my completed mini-14 project.sub 1''moa @100yrds - Page 6 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 19:57   #126
Ronin

Yes!! I finally got a nickname.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:31   #127
Banned

Originally Posted by KingANuthin View Post
Thank you for the response.
No doubt your mini shoots well, and you have the skill to handle her.
I LOVE the Garand style action of the mini. BUT the Mini hasn't seen the professional attention the m1a1 or M14 has seen, and a 1 MOA group from them is rare. Hell, my dad and I were estatic to get a 4" group from his Garand. (I still want to strangle him for selling it less from what I would have bought it for).

My mini 30 tactical full barrel (no taper) shoots 2"-3.5", but could do better in the right hands. I did strut, glass bed (I use to make surf boards, so I'm good with resins), trigger, gas block..
I have a M4A1 Socom that does 1"-2" groups. Yeah, that gun makes me look good.. But even the piston ARs have a hard time making less than 1", and they have had tons of R&D money dropped into them.
So, you have to understand that a <1" MOA mini is a really big pill to swallow.
Make no mistake, we want it to be true. We just are VERY sceptical and want solid evidence.

Also, my bozo pic, is from a video game "Gotham City Imposters". The Joker has an oldi mini 14 GB folder. Thought it was fitting for the forum.
my mini was about a 1-3/4'' to 2''grouper before i started my build.& then i got started.
i did not bed my stock because i epoxied the stock reinforcement in place & tig weld crush pin the trigger guard locking lugs and after file fitting several times i final blue contact checked the contact points.the contact check showed a slight hard right hand side.i finished filed fitting the right side for a total of .007'' on the left lug & .006'' on the right.it does makes it difficult during disassembly but the stock to action is very tight.the re-crowned barrel is a true rigid 14-7/8'' which is why my mini does better with xm193f vs the slower by 200 fps xm193 and other slower 55 g ammo.the permanent choate flash hider brings the barrel to a legal 16-3/8''.the amegamount 3 soaks some of the barrel heat & adds rigidness to the barrel.the adjustable gas block has been torqued & evenly spaced per sides(also if you have a adjustable gas block & closed the gas path to the slide making it a single fire weapon you can kick your accuracy up a whole new level).the scope mounts bolts as all other bolts have been properly torqued.the scope mount rings have also been correctly aligned as well as the bushnell 3-12 AR scope,very important.in the rotating field that i work(turbine,centrifugal ,ets)i have many different precision tools i use which has help me in getting my mini set up, not to mention various test i can perform such as NDT/vibration impulse etc.my slide has been lightened a great deal but kept the factory recoil spring.action timing i regulated by adjusting my gas block(think about it).during my group sessions i made & used a lead pistol grip insert to add more stability during group firing,also had lead inserts installed in the spare battery compartments in the stock.this mini weight was over 13-1/2 lbs during those target sessions i posted.pretty heavy just like my mother-in-law.
the trigger group i must say is the ticket.1/8'' total travel from rest to full pull at 1 pound & 12 oz and very crisp set the stage just right for me.the other mods i have done are also a add up to the good groups.but yes i have no doubt if i applied myself in a AR platform with what is already out there(trigger groups,ss match barrels,gas blocks etc) i could put sub 1/2'' groups up on the board.thats just to easy.i like my mini,it works for me.to note,i'm taking the 3-12x40 off as well as all the lead weights & installing a burris 2-7x35 w/fast fire 3 & setting my mini 14 up for tactical carbine shooting.going to the range today or tomorrow to get dialed in.i was told the furthest these tournament shoot at is 200 yrds.so i will see what i can do.these are run & gun timed events.i still workout & jog 3 miles in decent time but i don't know how i will do against these young guys.we'll see.i like that avatar now that you explained it.pretty good picture.
KingANuthin likes this.

Last edited by usmc; 06-29-2014 at 05:29.
usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:44   #128
Banned

Originally Posted by bow42 View Post
Yes!! I finally got a nickname.
you are a good sport.happy veteran day on nov 11,2013.

Last edited by usmc; 11-09-2013 at 13:13.

Old 11-09-2013, 13:47   #129
Gun Owner Hell (AKA Cali)

Originally Posted by usmc View Post
some of the members of this forum that do not understand that marines & only marines qualify at 200,300&500 yrds with iron sights.
They recently changed the rifle qual. We shoot the same yrd lines but with 4x ACOG, ain't that some ****. Waaaayy to easy now.
YutHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 14:02   #130

my mini was about a 1-3/4'' to 2''grouper before i started my build.& then i got started.
i did not bed my stock because i epoxied the stock reinforcement in place & tig weld crush pin the trigger guard locking lugs and after file fitting several times i final blue contact checked the contact points.the contact check showed a slight hard right hand side.i finished filed fitting another .006'' off the right side for a total of .027'' on the left lug & .021'' on the right.it does makes it difficult during disassembly but the stock to action is very tight.the re-crowned barrel is a true rigid 14-7/8'' which is why my mini does better with xm193f vs the slower by 200 fps xm193 and other slower 55 g ammo.the permanent choate flash hider brings the barrel to a legal 16-3/8''.the amegamount 3 soaks some of the barrel heat & adds rigidness to the barrel.the adjustable gas block has been torqued & evenly spaced per sides(also if you have a adjustable gas block & closed the gas path to the slide making it a single fire weapon you can kick your accuracy up a whole new level).the scope mounts bolts as all other bolts have been properly torqued.the scope mount rings have also been correctly aligned as well as the bushnell 3-12 AR scope,very important.in the rotating field that i work(turbine,centrifugal ,ets)i have many different precision tools i use which has help me in getting my mini set up, not to mention various test i can perform such as NDT/vibration impulse etc.my slide has been lightened a great deal but kept the factory recoil spring.action timing i regulated by adjusting my gas block(think about it).during my group sessions i made & used a lead pistol grip insert to add more stability during group firing,also had lead inserts installed in the spare battery compartments in the stock.this mini weight was over 13-1/2 lbs during those tagert sessions i posted.pretty heavy just like my mother-in-law.
the trigger group i must say is the ticket.1/8'' total travel from rest to full pull at 1 pound & 12 oz and very crisp set the stage just right for me.the other mods i have done are also a add up to the good groups.but yes i have no doubt if i applied myself in a AR platform with what is already out there(trigger groups,ss match barrels,gas blocks etc) i could put sub 1/2'' groups up on the board.thats just to easy.i like my mini,it works for me.to note,i'm taking the 3-12x40 off as well as all the lead weights & installing a burris 2-7x35 w/fast fire 3 & setting my mini 14 up for tactical carbine shooting.going to the range today or tomorrow to get dialed in.i was told the furthest these tournament shoot at is 200 yrds.so i will see what i can do.these are run & gun timed events.i still workout & jog 3 miles in decent time but i don't know how i will do against these young guys.we'll see.i like that avatar now that you explained it.pretty good picture.
Thanks for the details on your mini, this would have saved a disbeleif in previous post. I did not read enough details from previous post for this gun to shoot so well. The weight and truing the action up makes sense but a heavy rifle. Well done!
usmc likes this.
Old 11-09-2013, 20:35   #131
Banned

Originally Posted by YutHunter View Post
They recently changed the rifle qual. We shoot the same yrd lines but with 4x ACOG, ain't that some ****. Waaaayy to easy now.
dam, that is much better. glad to hear upper brass used good judgement,this gives our 0311's a better tool for combat.semper fi.happy veteran day& happy birthday marine.

Last edited by usmc; 11-10-2013 at 06:52.
Old 11-09-2013, 20:39   #132
Banned

Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
Thanks for the details on your mini, this would have saved a disbeleif in previous post. I did not read enough details from previous post for this gun to shoot so well. The weight and truing the action up makes sense but a heavy rifle. Well done!
the heavier a shooting platform is to a certain degree will be less upset during firing &during recoil.

Last edited by usmc; 07-14-2014 at 19:52.
Old 11-09-2013, 20:41   #133
Ronin

you are a good sport.happy veteran day on nov 11,2013.
Thanks. To you as well.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:13   #134
Banned

Happy birthday marines.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:29   #135
hostilenativelibertarian.

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!Livin near the most godless American city.
Okay guys;all of you longtimers and short-timers take notice!The mini-14 will shoot sub moa at 100 yds-period!It will take work to achieve that!I personally have no more firearms-due to obamanomics,and got drunk and sold them all at the "bar"!But- when I did own some,I had a pair of oldies 181,and 183 that shot sub moa(@100yds)with handloads and lots of careful attention to detail of working with the garand action!I am not married so I had the time to give love and attention to the minis.Now I will state this;these guns would never fire factory,or military ammo with this kind of accuracy,and these were hunting and match grade bullets,and all of the groups were from cold barrels-rounds fired at an average of one per minute.I even posted pics on here(back in 05,to 07-I think.I finally put out ALOT of money back in 06 and had a custom mini(my specs) built by ASI in colorado,and it was a shooter!trouble is that it needed wheels and a caison to go with it in the field-and the best it shot was 1/4" moa less than the earlier minis(1/2")!And no I did'nt post pics of it-although I did get notice from the local sert team that was at the same range on the day I was testing-some raised eyebrows,and nodds.
WalkingBear-we still need to get back together for breakfast or lunch again.And Usmc-It is not only the Marines that can shoot-I was in the seabeas,and went thru infantry training at gtmo from you jarheads.On range day we shot the 300 yd/meter course(I think it was called the "B" course)I remember pissing of a few jarheads that day when the gunny pointed out to the marines my target, and said "why in the phuque can't you marines shoot like this seabee"!They covered all ten shots from the sitting position with one 4"spotter,and my range coach kept telling me that I would never hit the target without using my sling,and to shoot slower.That was when I had good eyes and youthful reflexes.Yea I made a few less new friends that day.And usmc-oorah,have a good veterans day-one vet to another!Same goes for you-WalkinBear!
If any of you other pu members wish to learn how to ,make your mini a better shooter-then read every thing you can on tuning the m1 garand,and m14/m1a for accuracy-and apply it on your mini!
tri70 and usmc like this.
The voices in my head say they don't like you!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:37   #136

I dont think the mini really shoots anything.. everytime i pull the trigger on mine all i here is a bang and nothing ever hits the paper.. I think its nothing more than an overpriced cap gun... this entire boards a sham!!

Hmmm... funny.. now that I think about it... none of my rifles shoot anything... Perhaps I should look into a less skilled hobby
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:42   #137
Banned

Originally Posted by magnomark View Post
Okay guys;all of you longtimers and short-timers take notice!The mini-14 will shoot sub moa at 100 yds-period!It will take work to achieve that!I personally have no more firearms-due to obamanomics,and got drunk and sold them all at the "bar"!But- when I did own some,I had a pair of oldies 181,and 183 that shot sub moa(@100yds)with handloads and lots of careful attention to detail of working with the garand action!I am not married so I had the time to give love and attention to the minis.Now I will state this;these guns would never fire factory,or military ammo with this kind of accuracy,and these were hunting and match grade bullets,and all of the groups were from cold barrels-rounds fired at an average of one per minute.I even posted pics on here(back in 05,to 07-I think.I finally put out ALOT of money back in 06 and had a custom mini(my specs) built by ASI in colorado,and it was a shooter!trouble is that it needed wheels and a caison to go with it in the field-and the best it shot was 1/4" moa less than the earlier minis(1/2")!And no I did'nt post pics of it-although I did get notice from the local sert team that was at the same range on the day I was testing-some raised eyebrows,and nodds.
WalkingBear-we still need to get back together for breakfast or lunch again.And Usmc-It is not only the Marines that can shoot-I was in the seabeas,and went thru infantry training at gtmo from you jarheads.On range day we shot the 300 yd/meter course(I think it was called the "B" course)I remember pissing of a few jarheads that day when the gunny pointed out to the marines my target, and said "why in the phuque can't you marines shoot like this seabee"!They covered all ten shots from the sitting position with one 4"spotter,and my range coach kept telling me that I would never hit the target without using my sling,and to shoot slower.That was when I had good eyes and youthful reflexes.Yea I made a few less new friends that day.And usmc-oorah,have a good veterans day-one vet to another!Same goes for you-WalkinBear!
If any of you other pu members wish to learn how to ,make your mini a better shooter-then read every thing you can on tuning the m1 garand,and m14/m1a for accuracy-and apply it on your mini!
magnomark how are doing & happy veteran day to you.us leatherneck&sailors always give each other a hard time,that is part of our history.but that to the side I cannot help but stating I've met some Seabee's while stationed on Okinawa back in the early 80's,pretty cool guys.now the part about shooting.we as marines have a outstanding shooting base PMI training because when $h!t hit the fan there are less of us within a fighting force than any other branch of the military.and not to mention we are called the presidents own because we can be sent into harms way without congressional approval (WHICH MEANS WE ARE ON OUR OWN).as a smaller force the kill ratio must be tilted in our favor as to keep our enemy dead on their backs at a further distance so as when engagement get closer there is less of enemy in the fight.this is why the marines qualify at 500 yards and all other branches only qual at 300 yards.of course there are top shooter in all branches of service & I respect them all.my nephew who has 7 combat tours in only 16 years with the 82nd airborn is one of these such types of exceptional shooters.he went as a good shooter because I spent the time teaching when he was young and not in the service yet.as many have had dads or other friends or relatives teach them.in ending we all can shoot,but we all must be willing to learn to shoot better.i did exactly what you wrote about getting information on the garand design of rifle.from garand to the EBR m-14& all modded mini's I could find on the internet before doing my build.there are more things/mods that I can do but it becomes a money issue & weight issue. why did you get rid of your mini?i've been through reaganomics,bushonomics sr.,clintonomics,g.w.bushonomics&obomanomics as an adult and did not let any of the nomics effect me.keep the 2nd amendment valid,arm back up when you get the chance magnomark,arm up even if it is a .22 lr. usmc.
tri70 likes this.

Last edited by usmc; 11-10-2013 at 09:02.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:13   #138
Banned

Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
I dont think the mini really shoots anything.. everytime i pull the trigger on mine all i here is a bang and nothing ever hits the paper.. I think its nothing more than an overpriced cap gun... this entire boards a sham!!

Hmmm... funny.. now that I think about it... none of my rifles shoot anything... Perhaps I should look into a less skilled hobby
once the fundamental are learned correctly/basic PMI then the actual act of shooting is simple.whofarted I don't know your age or your mental capacity,but if you are good with both you can shoot just as good or just as bad as anyone. it is what you put into a craft that you will get out of it .
Old 11-10-2013, 09:32   #139

I don't know your age or your mental capacity,.
I rank somewhere between Slingblade and Forrest Gump
Risasi and usmc like this.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:42   #140

Haven't laughed that hard in years - good to have you back!

Best,
Grumpy
tri70 likes this.
grumpy_old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:34   #141
hostilenativelibertarian.

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!Livin near the most godless American city.
obomanomics as an adult and did not let any of the nomics effect me.keep the 2nd amendment valid,arm back up when you get the chance magnomark,arm up even if it is a .22 lr. usmc.
Usmc.............................................. ..sarcasm!I got rid of my gunz because the thing in the whitehouse does'nt like them! I bought a tea cup poodle and a chinchilla, and a really laid back wolverine the first two will tear your nutz off and rip out your throat-the last will pizz all over your dead carcass if you try to harm me-so who needs gunz?These little guys are really trained!.....................Now would you like to buy that beach front property in laramie wyoming?
tri70 and usmc like this.
The voices in my head say they don't like you!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:39   #142

Originally Posted by magnomark View Post
Usmc.............................................. ..sarcasm!I got rid of my gunz because the thing in the whitehouse does'nt like them! I bought a tea cup poodle and a chinchilla, and a really laid back wolverine the first two will tear your nutz off and rip out your throat-the last will pizz all over your dead carcass if you try to harm me-so who needs gunz?These little guys are really trained!.....................Now would you like to buy that beach front property in laramie wyoming?

How dare you support the oppressive and cruel chinchilla trade

tri70 likes this.
Old 11-10-2013, 13:34   #143
Banned

I rank somewhere between Slingblade and Forrest Gump
hmmmm.are you a closet politician whofarted?just kidding.what ever floats your boat.
Old 11-10-2013, 13:37   #144
Banned

[QUOTE=magnomark;797292] Usmc.............................................. ..sarcasm!I got rid of my gunz because the thing in the whitehouse does'nt like them! I bought a tea cup poodle and a chinchilla, and a really laid back wolverine the first two will tear your nutz off and rip out your throat-the last will pizz all over your dead carcass if you try to harm me-so who needs gunz?These little guys are really trained!.....................Now would you like to buy that beach front property in laramie wyoming?[/QUOTE) O.K.,thats pretty good.
Old 11-10-2013, 13:45   #145
ssm

How dare you support the oppressive and cruel chinchilla trade

But so tasty!
ssm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 14:15   #146

Happy Birthday USMC! and have a good Veterans Day.
I plan to celebrate for the veterans who can't.
Sad Veterans Day for me. A friend of my family, Sgt Dennis Jolley, Army National Guard, Iraq and Afghanistan vet took his own life a few days ago. Victim of PTSD, left behind a young daughter. Saw and did too much that he couldn't turn off. 204th Engineer Combat Battalion disposed of and saw the effects of many IED's.

RIP Dennis.

If you will, say a prayer for his family and raise a to his memory and the others who paid the price.

Semper fi,
WB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All Rights Reserved
Walkenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 14:18   #147

Hey Magnomark, I'll be in touch
Have a good Vets Day!
WB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All Rights Reserved
Walkenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 15:54   #148
Banned

Originally Posted by Walkenbear View Post
Happy Birthday USMC! and have a good Veterans Day.
I plan to celebrate for the veterans who can't.
Sad Veterans Day for me. A friend of my family, Sgt Dennis Jolley, Army National Guard, Iraq and Afghanistan vet took his own life a few days ago. Victim of PTSD, left behind a young daughter. Saw and did too much that he couldn't turn off. 204th Engineer Combat Battalion disposed of and saw the effects of many IED's.

RIP Dennis.

If you will, say a prayer for his family and raise a to his memory and the others who paid the price.

Semper fi,
WB
happy birthday& happy veteran day to you sir.sorry about your friend.RIP. will do.semper fi sir.

Last edited by usmc; 01-04-2014 at 16:44.