don't have the gun yet so im not sure about the eye relief needs. Looking in the $200-$300 range.
Here you go!

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...-gen-3-illuminated-acss-5.56-5.45-308-reticle

#6 ·
I normally keep a 3-9x40 on my 580 Mini but tonight I put a 1-6 30mm scope on it. I won't get to check it out for at least a week. The 3-9 was letting me get consistent under 2" and occasionally I would get a 1" group. I have used both Ruger rings and a rail on the ring mounts and I find I shoot better at distance with the scope.

Since the 1-6 went on the picatinny rail I bought some 30mm LOW rings from Midway. The low rings do clear the rear sight. Ruger medium rings do clear the rear sight as long as your eye piece isn't too large. It also depends on your eye relief. With a 2-7 scope I had I had to remove the rear sight to get the scope to fit.

kwg

kwg

#11 ·
After going back and looking at the picture you posted in post #4, I'm leaning toward medium rings and a 40mm objective scope. I've read in multiple places about ejected cases potentially contacting the optic and besides the bolt removal issues, it seems like a gamble going with low rings mounted directly on the receiver. Too many unknowns without spending alot of extra money on multiple ring and scope combos for the sake of experimenting. If ejected cases hit the scope and caused extraction issues, obviously that's a no go.

Plus it appears the area the bolt needs to be lifted to for removal would be right where the turret adjustment knob is on the scope. With low rings mounted directly to the receiver, that could present a problem. This is something the rail alone can't sumilate. Of course without actually trying it, I can't say for sure.

#12 ·
After going back and looking at the picture you posted in post #4, I'm leaning toward medium rings and a 40mm objective scope. I've read in multiple places about ejected cases potentially contacting the optic and besides the bolt removal issues, it seems like a gamble going with low rings mounted directly on the receiver. Too many unknowns without spending alot of extra money on multiple ring and scope combos for the sake of experimenting. If ejected cases hit the scope and caused extraction issues, obviously that's a no go.

Plus it appears the area the bolt needs to be lifted to for removal would be right where the turret adjustment knob is on the scope. With low rings mounted directly to the receiver, that could present a problem. This is something the rail alone can't sumilate. Of course without actually trying it, I can't say for sure.
Well hey buddy if you are leaning towards a 40mm objective then you really need to stick with the #5 scope rings. You cant get scope caps on with #4 scope rings and a 40mm objective. On mine you could squeeze them on but it was riding the hand guard. As you can see in my video the 40mm objective sits pretty low with the #5 scope rings:

#15 ·
OK thanks. I ended up ordering the #4 rings and a Leupold vx-freedom 3-9x40mm scope. I googled the nikon p223 just to see an image and yeah, those caps do look a little bulky, however the new leupold kind of does but I'll see when I get it it in. My other leo scopes are older models and are pretty low profile at the turret caps. If the threads are the same I might swap caps with one that's currently on one of my bolt guns. Regardless, thanks for your input in this thread, it was very helpful for me.

#17 ·
That’s really acceptable poi change, I would say, for most if not all applications. The dovetail pinch fit (or whatever you call it) of the ruger rings to receiver really lends itself to repeatability by design.

OCD is a mother, and unfortunately i have it. If I'm off 1/4” or 1/2” moa from removing the scope, its enough to make me zero the scope again. Even if it were 0” in change of poi, the unknown would bug me and mess with my shooting confidence, so I’d still be inclined to feel the unnecessary need to re-zero.

All that to say I installed the #4 medium rings with a Leupold vx-freedom 3-9x40 scope (not sure about the new name but whatever). No rail, rings mounted directly to the receiver. Objective sits maybe 1/8” above the new hogue handguard. I mounted the scope loose enough to be able to slide back and forth, removed the horizontal windage cap and did trial and error on scope position until i was able to remove and reinstall the bolt. The final position of the scopes turret adjustment block section is near center between the rings, probably about 1/8” to 3/16” closer towards the buttstock end ring. Eye relief is good, scope is plenty far away to not hit my brow.

#18 ·
So the newer Leupold VX freedom scopes have tall turret caps. With the #4 ruger rings, Ive got brass marks on the cap. As a matter of fact, ive got brass marks in several odd places. I wish i had a slow motion video to be able to see how the ejected cases are doing that.

In addition to the horizontal windage cap, ive got brass scars on the bottom of the rear ring base and on the outer face of the op rod handle, approximately 1 inch toward the muzzle end from the finger tab. Weird. Ive got a .045 bushing and a buffer in the rear. Cases go anywhere from 3-5 feet on average. Sometimes 8-10. I may put the #5 rings on that came with the gun to see if that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.