Mini-30 Tactical front sight - is it a blade or a post style? - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 14:45   #1

Mini-30 Tactical front sight - is it a blade or a post style?

Ruger's website calls it a "post front sight" but then they show an image of a stainless barrel with a thick blade or ramp style front sight. Maybe this is the same thing but I think of them as different. I can't find a picture of the front sight post that comes with the Tactical version.

Someone mind linking me to a good picture? I'm in a small town and nobody has one in stock to show me
wahoowad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 16:07   #2
Odd Pachyderm thingy

Originally Posted by wahoowad View Post
Ruger's website calls it a "post front sight" but then they show an image of a stainless barrel with a thick blade or ramp style front sight. Maybe this is the same thing but I think of them as different. I can't find a picture of the front sight post that comes with the Tactical version.

Someone mind linking me to a good picture? I'm in a small town and nobody has one in stock to show me
it's a winged blade.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 16:41   #3
Suck it Leftists!

It's ugly, it hides a 2" circle at 50-75 yards, but if you try to take it off, it will be like takin' the panties off your first girlfriend. If you return to Ruger for repairs with the panties off, repeat process, but this time like an ex-wife.
GAMEOVER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2012, 17:38   #4
absit iniuria verbis

I tend to look for the "winged blade" front sight, which I call the "Barleycorn" front-sight when I look at Mini-14s to denote their era of manufacture. This sight to me is a throwback to all garand-action rifles, and makes me even more proud to own a Mini-14.
All 580's and up (except for Target models)have this front sight from the factory, and coincidently all of these rifles are of the post-retooling production line, therefore inherently more accurate. I am a fan of this, and thus probably quite unfairly slightly disregard the older models.
I'd check with Ruger before purchase, just to make sure....

Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
It's ugly, it hides a 2" circle at 50-75 yards.....
If you want to hit the circle, and you have to hide the circle with your front sight to hit it, your front sight is sighted too low for your preference. Adjust your sights from "cover/hold" to "pumpkin on a post" and see if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Mini-30 Tactical front sight - is it a blade or a post style?-sightpicture.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 18:11   #5
Suck it Leftists!

Capt. Thanks for the tip and the illustration is valid and on target for many open sights at 50 - 75 yards but the front post still hides a 2" circle at 50 - 75 yards depending on your eye sight . I prefer to halo the circle with a circle. Square pegs in round holes do not work for me especially pre-alignment using laser sighting. The press fit Ruger front sight was obviously not meant to be removed and is durable as hell. I may even go back to it one day if I can find some dry ice to shrink the barrel and drive it back on!
Old 02-28-2012, 19:59   #6

Darn, I was hoping it had a post sight like an AR15. Wide blades are not my style. I will investigate removing it. Is the flash suppresor threaded? Gunstore guy did not know.
Old 02-28-2012, 20:03   #7

Heres an easy way to get the front sight off. Get a cheap Styrofoam 6 pack ice chest. Make a hole in the side 3 or 4 inches off the floor just big enough to get the barrel and front sight into. Put in some dry ice and let her freeze over night. Get a small propane torch and start heating around the front sight and tap it off with a block of hard wood and a small hammer. They come off real easy.

Putting them back on do the same. I will either heat the front sight with the torch or put it in a 300* oven for twenty minutes or so and push it on with gloved hand. Nothing hard about it.
Old 02-28-2012, 20:08   #8

Darn, I was hoping it had a post sight like an AR15. Wide blades are not my style. I will investigate removing it. Is the flash suppresor threaded? Gunstore guy did not know.
Yes factory flash suppressors are threaded and theres a post on here somewhere with the size of the torx bit to get it off.
Old 02-28-2012, 20:24   #9
Suck it Leftists!

Jeff F - Great description on how to remove and almost identical to the method I used. I soaked it with penetrating fluid before all of the steps you prescribed and used a heat gun instead of a torch. I have never tried to reverse the process because I thought it would take too long to line up the post using my normal method of laser bore. How did you align your front sight?

Wahoo -If you want the best post sight check out the Mo-Reaper. Best combination sight/muzzle brake out there (my opinion).
Old 02-28-2012, 20:32   #10

Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
Jeff F - Great description on how to remove and almost identical to the method I used. I soaked it with penetrating fluid before all of the steps you prescribed and used a heat gun instead of a torch. I have never tried to reverse the process because I thought it would take too long to line up the post using my normal method of laser bore. How did you align your front sight?

Wahoo -If you want the best post sight check out the Mo-Reaper. Best combination sight/muzzle brake out there (my opinion).
i believe the front sight will automatically be aligned when you line up the holes and put the pin back in.
I would love to try the mo reaper but they dont make them for the mini 30 tactical. It's barrel doesnt tapper like the rest of the mini's.
Old 02-28-2012, 20:40   #11

Originally Posted by KingANuthin View Post
I would love to try the mo reaper but they dont make them for the mini 30 tactical. It's barrel doesnt tapper like the rest of the mini's.
Whaaaaa? Dang it, I just spent 15 minutes searching for pics and decided I had to have one! I'm getting a Mini-30 Tactical though...!?!??!?!?!
Old 03-14-2012, 12:17   #12
Banned

Whaaaaa? Dang it, I just spent 15 minutes searching for pics and decided I had to have one! I'm getting a Mini-30 Tactical though...!?!??!?!?!
if you get a 581 tac you will love it its very accurate
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote