SS Mini 30 189 series - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 09:44   #1

SS Mini 30 189 series

I'm new to the forum and trying to gather information. I have an older SS Mini 30 (189 series) that I inherited that is practically brand new. It came with the wood stock, but has the current mods. 1. Butler Creek folding stock, 2. Eagle flash hider and front HK sight (all one piece), 3. Eagle heat shroud. Since taking possession, I have added a Nikon Prostaff 2 x 7 x 32 mm scope, attached with the original Ruger one inch medium rings. I have recently purchased a couple of Ruger factory 20 round mags.

I would welcome any feedback and opinions of this set up and any changes to improve performance, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Don
Boxerpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:31   #2

Originally Posted by Boxerpapa View Post
I'm new to the forum and trying to gather information. I have an older SS Mini 30 (189 series) that I inherited that is practically brand new. It came with the wood stock, but has the current mods. 1. Butler Creek folding stock, 2. Eagle flash hider and front HK sight (all one piece), 3. Eagle heat shroud. Since taking possession, I have added a Nikon Prostaff 2 x 7 x 32 mm scope, attached with the original Ruger one inch medium rings. I have recently purchased a couple of Ruger factory 20 round mags.

I would welcome any feedback and opinions of this set up and any changes to improve performance, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Don
These older M30's are famous for shooting AK size groups, so they need a little help to shoot well. Shoot off the bench with your prefered ammo types for groups (You want before and after comparisons)

The first 2 things i would do: 1)Trigger job at gundoc 2) Send barreled reciever in for a cryo job. Shoot for groups. If satisfactory you can stop here. If you want to improve some more:

1) have your stock bedded
2) install a rail or strut (You don't need both)

If you are willing to spend up to $350 -$400 you can just send your rifle off to gundoc and have him do a complete gunsmithing package deal for you. Goto great west gunsmithing for details. Good luck.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 17:48   #3

I have a 189 series Mini30. haven't fired it in years. I don't remember any problems with it other than aftermarket mags. i have recently installed a Mo-Rod and will be sending the trigger to GunDoc. he did my M14 and the difference is night and day. I'll put in a 1911 buffer and then see how it does.
Byrdguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2012, 15:22   #4

Seeings how you're running a scope, how tight is the lockup of your folding stock? If it has any wiggle, in any direction, that will affect your accuracy. You may find that your groupings will be inconsistent with each other.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17   #5

William, thanks for the response. My Butler Creek Folder has zero wiggle room. I'm taking it to the range this week to sight in the scope. After I see how it groups, I'll have a better idea of what is needed next. I plan to send the trigger group to GunDoc for a trigger job.
While I want to improve it's accuracy, I'm not looking for a target gun. It's main purpose is to have fun with it and to be my main 'truck gun'.....just in case.....

Don
Old 03-20-2012, 07:57   #6

I installed this three way adjustable trigger in one of my Mini 30's and it's great. No comparison to the factory set up at all.
It comes with simple to follow and detailed instructions too.
MINI-14/30 ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER - Brownells
You can just make it out in this pic.

Last edited by MOUNTAIN WILLIAM; 03-20-2012 at 07:58. Reason: pic link
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:45   #7

Willaim,
Thanks for the help and I like the pic. You have a nice set up. Is your Mini 30 from the 189 series? Once I get it to the range, I'll have a better idea of which way I need to go. What is your opinion of the set up I currently have? Like I said before, I want to have fun with it, but also keep it in my truck. I think it will take care of any situations that may develop.
Don
Old 03-21-2012, 16:42   #8

all good tips posted here. I have that 189 series. check the muzzle crown if any doubt use a cone felt wheel on an arbor in a hand drill loaded with s/s compound to polish it and polish the bore while you're at it.
a trigger job helps a lot as does receiver bedding. for repeatiblity
- the HK front sight helps a lot IMO, I just added a Williams fine-adjust aperture rear sight does good
Old 03-21-2012, 17:16   #9

I want to thank everyone for the feedback and suggestions. Additional feedback and opinions are welcome. I think this set up will work well for intended purposes. I hope to get to the range this week and sight in the scope.