Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Hank Zudd
  • 1 Post By whofarted
  • 1 Post By 40nascar
  • 1 Post By 2glock3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 06:03   #1

after market mags

anyone used the no name replacement mags CDNN is currently selling?
what about the National brand mags at CTD?
just got a ranch rifle & had bad luck with some Madsen mags a while back with my last MINI.

how are the current production Thermolds? whoz see them in 20's around
lately? thanks
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Hank Zudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:10   #2

Do you have link? Aftermarket can be hit hit or miss with some mags, factory is best. I like metal mags, I can tweak them a make them work. Some may need a little filing to get to fit or smooth up an edge. I will give the feed lips a slight bend up on some for better results. I have not tried Tapco mags.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:37   #3

Be careful on judging by the image on CDNN. Guys have posted similar threads here asking bout the mags and what came in was something totally different
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 12:04   #4

the Madsen mags I had on the 187 series I owned years ago wouldn't even lock up; I've a
197 ranch now, and will pick up some factory mags, but wanted a few more.

So no one's used the National brand mags Cheaper than Dirt's selling?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:06   #5

Just outta curiosity do you mean John Masen magazines?
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:28   #6

yes; they wouldn't even lock into the gun; I called their office & got
no help; that was +10 years ago
Old 11-04-2013, 07:53   #7

I have 3 10 round Masen mags purchased from either Midway or CTD, cannot remember which but they took about 3 months to show up. I do not care for them at all. They do lock in but no last round hold open and they sit kinda slanted forward like they are barely catching the lock. Also, the plastic base on one of them is crooked.
Davcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:43   #8

Originally Posted by Hank Zudd View Post
just got a ranch rifle & had bad luck with some Madsen mags a while back with my last MINI.

lately? thanks
I have several 10 and 20 round Ruger Mini-14 .223 Premium Blue Mags (JB1410 and JB1420) from CDNN. They work great - no FTF and bolt locks open on last round.
bluzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:27   #9
Temp Banned!

I would never offend my mini by putting a National brand mag into it, they are pure garbage, most cannot be locked into place. I've had great success with the the CDNN 10 rnd high quality replacement mags (with the green follower.) They work well in my pre 580 mini. The new ruger 10 rnd. mags go in so tight, that it almost takes a crowbar to remove them (from the pre-580 mini.) The ruger mags do however work perfectly in my 580 mini.

I have a few of the Mason and Pro-mags also. They are both hit or miss. I wouldn't buy them again. The nickel pro-mags seem to almost always be problematic, so I avoid them altogether.

The CDNN high quality aftermarkets work great, and they are the only current production aftermarket mags I would reccomend and use. (Bluzman is spot on). Good luck.

Last edited by 40nascar; 11-04-2013 at 12:28. Reason: spelling
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:44   #10
ZORT member

I put Ruger followers and Wolff springs in all my mags. I have not shot with them yet. Maybe some day after they explain the mag laws in a way the make sense.
2glock3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 15:10   #11

thanks for all the replies; I'm gonna pick up some thermold 30 rounders; any comments on the latest production on those?
Old 11-05-2013, 14:42   #12

I've found the old Thermolds to be 100% reliable in my 2 Mini-14's (series 188 & 581)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:54   #13

2glock3: got here and scroll to page 74 it explains hi cap mags in CA.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...s/awguide.pdf?

Not illegal to possess, just illegal to procure by normal means.

If you find them on the ground at a range or anywhere else, they can't say or do anything.

Randy
W.R.Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 21:00   #14
ZORT member

The NRA is currently working on a suit regarding magazines. I am aware that possession is legal as long as it is blocked to 10 rounds. I am wary of taking some mags out to shoot. I don't want to have any "issues" from an uninformed Leo.

All of this mag crap is bogus. Sorry to thread jack.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:36   #15
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by 2glock3 View Post
The NRA is currently working on a suit regarding magazines. I am aware that possession is legal as long as it is blocked to 10 rounds. I am wary of taking some mags out to shoot. I don't want to have any "issues" from an uninformed Leo.

All of this mag crap is bogus. Sorry to thread jack.
Around here the U.S. forest service law enforcement (tree cop asshats) confiscate your over 10 rnd mags. Until this thing is sorted out leave your highcap mags at home for protection duty, and use the 10 rnd and under mags in public.
Old 11-07-2013, 13:32   #16

Originally Posted by Hank Zudd View Post

lately? thanks
I bought some last year and they sucked. Stick with real Ruger mags. You won't regret it.
Old 11-07-2013, 14:31   #17
Trojan33

Just purchased 2 ten round mags direct from Ruger for my Mini14. The locking tabs on the back of the mags were to thick. I had to use a dremel to reduce the tab thickness...prior to reducing the tabs, the mags would not release from the gun without initiating removal of the trigger group

Last edited by Trojan33; 11-07-2013 at 16:12.
Trojan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 15:21   #18

Nascar: are you in CA? I agree that leaving the hi caps at home is a good idea however having a print out of the Law in your possession should educate any uninformed bozo that would jack you up.

If that still doesn't work Call 911 and demand to talk to his watch commander.

They want you to be too scared to do anything. That's part of the intent of the law in the first place. To make it difficult to understand so people would be too scared to use their property.

Randy.
W.R.Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 14:33   #19
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Nascar: are you in CA? I agree that leaving the hi caps at home is a good idea however having a print out of the Law in your possession should educate any uninformed bozo that would jack you up.

If that still doesn't work Call 911 and demand to talk to his watch commander.

They want you to be too scared to do anything. That's part of the intent of the law in the first place. To make it difficult to understand so people would be too scared to use their property.

Randy.
I'd rather not have to educate the dumbasses. Besides, the law changes to thier point of view on 1/1/14 anyway. I'll shoot my 10's in public and not be harassed too much. I'm not scared. I just don't have the patience for embicels.
2glock3 likes this.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:52   #20
ZORT member

Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
I'd rather not have to educate the dumbasses. Besides, the law changes to thier point of view on 1/1/14 anyway. I'll shoot my 10's in public and not be harassed too much. I'm not scared. I just don't have the patience for embicels.
It does change in Jan. Plus I don't see things going well if an average joe tries to educate anyone in some type of law enforcement. If you had a letter that was directly from DOJ that was signed, you might be able to get away with it.
40nascar likes this.