Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 20:03   #1
Banned

my completed mini-14 project.sub 1''moa @100yrds

Attachment 24702

Attachment 24703

Attachment 24704this is my 581 mini-14 I built myself.1lb&12oz trigger with the use of accuracy rifle system adjustable wider trigger,total trigger travel is 1/8'', very short pull is measured from the bottom of the trigger hook itself,this trigger is very ,very safe,. yoda style trigger over travel stop.I lightened the slide,installed a adjustable gas block.shortened & recrowned barrel to 16-3/8'' with a choate flash hider permanently installed.this is measured from the closed bolt.using a mini-scout mount 3 which bolt to the gas block.in the factory scope rings I mounted the new bushnell AR 3-12X40 w/ BDC compensation & parrelax adj.mounted to the scope by way of GG&G b-comp mount & the 30 mm to 1'' adaptor ring is a burris fastfire 3 with sunshade.i used a choate 5 position adj stock with forend liner& stock reinforcement.bi-pod floor plate & bi-pod,viking tactics sling/quick swivel disconnect mounts.quick mag release & quick bolt release.i did a write up in the new member introduction forum. shooting from the bench off a bipod /federal 5.56-55 grain xm193f ammo shoots just under 1'' at 100yrds-with custom loads will shoot consistant 3/8'' to 1/2'' 5 shoot groups.

Last edited by usmc; 03-15-2015 at 07:57.
usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 22:29   #2

Nice dialed in piece.
DMcPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:51   #3
AC-556 Owner

Is your flash hider blind pinned & welded on?

If not that going to be viewed as a short barrel rifle per ATF.

According to your post the barrel is 16 3/8" with the flash hider. Thats fine so long as its attached in a perm manner to ATF regs
Poor_Dog likes this.
Dacotua is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 05:27   #4

It's a rare Mini that consistently shoots sub-moa.

Thanks for the info...
usmc likes this.
Old 10-16-2013, 16:29   #5
Banned

took alot time and research to get my mini 14 to shoot as well & consistant as it does without going to a aftermarket barrel or a barrel strut. the chaote flash suppressor Is silver soldered& pinned on.the barrel was checked for run out.run out was good after i completed the installed choate flash hider.but yes it is permanently installed.
JRedHorse likes this.

Last edited by usmc; 10-30-2013 at 14:45.
Old 10-16-2013, 17:13   #6
Banned

I looked at many 3 gun style & tactical carbine competition rifles before starting on my mini 14.it payed off.
Old 10-22-2013, 17:49   #7

"Quick bolt release"
Is that something you built or did you buy it?
Nice build BTW.
Jack
CaptainJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 20:39   #8

Very well done!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:53   #9

Originally Posted by Poor_Dog View Post
It's a rare Mini that consistently shoots sub-moa.

Thanks for the info...
This.....can you show the targets and groups?
Poor_Dog likes this.
crockett007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 15:44   #10

As they say, "pics or it didn't happen"!
Old 10-23-2013, 17:17   #11
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptainJack View Post
"Quick bolt release"
Is that something you built or did you buy it?
Nice build BTW.
Jack
thank you jack,yes I did it myself. I put the bolt catch on my drill press,aligned it in place then drilled & tapped it to 6/32.installed a 6/32 ss bolt.figured the location for the cover plate & used a pencil dremel to cut the slot in the cover plate.i posted a different one that another member did also.his released & locked the bolt back in the open position.it is under , youtube-mini 30 bolt release operation.

Last edited by usmc; 10-23-2013 at 17:55.
Old 10-23-2013, 17:32   #12
Banned

Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
As they say, "pics or it didn't happen"!
as they say,''put some money up & head the short trip to texas''. I will show you in person.i'm easy to find as i'm the only & I repeat ,the only mini 14 that out shoots the AR's. when I have the time I even help many of the AR shooters out while i'm at the range. the range I go to the gun range here in Houston texas.come on out & this old MARINE will show you,'' how it does happen".in ending I will post pics of tagets when I can.tri70 I started a different post asking any mini 14 operators in the Houston area that could go to range for reasons of helping them out(free)in getting their mini's to shoot much better(sub 1''MOA @ 100yrds if the skill set is there.) without going broke . I would show them my build & demonstrate my mini's accuracy with my skill set. I would not make the offer if I could not do the task. USMC.

Last edited by usmc; 11-30-2013 at 10:57.
Old 10-23-2013, 17:56   #13
Banned

Originally Posted by JRedHorse View Post
Very well done!
thank you sir .
Old 10-24-2013, 04:59   #14

It's a bold statement to you have a 1" @100 yd shooter with factory ammo for 5 shots. Guys get on here with ASI custom barrels and hand loads get close. A lot easier to out shoot AR, I do that against my brother. Several people have shot 1" with 3 shots or hit 5 shots a few times, I've come close myself. So after 10 yrs of reading, the BS will peg out now and then. Show us what you have, we are eyes.
chill1955 and Poor_Dog like this.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:00   #15

Originally Posted by usmc View Post
as they say,''put some money up & head the short trip to texas''. I will show you in person.i'm easy to find as i'm the only & I repeat ,the only mini 14 that out shoots the AR's. when I have the time I even help many of the AR shooters out while i'm at the range. the range I go to -clear creek gun range Houston texas.come on out & this old MARINE will show you,'' how it does happen".in ending I will post pics of tagets when I can.tri70 I started a different post asking any mini 14 operators in the Houston area that could go to clear creek range for reasons of helping them out(free)in getting their mini's to shoot much better(sub 1''MOA if the skill set is there.) without going broke . I would show them my build & demonstrate my mini's accuracy with my skill set. I would not make the offer if I could not do the task. USMC.
MOA is the same at all distances. When we make claims that "my rifle shoots sub MOA".....obviously the audience is skeptical. 1 MOA at 200, 300...that's a rifle. The mini is not known as a precision rifle, so bolt gun guys like me are bound to raise an eyebrow. Five shot strings sub MOA out to 400yds is what I need to see before I sign up...lol
Poor_Dog and Cajun Kamikaze like this.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:22   #16

thank you jack,yes I did it myself. I put the bolt catch on my drill press,aligned it in place then drilled & tapped it to 6/32.installed a 6/32 ss bolt.figured the location for the cover plate & used a pencil dremel to cut the slot in the cover plate.i posted a different one that another member did also.his released & locked the bolt back in the open position.it is under , youtube-mini 30 bolt release operation.
Thanks usmc for the youtube reference, found the videos. I am going to have to look at that mod for my Sage EBR build-out.
Jack
(USCG btw)
CaptainJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:18   #17

I would like to see a step by step video on how to make the quick bolt release that you made great work good looking rifle
Old 10-24-2013, 14:47   #18
Banned

Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
MOA is the same at all distances. When we make claims that "my rifle shoots sub MOA".....obviously the audience is skeptical. 1 MOA at 200, 300...that's a rifle. The mini is not known as a precision rifle, so bolt gun guys like me are bound to raise an eyebrow. Five shot strings sub MOA out to 400yds is what I need to see before I sign up...lol
crockett007 in the thread title it clearly states ,SUB 1''MOA @ 100YRDS.i did not say over 100yrds crockett007,so what is all your typing about?

Last edited by usmc; 10-24-2013 at 15:52.
Old 10-24-2013, 15:40   #19
Banned

It's a bold statement to you have a 1" @100 yd shooter with factory ammo for 5 shots. Guys get on here with ASI custom barrels and hand loads get close. A lot easier to out shoot AR, I do that against my brother. Several people have shot 1" with 3 shots or hit 5 shots a few times, I've come close myself. So after 10 yrs of reading, the BS will peg out now and then. Show us what you have, we are eyes.
tri70 as far as what you shoot,what you have read after 10 yrs & what custom load or custom ASI barrel somebody uses does not concern me.i come to this forum to share & get info, not to get into a waste of time pissing contest with you or anyone else.the statement was sub 1'' moa @ 100yrds.
in ending tri70 my offer still stands.let me know if you can make the trip.bring a little cash & I will send you back home with empty pockets.it is just that simple.
Old 10-24-2013, 15:46   #20

Very nice!!! I have the same stock. What did you use to fill the holes on the side of the stock?
Painfulitchingandswelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 15:55   #21
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptainJack View Post
Thanks usmc for the youtube reference, found the videos. I am going to have to look at that mod for my Sage EBR build-out.
Jack
(USCG btw)
edorfox is a full member and can give you details on his mod for that youtube clip I wrote about.and your welcome sir.
Old 10-24-2013, 15:59   #22
Banned

Originally Posted by xddan View Post
I would like to see a step by step video on how to make the quick bolt release that you made great work good looking rifle
xddan I do not have a vid of my mod,only pics . I wrote how I did it.it is pretty straight forward.
xddan likes this.
Old 10-24-2013, 16:57   #23

Demonstrate the accuracy with a video of the accuracy or at least post a picture of the super mini and your helpful knowledge to us. Be my hero and post a simple picture of a target.
Savagemarksman likes this.
Old 10-24-2013, 17:53   #24
Banned

Demonstrate the accuracy with a video of the accuracy or at least post a picture of the super mini and your helpful knowledge to us. Be my hero and post a simple picture of a target.
tri70 I will post target pics this weekend.tri70 i don't want to be your hero,i just would like you to bring yourself, some cash& your mini to TEXAS AND let this old MARINE empty your pockets out.you could have it recoreded & post it up for all to see.
tri70 likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:31   #25

crockett007 in the thread title it clearly states ,SUB 1''MOA @ 100YRDS.i did not say over 100yrds crockett007,so what is all your typing about?
A sub 1MOA rifle means that it is sub 1 MOA out to the limit of its effective range,....that's my point. You're not the only "marine" in the world. You've done some mods to your rifle implying that you and the rifle can out perform all comers. Put the proof out there and we will all shut up. oooorah
tri70 likes this.