Flash suppressor for Mini-30 to reduce muzzle jump? - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 13:38   #26

I just called Ruger customer service and they said the Mini-30 uses the 5/8-24 thread.
wahoowad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 22:29   #27

left pull from Mini-30?

wahoowad said:
Gun seems to jump left as much as it does up . Is that really happening or am I just making that up in my head?
Snuffy said:
...the rifle has a tendency to pull up and to the left ... A good muzzle brake will reduce muzzle flip during rapid fire - but it won't stop the "to the left" pull you are seeing shooting on the pod
Somebody please explain this pull to the left. It has nothing to do with the bipod, I guess? Maybe something to do with an off-balance weight of the cycling action? Maybe angular momentum equal-and-opposite reaction to getting the bullet spinning? Please explain. I haven't noticed this left pull when shooting. Anybody else notice it?
Bill_Rights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:14   #28

Originally Posted by KingANuthin View Post
Ive been thinking about the Bennie Cooley myself.
I just bought a Bennie Cooley today to install on my Mini-30 Tactical. I was undecided between the Smith Enterprises "Good Iron" #1002RR compensator and the JP Enterprises Bennie Cooley #JPTRE-324. Both appear to be highly regarded, have a reputation for reducing muzzle jump, fit the 5/8"-24 TPI threads and have an exit hole for the 7.62x39 bullet.

The deciding factor was that the Smith was completely unavailable for several more weeks, the Bennie Cooley was a little more available. The Smith comes with a locking nut, you have to order that extra for the Bennie Cooley.

Midway, Brownells, NoKick.com as well as direct from the vendors are avenues to get either.

The Bennie Cooley comes in several different outer diameters to best match the barrel. The Mini-30 Tactical has a 0.782 diameter barrel so I chose the JPTRE-324 model that has a 0.750" outer diameter. It will be a tad thinner than my barrel but the locking nut will help the transition. They also sell one 0.850" and that is an option as well.

I hope this helps folks looking to do the same. Pictures and more when I get it.

Old 03-20-2012, 23:20   #29
Odd Pachyderm thingy

Originally Posted by Bill_Rights View Post
wahoowad said:

Snuffy said:
Somebody please explain this pull to the left. It has nothing to do with the bipod, I guess? Maybe something to do with an off-balance weight of the cycling action? Maybe angular momentum equal-and-opposite reaction to getting the bullet spinning? Please explain. I haven't noticed this left pull when shooting. Anybody else notice it?
I'm telling you it's a technique thing -

I have a beat down Savage 110 .270 I bought used which came with a harris bipod on it. (first time I used a bipod)
after I sighted in the rifle off sandbags - I found I was shooting better from sitting or on sandbags off the bench (getting around MOA - 1"" at 100, 2" at 200.) than I was with the bipod. the rifle had a tendency to hop around like a grasshopper - usually high and left on recoil, but only from the pod.
an Old timer at the range corrected my technique... first I hand him him my gun, he lays down, and off the pod - he puts 5 rounds into a hole the size of a quarter at 200 yards (I was getting a group the size of a BIG grapefruit.)
so it was definitely me and not the gun. he showed me how to lean into and pre load the pod, and how to support the butt stock with my non shooting hand correctly.

a box of ammo later I was getting better than 1 MOA (2 inches) at 200 yards with a group about the size of a 50 cent piece.

so perhaps Wahoo's issue IS the gun... but my experience with pods (limited though it is) tells me Technique refinement might be the cheaper alternative to buying a brake.

Wahoo - you do much shooting off a bipod besides your mini 30?

with the pod, I figured plunk it down, line it up, and fire... and got crap accuracy. it took someone with some experience to show me the right way to do it with my particular rifle to get the best results.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:35   #30

Originally Posted by Mr. Snuffalupagus View Post
Wahoo - you do much shooting off a bipod besides your mini 30?
Yes. I do a bit of varmint shooting with various calibers and use a bipod in the field. That is why I also try to use the bipod at the range. The bipod generally does well, usually very well at a full shooting bench but I do get mixed results moving from the bench to shooting from the prone. My prone shooting technique could use some improvement. I'm still experimenting with preloading the bipod. I use a Harris bipod with the rubber feet but it still slides forward. when I put a little pressure from behind. I'll keep working at it.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:22   #31

Arrow

Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN WILLIAM View Post
l

Snuffy said:
I had my new-to-me 182 at the range Monday,trying to hit at 100 yd. I noticed the gun jumped significantly to the left so I had to pull my sight picture back to the right after every shot.
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 22:36   #32

Well, I'll be....

ADK_40GLKr says the left-pull is there and noticable.
I had my new-to-me 182 at the range Monday,trying to hit at 100 yd. I noticed the gun jumped significantly to the left so I had to pull my sight picture back to the right after every shot.
I guess three is a majority, against my one. I will look more closely.

Say, ADK_40GLKr, was this shooting off a bipod, off-hand, off bags or what?

Snuffy said:
with the bipod. the rifle had a tendency to hop around like a grasshopper - usually high and left on recoil, but only from the pod.
Two comments:
1) The bipod makes the left-jump more pronounced.
2) While thanking you for the generous detail and practical instruction, nothing said actually explains the origin of the left-pull, as opposed to, say, a right-pull. (We all know where the upward-pull comes from.)
Bill_Rights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:19   #33
Odd Pachyderm thingy

Well, I'll be....

ADK_40GLKr says the left-pull is there and noticable. I guess three is a majority, against my one. I will look more closely.

Snuffy said: Two comments:
1) The bipod makes the left-jump more pronounced.
2) While thanking you for the generous detail and practical instruction, nothing said actually explains the origin of the left-pull, as opposed to, say, a right-pull. (We all know where the upward-pull comes from.)
I don't know why it happens... it just does.
now what I'd really like to know is if a left handed shooter sees a horizontal pull... I wonder if it would favor the right? might help explain where it comes from.
it could be due to the impact on the shoulder during recoil, causing the body to torque to the right slightly and kick the butt to the right and the barrel to the left causing it to drift off target when the gun hops on a slack pod?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:27   #34

Well, I'll be....
It was sitting in my new "Winchester - Sharp Shooter Rifle Rest" from WalMart.

I'm pretty new to using any kind of rest, so can't speak with any authority on why it jumped left. I am right handed and was leaning against the butt to try to get a good sight picture. So could have caused the movement.
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote