When did Ruger stop making blued Tactical models. - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By W.R.Buchanan
  • 1 Post By Hellgate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 08:19   #1

When did Ruger stop making blued Tactical models.

Ruger's current catalog says all models of the Tactical Mini-14 are stainless steel. They show black colored versions and the company photo of the plain SS shows a pencil barrel model.

Do they make them in all SS then parkerize the SS to make it look blued/black?

Did they used to make blued versions of the Tactical or are all of them SS just some models matte black and others not?

I'm thinking of getting one but would like a SS but if they are all SS it doesn't matter. The one I'm thinking of getting is a 581 series (taper barrel) and the owner says it's blued. It looks like a matte black to me. If it's stainless underneath I'll get it.

With over 15 revolvers I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball.

Gun control=OSHA for criminals

NRA-Life
SASS#3302L/Regulator
Hellgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:51   #2
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Ruger's current catalog says all models of the Tactical Mini-14 are stainless steel. They show black colored versions and the company photo of the plain SS shows a pencil barrel model.

Do they make them in all SS then parkerize the SS to make it look blued/black?

Did they used to make blued versions of the Tactical or are all of them SS just some models matte black and others not?

I'm thinking of getting one but would like a SS but if they are all SS it doesn't matter. The one I'm thinking of getting is a 581 series (taper barrel) and the owner says it's blued. It looks like a matte black to me. If it's stainless underneath I'll get it.
Ruger has on occassion produced black "stainless" barreled mini's, usually through limited "distributer specials" dealers such as Davidsons (gallery of guns), Buckeye, ect.

You really need to be able to look at it, or have a buddy look at it who has seen one before. Other than that the only way to verify it is to have the original box, matched to the serial # and with the labeling that says its a stainless mini. Good luck.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:01   #3

the Mini-30 Tactical is still blued...
ruger9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2013, 09:21   #4

Can I test the barrel with a magnate to tell if there's a difference between a carbon steel and SS? Usually SS is less magnetic or not at all.

NRA-Life
SASS#3302L/Regulator
Old 10-31-2013, 13:27   #5

My Mini14 is a 580xxx made in 2005 and it is black with a Gray Laminate stock.

The metal finish is not blued, It is a phosphate black same as my Ruger Scout bolt gun.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
When did Ruger stop making blued Tactical models.-47130.jpg   When did Ruger stop making blued Tactical models.-47129.jpg  
W.R.Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 18:10   #6

Can I test the barrel with a magnate to tell if there's a difference between a carbon steel and SS?
My SS Mini-14 is magnetic.
bwraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 19:51   #7

bwraven : that is because it is made from 400 series Stainless steel which is magnetic. It is also cheaper than 300 series Stainless steels, and the 400 series material is rust resistant enough for firearm use.

300 series stainless is the kind that is not magnetic, however it is much more malleable and this is due to the much higher content of Nickel and Chromium which is what makes stainless steel,,, Stainless.

Any of it will rust if contaminated or left in a corrosive atmosphere,,, Like salt water.

Randy
tri70 and Poor_Dog like this.
W.R.Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 21:21   #8

Here's what I wrtote and got back from Ruger:

"Comment / question:

Are your 581 series Mini-14 TACTICAL Rifles with the matte black (phosphate?) finish blued alloy or stainless steel?
Your online catalog says the current Tactical models are all stainless. I'm confused.
Tye in Orygun

Response:
This is Finish blued alloy on the blued models and stainless steel on the stainless models. Thank you for your email. "

Sounds like the online catalog has a typo.
tri70 likes this.

NRA-Life
SASS#3302L/Regulator