Mini 14 and Tula .223? - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cma g21
  • 1 Post By bow42

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 18:00   #1

Mini 14 and Tula .223?

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death already, but I was wondering if anyone has had any issues shooting Tula steel case .223 in their Mini 14. Will it possibly cause any extra wear and tear or cause firing pin breakage like steel case ammo in the Mini 30?

Thanks.

Also what kind of accuracy has you guys been able to get with Tula?

Last edited by Cole125; 10-07-2013 at 10:41.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 22:31   #2

I cannot comment on the extra wear but mine chews them up and spits them out. The Tula .223 is primed with what appears to be standard boxer primers. kwg
kwg020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:50   #3

I have had stuck cases in the chamber using Tula (I keep my chamber well cleaned).

I avoid it at all costs now.
bwraven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 06:57   #4

I've shot 'em before with no issues, accuracy isn't all that great. If you just want a cheap way to run the rifle, go for it, shouldn't hurt a thing.

Almost all the steel cased ammo has some minor QC problems but most will always go bang and cycle the action just fine.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:47   #5

Thanks for the input guys. I am of course just looking to get trigger time in with my Mini 14 for cheap, good accuracy is not too important.

One more thing, I have heard it is not good to shoot steel case and then go over to shooting brass case without cleaning. Does this apply to all steel case ammo or just the polymer coated stuff like Wolf?
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 14:26   #6

Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I am of course just looking to get trigger time in with my Mini 14 for cheap, good accuracy is not too important.

One more thing, I have heard it is not good to shoot steel case and then go over to shooting brass case without cleaning. Does this apply to all steel case ammo or just the polymer coated stuff like Wolf?
This is all steel case ammo. Steel does not expand and contract like brass. It allow more fouling to get into the chamber, thus cases get stuck. I have shot thousands of rounds out of my Mini 14. The firing pin did break when shooting the berdan primed steel stuff. I shoot only Tula now(boxer primed).
jerry curlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 18:48   #7

I would think that berdan primed steel cases would be murder on firing pins with the steel case itself forming the anvil upon which the firing pin must crush the priming compound. That's steel on steel with a thin sandwich of brass between. Ugh!

With over 15 revolvers I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball.

Gun control=OSHA for criminals

NRA-Life
SASS#3302L/Regulator
Hellgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:13   #8

Stuck Tula steel cases

I bought a bunch of Tula when I first got my Mini, have decided to use up what I have then only buy brass. The Tula shoots accurately and operates most of the time very well. I have had may stuck cases, some of which have splits in the steel at the mouth. Have to ram it out with an aluminum cleaning rod. The chamber and gun are kept clean, so that is not the issue. I have begun spraying the cases with dry lube before loading it into the magazine and have no issues when I do that. Down to my last six boxes of Tula which I bought before the ammo drought.
Rodder41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:17   #9

I'll add my two cents worth. I have only shot steel cased ammo through my Mini-14. This is mostly because of cost. As far as accuracy, it's just "range ammo", so I don't expect tack-driver performance, but on the 100 yd range, it's great.

If I were going for accuracy, I would probably go for brand-name, brass case ammo. Same for hunting. Pick a brass cased brand that has been sighted in with and stick with it.

I only shoot at the range, using steel cased (Russian) range ammo. I've used plenty of Tula, Brown Bear, Silver Bear but mostly Wolf now.
Out of the couple of thousand rounds, I've never had a problem with any of it, unless you call being "dirty" a problem.
Number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:43   #10
Banned

as long as I can find brass shell ammo I stay away from the steel case ones.
usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:50   #11

I had a Tula .223 primer pierce on me and poop in my face. I won't shoot it anymore.
Crowcifier666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 15:46   #12

Tula Ammo

My Mini shoot's Tula all day long never had a problem. It also eat's anything else I feed it, just gotta keep em clean.
Misfire51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:47   #13
(*.:.*)

Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
.. Will it possibly cause any extra wear and tear ...
Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo An Epic Torture Test

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/
Tactical Browncoat likes this.
cma g21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 16:40   #14

Originally Posted by cma g21 View Post
Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo An Epic Torture Test

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/
That is why I will never do 1000 rd+ ammo dumps.
Old 10-20-2013, 14:24   #15
Temp Banned!

I sold off all my remaining steel case 223 (at a handsome profit), and now only shoot brass/boxer. I don't miss the extra cleanup work.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 16:49   #16

Saw some Tula Brass recently at a local gun store .. boxer primed but only a hair cheaper than PMC, Federal..may buy a box and check it out.

Racist! - the standard cry of the leftist when losing an argument...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shootnpoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 00:14   #17

Another option is to reload

I still have about 500 Wolf rounds I bought when they were really cheap. I shoot them in my Mini and Kel-Tec at 3 gun shoots just to get rid of them.

However I also shoot brass cased ammo that I have reloaded. It will blow you away how much good quality Lake City brass people leave at the range.

I always come home with way more than I have shot and after a few trips like that it is not a problem to get 2-3000 cases backed up.

It takes some work to process the cases and load them up but if you spend a few bucks and buy the right kind of equipment it is down right enjoyable. I can load right at 400 rounds per hour once everything is set up and running.

Hot tip on reloading equipment. Buy the best,,, Only cry once.

An RCBS Rockchucker single stage press for doing case preparation, and a Dillon 550 B for loading.

I can load .223's for about .15 cents each. For .45 ACP and the like with my own cast boolits I can get that down to .04 cents a piece! IN fact anything I load with Cast Boolits is the cost of a primer and the powder or .04-.08 ea. For the .45's 1 lb. of powder yields about 1300 rounds.

Just another way to shoot cheaply.

Randy

I have been reloading since 1971
W.R.Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 22:24   #18

I haven't noticed any difference between steel or brass cased ammo so far. I shoot mostly Tula due to the price (just over $5/20 rounds) and it works perfectly fine in my mini.

Tula is boxer primed, so there aren't any firing pin concerns.

If you are OC like me about cleaning your weapon after going to the range, and Tula feeds normally for you, then there is no reason not to use it.
bohemond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 23:42   #19
Ronin

I shoot mostly all steel case ammo in my semi auto guns (Mini, AR, AK, and pistols). The claim that it wears extractors and breaks firing pins is irrelevant to me because of the offset of brass to steel ammo prices. Say you go through 1000rnds before a firing pin breaks...you spent half the money for the steel ammo and can afford to buy all the firing pins you will ever need. I have never had a firing pin or extractor break and have only had one case get stuck in my AR but that was the second shot ever put through it and hasn't had any since (~2000rnds). I also shoot Brown Bear and unlike some people claim, the lacquer finish does NOT heat up and gum up the internals or stick in the chamber. The only thing steel case ammo does do, besides being under powered in most cases, is make things dirtier. Like mentioned before it doesn't expand to form to the chamber like brass will and the gas blows back around the case into your chamber. Just keep things clean, buy cheap, and you can shoot more ammo more often
KingANuthin likes this.
bow42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 16:05   #20

They are junk.

Out of 50 rounds, I had two with primer blowouts. There's a ring of carbon forming a permanent eyebrow tattoo over my right eye now.

Out of 100 rounds, I've had 5 FTEs.
BangBangKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 19:37   #21

Last week end I shot the last of the 100 rounds of Tula I bought before the ammo crunch. I never had a fail to eject or fire with it. I can not attest to accuracy because I used it to sight in a new scope. Perhaps it is the reason the scope would not hold zero.

Anyway I'm done with it, I'll not buy anymore.
DDDWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:11   #22

I've shot a bunch of Tula, Wolf; have not had an issue. That being said, I've noticed a price creep in the Tula (at least here locally in GA) that has brought the price per round pretty close to the price of Remington brass-cased FMJ, maybe a penny or two more per round.
I'll be continuing to shoot the steel stuff (I'm invested) but as I restock (and as it's available) am putting my $ into brass (who knows, I may want to reload or pick em up for my friends who do)?