Mini-14 to M14 lookalike conversion: parts and suppliers - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 22:34   #1

Mini-14 to M14 lookalike conversion: parts and suppliers

This is a common question, but there's been no centralized place to compile all the options. Post any recommended parts or old threads, good example photos, etc and I'll update the OP with the data.

How to make a Mini-14 look more like an M14: what you need and where to get it

Underbarrel rods
To resemble the M14 gas system, and potentially improve accuracy
Upper handguards
Also does away with the lawyer-advised bulging op-rod cover of the current stock models
  • Choate Ventilated Handguard: can be painted to resemble wood, or retro-era M14 synthetics (paint colors???)
  • Federal Ordnance (discontinued)

Front sight and/or flash hider or muzzle brake
several products are unitary front sight/muzzle device items
  • The >580-series Mini-14s already have a "curved ears" front sight similar to the M14, no front sight change required
  • Choate: combo front sight/flash hider for <580 series, skinny barrel rifles
  • AMK Tactical: slip-on FH and fiber-optic front sight for 580-series
  • LRB????: standalone flash suppressor?
  • What brand of dummy FS for NY/DC/CA etc. rules???

Rear sight
Stocks
Wood, and synthetic stocks that can resembled M14 sythn stocks
Buttplate
  • ???

Magazines
  • Mags which most resemble M14???
  • Pinned 20rd mags for AWB states (down to 10 or 7 rounds)???

Finish (and colors)
Which colours best imitate M14s for receiver/strut, and for handguard?
  • Duracoat,
  • Cerrakote:
  • ???

Earlier threads about conversions
tri70, pdog, burgie and 6 others like this.

Last edited by TapTheForwardAssist; 03-31-2014 at 10:58.
TapTheForwardAssist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:59   #2

I think AMK Tactical makes the best looking M14 style front sight/flashhider combo.
gunslinger71973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 21:02   #3
Walking Dead

One of the reasons I like the SOCOM from Accu Strut, it more closely resembles the M14. Here's a nice comparison photo from user jismail on M14 Forum, with his M14, Mini-14 and M1 Carbine.

Amazing how small the carbine, really is (35"???). All of them, awesome battle rifles.
Attached Thumbnails
Mini-14 to M14 lookalike conversion: parts and suppliers-m1s.jpg  
CrustyShellback is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2014, 08:31   #4

Originally Posted by gunslinger71973 View Post
I think AMK Tactical makes the best looking M14 style front sight/flashhider combo.
I think I must agree, I never knew it existed until today. Glad TapTheForwardAssist posted this thread, good info in one easy to find place.
Davcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:05   #5
ssm

Yep!
Ruger Mini 14 Steel 580 Series Slip on Brake with a Fiber Optic Sight - Detailed item view - AMK Tactical
ssm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 18:09   #6
AEP

Originally Posted by TapTheForwardAssist View Post
What brand of dummy FS for NY/DC/CA etc. rules
I'd be interested in this too, thanks in advance.

While only flash suppressors are named in DC code, I am not sure a working muzzle break would always be legal.

They went though this in cali a few years back and the ruling is:
"Muzzle brakes and compensators are flash suppressors if they also suppress flash. The Department believes the absence of specific measurement standards in the statute demonstrates the legislative intent to identify as a flash suppressor, any device that reduces the amount of flash regardless of its intended or additional functionality"

So essentially unless you know a particular muzzle-break does not reduce flash viable to shooter; in DC, you could be in possession of an illegal assault rifle.

Last edited by AEP; 03-30-2014 at 18:32.
AEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 18:55   #7

Originally Posted by AEP View Post
So essentially unless you know a particular muzzle-break does not reduce flash viable to shooter; in DC, you could be in possession of an illegal assault rifle.
I have the vauge impression that some folks have used dummy FAL or M14 FSs, but I need to check in on that.

My understanding is that some makers of dummies have specific letters from CA or other states saying "this product does not suppress flash". Given how willing DC seems to let other states do all the legal legwork, reckon they'd be pretty willing to accept a CA-approved device?

I think I must agree, I never knew it existed until today. Glad TapTheForwardAssist posted this thread, good info in one easy to find place.
No worries, this is kinda what I do for a living in my day job, so glad to apply it to hobbies too.

Still really hoping for info on:
  • What colors of paint/finish to use on handguards, and for coloring the receiver/barrel assembly
  • Dummy flash suppressors
  • Non-laminate walnut stocks
  • Good finish options for making the standard stocks look more military
  • Any other rear sights, or is TecSights the hands-down M14-esque option?

Also if I get a blued Mini-14 and a black SOCOM strut for the interim, and later get them cryo'ed and duracoated (to whatever color resembles 'Nam-era M14s), am I at any real disadvantage over having bought stainless in the first place, other than my bore not being ultra-rustproof?
TapTheForwardAssist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 21:02   #8
ssm

Good stainless, as used in firearms, is not "ultra-rustproof" - it's rust resistant.

Stainless firearms will rust if neglected and can rust badly depending on the stainless alloy used.

Friend - gun guy and pistol shooter and smith (studied at Trinidad, CO) - said first S&W Model 60 he saw was in the RVN (late 1960s). Said the revolver was "red" - it was covered with rust.

YMMV
Old 03-31-2014, 01:18   #9
USAF SF

What about straight magazines? I know 10 round mags come off as straight, but does anyone know a manufacturer of other straight mags?

UPDATE: Found the straight magazines (20 Rounders), and they are IN STOCK. Perhaps this is worth adding to your list up there. http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/...l#.UzltAvldWT8
Quentin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by USSF06; 03-31-2014 at 07:27.
USSF06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 16:43   #10

Why not use the M14 Flash hider?

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger...-mini-m14.html

I had just used the flash hider from Ruger:
whofarted likes this.

Last edited by GreyWolf; 04-27-2014 at 16:48. Reason: spelling
GreyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 16:47   #11
Garand-ite

Wow. That's awesome.
Old 04-27-2014, 16:55   #12

How about an M1?

Davcruz and Genral_Tojo like this.
Old 04-27-2014, 17:22   #13
ssm

Originally Posted by GreyWolf View Post
How about an M1?

Looks kinda like an early BM-59.

Oh - Good Grief! Did you change the gas system and op-rod?

Or are you just pulling our collective legs?

YMMV
Old 04-27-2014, 17:39   #14

Why not use the M14 Flash hider?

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger...-mini-m14.html

I had just used the flash hider from Ruger:
I always love seeing GreyWolfs shiney pink mini. I would love to rock that at the range
Genral_Tojo likes this.
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 18:58   #15

Originally Posted by ssm View Post
Looks kinda like an early BM-59.

Oh - Good Grief! Did you change the gas system and op-rod?

Or are you just pulling our collective legs?

YMMV
Not mine, I don't have the time or money right now. But yes, its a real Mini-14 with a M1 gas system.

Here's some info about it:
It is not any more difficult than any other rifle. You are limited to a one inch Barrel diameter at the chamber area because of the front magazine lock up.
This barrel is one inch at the chamber, it tapers at the chamber area to .750" under the hand guards, then follows the Garand barrel dimensions to the muzzle.
This conversion uses a standard Garand gas cylinder & front sight assembly which mates perfectly with the standard Mini rear sight.

The operating rod is a mating of the Mini 14 op rod and the Garand operating rod.
The mini14 pictured is a 180 series and uses a somewhat different operating rod than the later series, but conversion is the same.

Basicly you cut two inches off of the front of the Mini Operating rod which exposes the operating rod spring tunnel. You then open up the end of the tunnel to accept the cut down Garand operaing rod, and and weld in place.

The operating rod spring is a cut down Garand Spring.
ssm and Genral_Tojo like this.
Old 04-27-2014, 19:01   #16

Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
I always love seeing GreyWolfs shiney pink mini. I would love to rock that at the range
My girl loves showing it off, it brings a smile to everyone's face when they handle it. But I need to find a sling for her, I was thinking a white sling maybe, but I told her to find something she likes...
Old 04-27-2014, 19:56   #17

My girl loves showing it off, it brings a smile to everyone's face when they handle it. But I need to find a sling for her, I was thinking a white sling maybe, but I told her to find something she likes...
White would look nice. I really wish I could do a rifle like that for my wife. Hell.. I would shoot it if it were mine.
Old 04-28-2014, 13:15   #18
Garand-ite

How about an M1?

Saw that on M14 forum. Too much time free right there. Wish I had one...
Old 05-03-2014, 19:26   #19

I found the two most distinctive add-ons that make my Mini look like the M-14 are the SOCOM Accu-strut and the M-14 style flash hider from the old Choate Machine and Tool Company.

Mine is an older 185 series stainless and I installed my flash hider back in 1985 and only just installed my SOCOM last year.

I do think the AMK flash hider is a better choice as it has a much nicer fit and finish and would consider installing one if it came in stainless steel.

Until then, I am content to wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Mini-14 to M14 lookalike conversion: parts and suppliers-mini-14_12_12-19-13.jpg  
Robin185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 21:57   #20
Garand-ite

That looks good.
Old 05-04-2014, 19:18   #21

Front sight for featureless Mini 14

I used a modified Choate Sight/Suppressor for my featureless 183 series mini.

Carefully use a hacksaw to cut off the flash suppressor part of the piece. File the cut smooth and apply some cold bluing to the area of the cut.

The roll pins on the Choate are not in the same location as the original blade front sight. If you don't have a drill press and are not using your mini for critical use (home defense, LE, etc) you can mount it with blue or red loctite and use the set screw to hold it in place as a physical back up.

Line up the sight carefully first, since the loctite starts curing very quickly and you will need a torch to get it off to re-align it again.

Look Ma!, No Evil Features!

If you are fortunate to not need worry yourself about this, I like the look of the Mini -14 GB Flash hider- Here is a nice photo of one.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Mini-14 to M14 lookalike conversion: parts and suppliers-no_evil_features.jpg   Mini-14 to M14 lookalike conversion: parts and suppliers-converted-mini-14-gb.jpg  
drigeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 19:20   #22

Originally Posted by drigeba View Post
I used a modified Choate Sight/Suppressor for my featureless 183 series mini.

Carefully use a hacksaw to cut off the flash suppressor part of the piece. File the cut smooth and apply some cold bluing to the area of the cut.

The roll pins on the Choate are not in the same location as the original blade front sight. If you don't have a drill press and are not using your mini for critical use (home defense, LE, etc) you can mount it with blue or red loctite and use the set screw to hold it in place as a physical back up.

Line up the sight carefully first, since the loctite starts curing very quickly and you will need a torch to get it off to re-align it again.

Look Ma!, No Evil Features!

If you are fortunate to not need worry yourself about this, I like the look of the Mini -14 GB Flash hider- Here is a nice photo of one.

Enjoy!
Does "featureless" mean you are from California?
Old 05-04-2014, 19:29   #23

Yep!
drigeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 20:23   #24

Originally Posted by drigeba View Post
Yep!
featureless seems to be a regional word like pop or soda I am happy to see more and more left coasters showing up here. Most(all) the people I know in "real life" are terminally stricken with Black Rifle Disease.
Genral_Tojo likes this.
Old 05-05-2014, 20:45   #25
Garand-ite

Black Rifle Disease!