My little project - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 07:45   #26

Originally Posted by Goony View Post
very nice.... strut is looking superb.... what did you wind up capping it with?
I went digging into the tool box and found a nice, stainless 8mm allenhead to cap it. Looks way better than it use to for sure. Glad for the feedback that lead me on to it.
Cajun Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:50   #27

Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
How are your Gen II Tapco mags working out? I saw the metal strip on the top and just figured I have to ask?

Randy
They are working out great. I haven't had any issues with them thus far. I do find that some people have issues with them but I've never run into any hang ups. I will say they fit a bit snug, won't drop out when released, but not enough to drive me to put a file to the stock yet. Been keeping them loaded to see if the seams split, no issues after 6 months.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:36   #28

That rig has come a long way since you got it, nice work. That fishnet paint job is SICK!
Cajun Kamikaze likes this.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 15:37   #29

Originally Posted by Cajun Kamikaze View Post
I received a mini 14 186 series from my uncle, love the gun and didn't know much about them when I received it. I was pretty excited to learn I could build a nice tactical rifle with it and continue my indifference with the flow of the crowd by staying away from the AR platform for now.

The first thing I did was a DIY trigger job. It was my first and the double sear made it challenging but it came out better than I expect with absolutely 0 creep. On 5 pulls it ranges from 3.5 to 4lbs consistently with a very crisp and predictable release point. In my mind this is even more important that the poundage.

Second thing was to chop the barrel 1.25" and mock up the NcStar flash hider and brake combo to the new front sight pin placement. I also used some files to modify the front sight to give it a better shape and eliminate the giant paddle look. This made the profile and the usability of the sight much better. IT was just way too thick and looked funky. some florescent paint on the forward sight would really make it stand out but I've come to terms that my iron sights won't be usable with more modifications to come. I used a solid stainless pin to mount the sight which I made with a dirtbike spoke.

Third, I built a barrel strut that ties into my gas block. I used the aluminum cross bar from and extra set of Rethal handles bar from my dirtbike . It is aluminum and hollow so I filled it with silicone for additional harmonic dampening. I used some black, billet, aluminum hose clamps from Apex motorsports to mount the strut. IT came out great, very satisfied.

Fourth, I dropped the gun off at the smith last week to put an 11 degree target crown. Should be ready this week.

I built a knife for my father and in turn he purchased an ATI stock and holographic sight for me. The stock is together, sight installed and awaiting for the gun from the smith for installation. I did relocate the vertical forward grip I purchased, one with storage for extra batteries, further back but I don't have pics yet. I choose the vertical grip with storage since I won't have use of iron sites. I'll update soon, hopefully this weekend, when the gun is fully together, minus the Ultimak.

Lastly, I will install the Ultimak aluminum upper rail assembly but that will be in a few more weeks. I'm ready to play with my new toy, haven't shot it in 2 months.... here are pics I have to this point. I will post more soon.

I also purchased 2ea Gen2 30rd Tapco mags to add to the 2ea 30rd and 1ea 5rd Ruger mags I have.

Final step will be paint. Not exactly sure what I will do yet but I have some ideas.

started with this

That's classic "bubba gunsmithing" right there!
Carbine Dioxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:00   #30

IS that a good or a bad thing?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:26   #31

You built something right out of a Hollywood si-fi movie, looks like a great "Star Ship Troopers" gun., or Zombie ender, I'm loving the talent here!
Lock N load.....Carry on!
tri70 and Cajun Kamikaze like this.
Old 10-30-2013, 17:42   #32

Originally Posted by Cajun Kamikaze View Post
IS that a good or a bad thing?
It's good to me! You gave it personality and made it yours!
Lock and Load!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:49   #33

Awesome, Thanks! Looks good but I'm pretty tired of looking at it at this point. I still have yet to shoot the thing.

Based on my mods, think I can get 2" or 1.5" MOA?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:16   #34

Groups will depend on ammo, the better the ammo the better the groups. Handloads can do best for loads taylored to your set up.
Cajun Kamikaze likes this.