ATI or Tapco for Mini Thirty - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 12:28   #1
Registered Member

ATI or Tapco for Mini Thirty

Hello all,
I'm picking up my new Mini Thirty tomorrow and I was looking at replacing the the synthetic factory stock with either a ATI or Tapco. Or maybe if someone had a better suggestion I'd be open to it. The features I really like are the 6 position butt stock, the adjustable check pad, and the little bit of storage that the ATI provides. I don't really need a folding stock but as long as it doesnt have a negative effect on the gun then I'm ok with it.

Can a stabilizer rod be added if you run one of these stocks?

Thanks for insight and advice.
Bill
Areyouliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:35   #2
Odd Pachyderm thingy

Originally Posted by Areyouliving View Post
Hello all,
I'm picking up my new Mini Thirty tomorrow and I was looking at replacing the the synthetic factory stock with either a ATI or Tapco. Or maybe if someone had a better suggestion I'd be open to it. The features I really like are the 6 position butt stock, the adjustable check pad, and the little bit of storage that the ATI provides. I don't really need a folding stock but as long as it doesnt have a negative effect on the gun then I'm ok with it.

Bill
a barrel strut can be used with either.

however I say neither...

Had a Tapco, have handled a ATI... and I say:

you need a Promag sparta.

at this point - for an affordable polymer pistol grip stock for a ranch rifle, nothing else makes sense anymore.

full length top rail, provisions to add a lower rail, and if you are handy you could mount side rails on it too.
grip storage, better ergonomics than both the ATI and the Tapco, looks better than either too.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:36   #3

I don't know anything about either of those stocks, but I can tell you for sure that a barrel strut or stabilizer WILL work with both of them. Unfortunately that doesn't help you narrow it down...

EDIT: Looks like Snuffy and I wandered into this thread at the same time.
COBrien is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 12:44   #4
Registered Member

Thats a great looking stock! At $251, they sure are proud of it. Are you running one?
Areyouliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 19:45   #5
Odd Pachyderm thingy

Thats a great looking stock! At $251, they sure are proud of it. Are you running one?

that is the MSRP price and what promag will sell them direct for, they sell for much cheaper, in the 180 dollar-ish range if you can find someone that has one in stock.

I don't run one, I waited a year for the darned thing to come out (we all did)
it has received some rave reviews, and promag's attention to detail on the design of the stock was was admirable (I especially like the spring loaded gap filling plunger at the trigger guard, what a brilliant addition, wish my Troy MCS had that feature) I've chatted some with one of the guys that first handled and then revealed the stock prototype at the 2011 shot show. he liked the stock so much that it inspired him to get a mini!

and found out the model mini (185 series GB) I wanted to buy it for won't fit in it without either modifying the rifle (not desirable) or the top cover of the stock. It's designed for the ruger ranch rifle (if it has the ruger scope mounts on it it's a ranch rifle) it'll fit the mini 14, 30, and 6.8spc ranch rifles
they say they are developing a top cover to work with the older guns.

But... after a year of waiting I found a sweet deal on a Troy MCS. however if it had been compatible with the gun I have, I'd have put it into a sparta in a heartbeat

however I'm still on the fence about dropping my Mini 30 into a promag Sparta. just not sure i want to go with a pistol grip tactical stock on a rifle that is primarily for hunting. (the Troy stocked Mini 14 I have is my defensive rifle)
if I do go pistol grip for that gun - it will definitely be a sparta.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-09-2012, 02:15   #6

I have one. It's flippin awesome!

Best upgrade I've done yet. For me, it was all about the grip. This thing is really stiff and it opens up the world as far as optics go.
scottybaccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:54   #7
Wil

Well, I've never handled the Sparta, but I am a great believer in rigid metal/aluminum rails. The carbon ones flex too much, especially if you need a strong lower rail for a foregrip. Maybe Promag offers one but I didn't see it.

AYL, I have an ATI stock on my Ranch Mini30. I just thought it looked better than the Tapco. IMO, I thought all the horizontal milling channels on the Tapco stock were cheesy looking.

The ATI is really stiff and helped accuracy. As I have said before, the only drawbacks to the ATI is the weight and the fact you have to unscrew the top shroud cover to remove the rifle from the stock. Some folks have complained about the grip ergonomics, but it fits perfect for me. I have XL size hands, so maybe thats the reason, I dunno. Like you, I don't care about the folding feature, but the adjustable cheekpiece and stock and metal rail option were the deciding factors for me.

...and I highly recommend the Streamlight TLR-2 Light/Laser. Fantastic. What a night pig-killer combo. I usually run a Burris FastFire Red Dot on top but I had been popping coyotes the day before and hadn't switched over yet from the scope.

Wil

Last edited by Wil; 05-31-2012 at 04:42.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 15:59   #8
Banned

Hello all,

Bill
neither they are not very strong/ maybe a sparta but i dont know. I kept the original stock and just put an amega rail on it i think that looks the best plus it held up to three good thumps on a tree
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 21:45   #9

Maybe you should try out the factory stock on a few outings b-4 you decide to change it out. Personaly, I like it alot and I think its a big improvement over the old curved plastic buttplate stocks.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 22:16   #10

I replaced my old curved plastic buttplate with a curved steel one.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:03   #11
Odd Pachyderm thingy

Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
neither they are not very strong/ maybe a sparta but i dont know. I kept the original stock and just put an amega rail on it i think that looks the best plus it held up to three good thumps on a tree

dude, why is it that you keep touting the fact that you like to abuse your guns? and what did the tree do to you to deserve such treatment?

based on your penchant for attempting arborcide using a rifle - I'm seriously starting to think that you MOST DEFINITELY DID NOT serve in the US armed forces - or any other military force belonging to a civilized nation.
No trained individual that has passed basic marksmanship would think it was OK to intentionally whack a tree with his rifle. Nor would any Intelligent man choose that particular tool to perform that particular task...

which leads me to the next question - do you now or have you ever huffed glue, paint, gasoline, ether... or maybe that canned air for cleaning computer keyboards?

stop huffing the fumez dood!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-16-2012, 02:36   #12
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Snuffalupagus View Post
dude, why is it that you keep touting the fact that you like to abuse your guns? and what did the tree do to you to deserve such treatment?

based on your penchant for attempting arborcide using a rifle - I'm seriously starting to think that you MOST DEFINITELY DID NOT serve in the US armed forces - or any other military force belonging to a civilized nation.
No trained individual that has passed basic marksmanship would think it was OK to intentionally whack a tree with his rifle. Nor would any Intelligent man choose that particular tool to perform that particular task...

which leads me to the next question - do you now or have you ever huffed glue, paint, gasoline, ether... or maybe that canned air for cleaning computer keyboards?

stop huffing the fumez dood!
quite frankly snuffle i don't care what you believe. I also find it strange that you and few others keep trying to figure out more personal things about me. Whats next you gonna ask me where i live or my name. I got the right to say what i choose on here about firearms etc. and if i want to torture my guns thats my business not yours if you dont like reading it ignore me. Try growing up huh. lets talk about guns instead of me for fu*ks sake.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:48   #13

canned air does nothing.. just sayin'
KingANuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:02   #14

do any of these after-market stocks use the liner and fore-end sheet metal shielding?
it's got me to to thinking I gotta have one.
looks like the one Wil has does right good
Old 03-16-2012, 08:51   #15
Odd Pachyderm thingy

Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
quite frankly snuffle i don't care what you believe. I also find it strange that you and few others keep trying to figure out more personal things about me. Whats next you gonna ask me where i live or my name. I got the right to say what i choose on here about firearms etc. and if i want to torture my guns thats my business not yours if you dont like reading it ignore me. Try growing up huh. lets talk about guns instead of me for fu*ks sake.
Where do you live? and what is your name?
we know it's a place that is swampy... and has a bunch of dented trees,

I got it... Dagobah! and you are Yoda's inbred cousin, Choda!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-16-2012, 08:55   #16

Originally Posted by Marlin 45 carbine View Post
do any of these after-market stocks use the liner and fore-end sheet metal shielding?
it's got me to to thinking I gotta have one.
looks like the one Wil has does right good
I think some of them require the forend heat shield, but I'm pretty sure they don't require the mag well reinforcement...
COBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:00   #17
Odd Pachyderm thingy

Originally Posted by COBrien View Post
I think some of them require the forend heat shield, but I'm pretty sure they don't require the mag well reinforcement...

most, but not all use the forend heat shield.

I do know for sure that the tapco uses the reinforcement liner

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-16-2012, 09:26   #18

Not a big fan of either (I prefer more of the M1A look), but I'm glad these stocks are available. Makes the Mini a very flexible platform that can be switched out in another configuration with zero gunsmithing skills.
gorenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:45   #19

I have the ATI on my 183 mini, looks great, fits very tight and holding up well. It does have a heat shield under the front grip (comes with it), it does NOT require the mag well reinforcement.

I actually replaced my factory folder with the ATI. I'll be selling my folder (in great condition) soon to help fund my AR-15 I'm building. So if anyone's interested, let me know. I'll post a new thread when I'm ready to sell (gotta get pics and such), sorry to hijack this one a little.
Spamcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 15:18   #20
Banned

Originally Posted by gorenut View Post
Not a big fan of either (I prefer more of the M1A look), but I'm glad these stocks are available. Makes the Mini a very flexible platform that can be switched out in another configuration with zero gunsmithing skills.
true sells it to more people too so keeps the mini alive