Looking at a mini 30- accuracy, practicality, tuning questions. - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 19:21   #1

Looking at a mini 30- accuracy, practicality, tuning questions.

First post here, read back through a number of pages and tried a search, sorry if this has been covered before.

Looking at a mini 30 for my next project, have a number of questions re its practicality. I'm looking for a semi auto to use for informal target shooting and small to light medium hunting out to 200 yards. I have a few bolt guns, some bought, some built, that are exceptionally accurate.

For this project I'm looking for something that is just a little different, fun, and still within the realms of practical use/cost.

I looked at the SKS platform, bought a nice Yugo model that shot well. I do reload and worked up a very acurate load using 123gr Hndy sp. There was nothing wrong with the gun, it just wasn't what i was looking for.

The PSG, CETME and AK platforms don't really do it for me either. The Saiga has merit, not sold on it one way or another.

Not interested in an AR platform.

Looking at the mini 30 because I like the 7.62 round and its derivates.

Would like to see at least 2moa out to 200-300 yards.

Willing to re-barrel if needed, would look at the original 7.62x39 or the 6.8 SPC.

Is the mini 30 a realistic platform to build on? I've looked at ASI's site, is the accuracy gain worth the cost?

Trying not to be too vague, hopefully I've laid out what I'm looking for well enough.

Any information appreciated, Matt.

Last edited by mattri; 02-29-2012 at 19:39.
mattri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 19:36   #2

It should also be noted that I have absoutley no interest in a "tactical" or a "SHTF" rifle. I will also not be using bulk or milsurp ammo.

Really just looking for a resonably accurate semi auto to be shot mostly off the bench, a heavier barrel is by no means a hinderance.

Rifle will be scoped.

Can the mini 30 fill this roll?

Is a barrel swap necessary?

What is the process to swap a barrel? Are they pre-chambered like a Savage? Do they need to be installed/headspaced like a Rem 700?
Old 02-29-2012, 20:51   #3

the group size goal is probably not hard to achieve, but for hunting purpose.... watch out for the walking POI

Some said even the full bull barrel custom mini's can have this problem.
guncats is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012, 22:38   #4

Cryo will go a long way towards eliminating Walking POI or Stringing. 300 Below has a money back guarantee for what they charge to do the work, so it looks to me your only real risk to try it is the cost of postage. ~$15 to ship a Mini via Priority Mail.
myname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:33   #5

Good information thanks. How do minis respond to the common steps in improving accuracy in other rifles, bedding, trigger work etc? Can you float the barrel? In other posts I've read about series 580, 581 etc- are these year of manufacture designations? Is the cryo process used on the factory barrel? Thanks, Matt.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:40   #6

good questions, looking forward to learning from responses
wahoowad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:47   #7
Hidding in the bushes

Originally Posted by mattri View Post
It should also be noted that I have absoutley no interest in a "tactical" or a "SHTF" rifle. I will also not be using bulk or milsurp ammo.

Really just looking for a resonably accurate semi auto to be shot mostly off the bench, a heavier barrel is by no means a hinderance.

Rifle will be scoped.

Can the mini 30 fill this roll?

Is a barrel swap necessary?

What is the process to swap a barrel? Are they pre-chambered like a Savage? Do they need to be installed/headspaced like a Rem 700?
The only luck I have had is with the 182 series... Im a "Mini Nut" Love em an let people an friends talk all kinda smack an then I shut em up... I like the Weaver 302 scope base for this application.. I have acuired a 223/5.56 with an S&K scope mount thats awsome too. Im every bit of 1" at 100 when the barrel is cool....An 1 1/2 warmed up.. It seems to climb as it warms.. Ive seen all kinds of gas block issues that affected accuracy and love my AccuracySystems adjustable block I have 2 versions an both did wonders.. It took my pattern down by half at 100. I tune my reloads so while shooting at 250 yards Im more than confident to pop a Mule Deer in the neck/head.
Ive never done any stock work but my trigger has been polished to 3lb pull.
Just polished is all mine needed, An the truth is thats my favorite upgrade thats been done to mine

I love my 30 for the knock down but have stopped reloading the 7.62x39 so just Russian HP if I hunt with that. But the 1 in 10 twist for my 223 I have will stabilize a 62gr bullet just fine I can only get 60s for hunting an Barnes Tripple Shock are to long for my twists.. The newer versions have quicker twists that work well with the higher grain..

In conclusion Stainless Steel, Low round count, Always have extra firing pins, Accuracy Systems gas block/Bushings, Buffers, NO SIDE HUNG SCOPE MOUNTS! Only rear sight replacements scope mounts or Ranch Rifle if ya have to...

You will have more than enough fun but that 6.8 is a nice round from the specs Ive seen. Still havent shot any but daydream about them often..

An if ya dont like it Ill buy it from ya LOL
poppopdingding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:56   #8

Thanks for the reply.

From what I've been able to tell so far barrels need to be chambered and headspaced by a gunsmith, is this correct? Is there anyway to headspace/index the barrel yourself?

What are the going rates for the 30s? I may have a line on a ranch rifle in 7.62x39 that is appr 6 years old, supposedly in very good condition.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:05   #9

What are the going rates for the 30s? I may have a line on a ranch rifle in 7.62x39 that is appr 6 years old, supposedly in very good condition.
FYI - I just bought a new Mini-30 Tactical online from Bud's for $687 w/free shipping to my FFL. Cheapest I could find it anywhere.
wahoowad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 14:53   #10

Originally Posted by wahoowad View Post
FYI - I just bought a new Mini-30 Tactical online from Bud's for $687 w/free shipping to my FFL. Cheapest I could find it anywhere.
Yup..
few weeks ago cheaper than dirt had some for 650ish but they charge shipping. Then they ran out, and got new stock in and raised the price over Buds. Buds went up a wopping 7 dollars since about 6 months ago..
I got a feeling these things are going to start trending up in prices across the board.
Old 03-01-2012, 15:44   #11

Wow- what do they bring to the table accuracy wise over a Saiga, CETME etc?
Old 03-01-2012, 15:58   #12

I have a 196 series, glassbed it myself, had the barrel frozen and a trigger job done. With my handloads, I can get 1 1/2 groups consistently and half the time, 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Good factory ammo pretty well stays at 1.5 also, its a great deer gun for me.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 20:36   #13

The saiga I used to own probably had the biggest groups I ever fired out of a centerfire rifle, other than the early 189 mini 30 I once owned. I could drag that thing through the mud and it would still shoot, but it was hard to hit anything.
It sounds like you would be a good canidate to buy an M1-A. After you spend your $1500 to $2000 you shouldn't need to put another penny into accurizing it. You could spend alot of money buying a Mini 30 then getting heavy barrels and other accuracy work done, and it will still not be as good as an M1-A.
Don't get me wrong, I love my 580 taper barrel Mini 30, but I'm not going to put $1500 into it so I can consistantly shoot nickel size groups at 100 yds. with it.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 21:01   #14

the 189 series M30 I own needed some tweaking from end to end includeing bedding gas block, bore and muzzle crown polish.
shimmed the stock/receiver/trigger group then worked up some good handloads and bought some Lapua and Sako ammo.I've managed moa @100yds a few lucky days
Old 03-04-2012, 14:36   #15
Banned

mini 30 tactical rocks just got mine last month ordered 15 20 round mags and 3 5 rounders and 2000 rounds of brass case boxer primed to keep it happy and runnin smooth (i did 40 + hours reading on it reviews pros and joes alike me before deciding) i got a mod rod commin dont know if i need it or not im sure it will definatly help with heat as far as groups this is my first mini a 581 series came from factory jan 17 (i got to pick between 3 serial #s Anyway i put 400 rounds cheap brass stuff through it at 150 yards (irons) and keepin them in a soft ball size circle thats pretty much right straight untill i had to fill some of the mags back up. first 50 75 rounds had a few failures to cycle then she ran like a brick ****house. ive read they need breakin in and i intend to do so as soon as snow lets up as well as the cold weather. to heck with the ars (except rugers) lol JK i love this mini
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 18:05   #16

Thanks for all the good replies.

Looking at rebarreling to a heavy varmint contour in 6.5 Gredel.

ASI does this. who else? Does gundoc? I don't doubt the quality of ASI's work, just looking to see who else smiths on the mini platform.
Old 03-04-2012, 18:18   #17

since you brought up the cetme which is in 308....The Saiga 308 is quite accurate, 2~3moa is common. Mine can do 3moa with even ROF mil-surps.

I have yet to see one x39 Saiga that shoots sub 5moa.
guncats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 19:51   #18
Registered Member

Had my Dads 223 done by Accuracy Systems, bedding trigger Stabilizer Package cut to 16.5 with Linear Comp. Wow MOA with PMC 55gr FMJ couple at 1/2"
ckb2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33   #19
Banned

is there a place you can get a short fat barrel installed on m14/30 with a flash hider to make it similar to the new m30's. I got two new M30's but i see old mini 14/30 for sale around dirt cheap and thinkin about getting one
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote