What we really need for the Mini 14/30 - Shooting Sports Forum


Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 23:39   #1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 29
What we really need for the Mini 14/30

Besides good firing pins.....

DECENT SIGHTS!

Front sight collar with protective wings, keep it looking stock, BUT, with an AR15 front sight assembly housed within.

Rear sight. Again, keeping stock appearance, but with the standard A2 rear sight aperture and adjustment knob. Rear sight base should be contoured to fit the lines of the receiver, unlike the other aftermarket sight. Ideally, a larger mounting screw should be utilized by enlarging/threading the current tiny screw hole.

Be absolutely prefect.

It seems the market is severely lacking in quality, and well thought out components for the Mini....At least very LIMITED. Also appears there's a lot of cheap junk out there.

Too bad....Just rambling thoughts.
lionhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 00:08   #2
Super Member
 
COBrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 2,542
I'm with you on the front sights. There are a couple of companies offering solutions using SKS/AK/Galil threaded posts, but you either have to get one that's machined with a muzzle brake or buy a "package" with a strut, front sight, and brake. Alaskan Armory was making a front sight base that utilized AR front posts, but the website is gone, and no one seems to be able to get ahold of the owner...

I've found the Tech-Sight rear sight to be a great swap for my Mini. Granted, you do have to use a tool of some sort to adjust the sight, but it is a vast improvement over the, well, caveman-designed Ruger part.
COBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:45   #3
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: near Spokane
Posts: 144
I would love a M16A2 style rear sight. The allen wrench rear sight on my 581 is a pain in the ass.
Pacific_division is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-03-2012, 08:03   #4
Full Member
 
51colt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Joaquin valley Ca
Posts: 354
I fitted a Milled M1 Carbine rear sight to my Mini14 ranch Rifle. I like it. I have Tech-Sights on my 1022 i am sure they would be good on the Mini as well. If i could put a AR type front sight on my Mini i would be all over it.
51
51colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:28   #5
Pass the Sauurup
 
flapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 143
This has been the only bone I have to pick with my mini. I would love to put some decent tritium sights on it but the only one available that would even fit the bill is XS and I'm not very impressed with the design. Frankly, the rear sights on ALL minis suck royally, they get the job done, but are far from what they should/could be.

Lionhart has it right on the way they should be.
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:32   #6
Full Member
 
Model06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by lionhart View Post
Besides good firing pins.....

DECENT SIGHTS!

Front sight collar with protective wings, keep it looking stock, BUT, with an AR15 front sight assembly housed within.

Rear sight. Again, keeping stock appearance, but with the standard A2 rear sight aperture and adjustment knob. Rear sight base should be contoured to fit the lines of the receiver, unlike the other aftermarket sight. Ideally, a larger mounting screw should be utilized by enlarging/threading the current tiny screw hole.

Be absolutely prefect.

It seems the market is severely lacking in quality, and well thought out components for the Mini....At least very LIMITED. Also appears there's a lot of cheap junk out there.

Too bad....Just rambling thoughts.
Good points here on the sights. My personal choice is Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories to replace the rear sights. For me the front post is ok though not ideal. I have a 58xx model. I plan to later put a scope on my Mini but want better iron sights if I have to remove the scope for any reason.
Model06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:45   #7
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 29
We shall see. Perhaps' this is something that I will work on. Something needs to get done about it. I am going to have some tool steel (Properly heat treated) firing pins made up first. These should be done in the next couple of months.

As far as the sights. Shouldn't really be all that difficult. Steel front sight collar, and a steel rear. Other than those two parts, and the retaining pin/rear sight screw, nothing else would be proprietary. Use existing off the shelf AR rear sight assembly/front sight assembly. Easy, peasy. I'm surprised that as long as the Mini has been out, nobody has offered anything like this.

What draws me to the current Mini Tactical is the clean appearance of it. I don't want to alter the looks, nor make it "TACTI-COOL" It's cool in it's own right.

Last edited by lionhart; 04-03-2012 at 19:08.
lionhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:49   #8
152
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 74
Nice,old rambling thoughts there....

What Ruger done,is half ass mods to the factory minis.

They jumped into 1911s and AR types....but they be makin mo money so.....

We have needed better less expensive mags for yrs,and a better than 7 dollar barrel,and those atrocious sights,uuuuggghhh...

yeah a rifle with M1a for real type sights,good solid 1 size barrel,premium barrel,Lothar,Douglas,some body,say around.60-.650,threaded ....
I am still trying to find some one to machine a receiver to the spec to put on the M1A sights...
152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 18:43   #9
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Natagua
Posts: 6,333
I'm ok with the front sights (580 and newer). The rear sight...well its frankly a piece of shxt. I'm thinking about the tech sight also, or maybe I'll just stick a nice optic on it.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 18:50   #10
Super Member
 
COBrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 2,542
Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
I'm ok with the front sights (580 and newer). The rear sight...well its frankly a piece of shxt. I'm thinking about the tech sight also, or maybe I'll just stick a nice optic on it.
I've never had an issue with the front ("winged") sight on the 580-581s, but I know that others have expressed a desire to swap with something else. I'd like tritium, but I don't really do any low-light shooting with the Mini...

My only b*tch about the Tech Sight is the 5/8 MOA adjustment. Really? They're machining their own parts. Why not have the external click adjustment "notches" spaced in such a way to give a 1/2 or 1/4 MOA adjustment? It's not a big deal -- I'm happy with my irons being within 5/8" of the bull at 100 yds (because I can't shoot that precisely without a bench, anyhow ), but it kind of threw me when I read the install/sight-in instructions.
COBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 18:52   #11
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 143
If you can produce better firing pins, you can count me in for a couple. Please keep us posted.
BugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 19:41   #12
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 29
Here's the deal on the firing pins. There are numerous (Read A LOT) of threads about pins breaking. Unfortunately the Glend Arms replacement that some are carrying have a bad rap too, and they are $30.00 a pop. I joined another forum recently because there was a current thread about making a better firing pin. An individual with over 20 years of experience as a machinist chimed in, and he's produced pins for a variety of firearms over the years. I contacted him, and I will be shipping him a complete Mini bolt later this month. I'm not sure exactly how many pins I'm going to have made. He told me that his will last a lifetime. I'm unaware of the cost. This is just preliminary. I WILL have some made. I just don't know how many.

No reason working on sights until I get some good pins. One could have the best sighting system on planet earth, but what good would it do you when (Not if) your factory pin goes tit's up?
lionhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 21:14   #13
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Natagua
Posts: 6,333
Originally Posted by lionhart View Post
Here's the deal on the firing pins. There are numerous (Read A LOT) of threads about pins breaking. Unfortunately the Glend Arms replacement that some are carrying have a bad rap too, and they are $30.00 a pop. I joined another forum recently because there was a current thread about making a better firing pin. An individual with over 20 years of experience as a machinist chimed in, and he's produced pins for a variety of firearms over the years. I contacted him, and I will be shipping him a complete Mini bolt later this month. I'm not sure exactly how many pins I'm going to have made. He told me that his will last a lifetime. I'm unaware of the cost. This is just preliminary. I WILL have some made. I just don't know how many.

No reason working on sights until I get some good pins. One could have the best sighting system on planet earth, but what good would it do you when (Not if) your factory pin goes tit's up?
Ive owned mini 14's for 30 yrs and Ive never had a firing pin break. Iv'e also been in the habit of not shooting junk ammo in them. Brass case/boxer primed = reliability. I don't see our military shooting russian steel case .223 in thier M-4's.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 21:45   #14
Full Member
 
scottybaccus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tejas
Posts: 184
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
Ive owned mini 14's for 30 yrs and Ive never had a firing pin break. Iv'e also been in the habit of not shooting junk ammo in them. Brass case/boxer primed = reliability. I don't see our military shooting russian steel case .223 in thier M-4's.
Exactly!
scottybaccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 22:09   #15
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
Ive owned mini 14's for 30 yrs and Ive never had a firing pin break. Iv'e also been in the habit of not shooting junk ammo in them. Brass case/boxer primed = reliability. I don't see our military shooting russian steel case .223 in thier M-4's.
I too owned one back in the 1980's. Let's take your opinion that shooting junk ammo is the cause of pins breaking........No, I don't buy it. I'll tell you why. An AK firing pin is almost identical to a Mini-14. Not exact, but close. AK's don't have issues with broken firing pins. I don't know if the Ruger one's are cast, or MIM, or just low quailty stainless, or the heat treat is off, but something is making them break. They have broken on GOOD American ammo just the same. Even if (Though it's proved otherwise) that foreign ammo was the culprit. What does that say to the quality of the component, whereas hearing about an AK47/AKM/AK74 pin breakage is almost non-existent?

There are numerous, countless threads on this forum on broken pins using American ammo. Had absolutely nothing to do with foreign made Wolf/Golden Tiger/Silver Bear/ETC.
lionhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:59   #16
Full Member
 
tri70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,484
OMG! The whole firing pin issue that the internet rants about on the mini drives me crazy! I have fired over 10,000 rnd thru my 196 mini and never broke a pin! Pin breaks don't happen that often, I have witnessed a couple of buddies with less than 500 rds on AR's with pin that break.

IS THAT WHY AR PARTS ARE SO READILY AVAILABLE BECAUSE EVERYTHING WILL BREAK???

The mini is solid steel design, no tupperware, no aluminum, all steel!

I have all 3 of my minis scoped but I thought the sites on my 6.8 shot well and easy to target aquire for a fast handling carbine field gun.
__________________
" If our greatest need had been pleasure, God would send an entertainer..... our greatest need was forgiveness, so God sent a Savior."
tri70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:23   #17
Full Member
 
KingANuthin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,118
Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
Ive owned mini 14's for 30 yrs and Ive never had a firing pin break. Iv'e also been in the habit of not shooting junk ammo in them. Brass case/boxer primed = reliability. I don't see our military shooting russian steel case .223 in thier M-4's.
of coarse you dont. They dont buy their ammo with their money, they buy it with yours. You pay for my ammo, and it will be top notch high dollar every round.
__________________
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." -George Washington
KingANuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:44   #18
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
OMG! The whole firing pin issue that the internet rants about on the mini drives me crazy! I have fired over 10,000 rnd thru my 196 mini and never broke a pin! Pin breaks don't happen that often, I have witnessed a couple of buddies with less than 500 rds on AR's with pin that break.

IS THAT WHY AR PARTS ARE SO READILY AVAILABLE BECAUSE EVERYTHING WILL BREAK???

The mini is solid steel design, no tupperware, no aluminum, all steel!

I have all 3 of my minis scoped but I thought the sites on my 6.8 shot well and easy to target aquire for a fast handling carbine field gun.
10,000 rounds just through one? What did a barrel replacement cost? Old Mini barrels are button rifled, and have a life span of around 7000 rds. Newer ones as we know are cold hammer forged, and can go upwards of 20,000+ rounds.

The rants drive drive me crazy as well.....Hence my decision to have some made. As it is, and from many reporting on this subject, and from the reply I received from Ruger, it has been an issue....Believe it or not. It seems though it has gotten more prevalent in the last 3-4 years. Perhaps' the method of manufacturing has changed?

Mine will be "Mil-Spec" quality. It will handle either American or foreign ammunition types. This is the way it should be.

As far as AR parts being available. This is a good thing. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to the Mini, whereas one must ship there rifle back to have a new pin fitted. Some other parts are restricted as well. There are no restricted parts on an AR. Order what you please.

As far as my thoughts on sights. Yes, it's a possibility that I will have these made.
lionhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:13   #19
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,017
It's not the point whether the pins break, it's the point you or I can get one and install it. I'm sure the reason Ruger is so difficult with these issues is becuase they were sued and lost some money. Put a chain on the legal system and maybe Ruger will change their attitude. When you play lawsuit lottery, there is usally a winner and a loser. But, it's guarenteed the only winners will be the lawyers. kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 13:26   #20
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 143
I agree 100%. I want a few to have on hand so if one does happen to break I can fix it without having to send it back to Ruger. They probably cost a quarter of what the shipping costs. Then I can blast away with cheap ammo without worry.
BugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
mini-14 opinions, mini-14 reliability, mini-14 review, mini-30, ruger mini-14, ruger mini-14 reliability, ruger mini-14 review, ruger mini-30

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:39.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All information is copyright by Perfectunion.com unless already under copyright.