Thinking about a Mini 30 - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 19:36   #26

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
Mr. Snuffalupagus is right on.
5 minutes with a bore snake and a spray can of carburator cleaner will fix that corrosive primer problem for the short term. I would not wait a year between a good cleaning but I won't run straight home and throw the rifle in the bathtub.

Use common sense. If you suspect you have shot the corrosive primers, spray out the barrel and then run the bore snake through it a couple of times. I suggest that anyway even if you are NOT shooting corrosive ammo. kwg
I wouldn't use carburator cleaner (at least in the US), it will have a chemical reaction with gun blueing and the finish on wood stocks. Brake cleaner, YES, Carb cleaner, NO.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 19:42   #27

I won't use either around wood (It'll strip finish in seconds) but I have found the brake cleaner to be more harsh than the carburator cleaner. I get the cheap Walmart stuff and have found it works well. I have never had a problem with the blueing. kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 21:11   #28

if you are the kind of guy that likes to put his guns away dirty, and cleans them once a year then it's problem. if you are the kind of guy that strips and cleans his guns after every range outing or hunting trip then it'll be fine,
Kinda "gal" baby, Kinda "gal".
Lisa1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 11:44   #29
Odd Pachyderm thingy

Originally Posted by Lisa1911 View Post
Kinda "gal" baby, Kinda "gal".

yeah... I caught that after I made the post.

my apologies for labeling you with the wrong naughty bits, miss.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 23:49   #30

Originally Posted by Mr. Snuffalupagus View Post
yeah... I caught that after I made the post.

my apologies for labeling you with the wrong naughty bits, miss.
Is it Chastity or is it Chaz?
Old 09-04-2011, 13:42   #31
Elmer R

I bought a Mini-30 as soon as they came out back in the late 80's, for the express purpose of being able to use the cheaper Com-Bloc ammo that began entering the U.S. about then, and so that I could have a deer rifle with the same nice handling qualities of a Mini-14..
Since then I have fired crates of Chinese and East German steel-cased, and Yugoslavian brass-cased, berdan primed ammo with no problem other than somewhat frequent FAILURES TO FIRE, about one out of ten shots on average.
Examination of the round will almost always reveal a shallower-than-usual dent in the primer. Usually, given a second chance, the round would go off.
For comparison purposes I also tried the same ammo in an SKS. Only very rarely would it fail to ignite in that rifle. An examination of expended bullets revealed much deeper grooves in the SKS fired bullets over those from the Mini-30.
American made brass cased, boxer primed ammo gives me very good reliability with the Mini-30. Although its accuracy isn't fantastic, it is a very handy deer rifle for our relatively short Michigan brush-hunting.
After firing the Com-Bloc ammo with its corrosive primer I always clean up with surplus U.S. military bore cleaner issued back when WE used corrosive priming in some military ammo (pre-1950). Incidentally this old stuff works good but smells HORRIBLE.
As far as I am concerned a Ruger 10-22 and the Mini-30 are all the rifles a person would need in this world.
Elmerobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 17:40   #32

shot my 196x mini-30 this afternoon for the first time in 5 years.... I installed a new Nikon 1-4x scope on it so might as well sight it in.

No problem firing Yugo ammo, but Tolammo had 30% misfire rate.

same group size as before, 4~6moA 10-shot. I have recently installed a 0.060" bushing but it didn't seem to make any difference in group size.

Mean while my Saiga 308 (in stock configuration) shot 1.5~3moA 5-shot with all ammo including Tulammo, ain't bad for an Ak.
guncats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 17:43   #33

Originally Posted by Elmerobinson View Post
I bought a Mini-30 as soon as they came out back in the late 80's, for the express purpose of being able to use the cheaper Com-Bloc ammo that began entering the U.S. about then, and so that I could have a deer rifle with the same nice handling qualities of a Mini-14..
Since then I have fired crates of Chinese and East German steel-cased, and Yugoslavian brass-cased, berdan primed ammo with no problem other than somewhat frequent FAILURES TO FIRE, about one out of ten shots on average.
Examination of the round will almost always reveal a shallower-than-usual dent in the primer. Usually, given a second chance, the round would go off.
For comparison purposes I also tried the same ammo in an SKS. Only very rarely would it fail to ignite in that rifle. An examination of expended bullets revealed much deeper grooves in the SKS fired bullets over those from the Mini-30.
American made brass cased, boxer primed ammo gives me very good reliability with the Mini-30. Although its accuracy isn't fantastic, it is a very handy deer rifle for our relatively short Michigan brush-hunting.
After firing the Com-Bloc ammo with its corrosive primer I always clean up with surplus U.S. military bore cleaner issued back when WE used corrosive priming in some military ammo (pre-1950). Incidentally this old stuff works good but smells HORRIBLE.
As far as I am concerned a Ruger 10-22 and the Mini-30 are all the rifles a person would need in this world.
Sorry, but a 10% failure rate is a Huge problem as far as I'm concerned. I'm mean, really, one out of ten fails to go Bang and that's acceptable? WOW, the more I read about the Mini-30 on this forum the more it think it is, well a POS. Your guys must really luv your Mini's to have all these failures and CS service issues yet still think
the Mini-30 are all the rifles a person would need in this world.
Old 09-06-2011, 18:24   #34
Odd Pachyderm thingy

it is a well known fact that most mini 30s perform poorly with cheap berdan primed ammo. period

if you feed it the good stuff it will run brilliantly. if you feed it cheap crap ammo with comblock military primers meant for machine guns? you take your chances on FTF and (possible) broken firing pins in this civilian sporting rifle.

in My 581 series 30 - wolf will give me a 25% failure rate.
but... Silver bear has functioned 100% (which is a pretty cheap ammo by the way and IS berdan primed), Federal functions 100%, Winchester white box functions 100%, and Remington functions 100%

so no, the mini 30 isn't a POS if you don't put wolf, tulammo, etc. in it.

you want to shoot tons of crap x39 ammo at the range? buy an sks or AK...

you want a good american made bush gun for feral hog, or deer or two legged varmints but don't want the gun grabbers to freak out cause it looks "scary" - buy a Mini 30 - you won't be disappointed

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 09-06-2011, 19:41   #35

so no, the mini 30 isn't a POS if you don't put wolf, tulammo, etc. in it.

you want to shoot tons of crap x39 ammo at the range? buy an sks or AK.
OK, let me get this straight. The Mini-30 is very reliable as long as I shoot ammo that it likes? The sks/AK is very reliable with any ammo? The sks/AK looks scary and offends people. The Mini looks cool and is less offensive to others, these same people? What people are we talking about? Fellow shooters at the range or the average Joe off the street?
I have to tell you guys, if I purchase a firearm and some ammo(any ammo) from my dealer and I get a 10%+ failure rate the gun is going back. My husband and I would call that a POS.
Old 09-06-2011, 20:26   #36

The sks/AK is very reliable with any ammo?
In my opinion, no. At least with the SKS. If you shoot commie, berdan primed ammo, they work great. If you shoot better quality US made ammo, you may end up with popped primers and a face full of hot gas, or worse, slam fires, where the whole magazine cycles through on a single trigger pull.

The soft primers used on US made ammo are intended for rifles such as the Mini-30. The commie guns need commie ammo. Follow these basic rules and your 7.62x39 firearms will serve you well.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 21:21   #37

OK, let me get this straight. The Mini-30 is very reliable as long as I shoot ammo that it likes? The sks/AK is very reliable with any ammo? The sks/AK looks scary and offends people. The Mini looks cool and is less offensive to others, these same people? What people are we talking about? Fellow shooters at the range or the average Joe off the street?
I have to tell you guys, if I purchase a firearm and some ammo(any ammo) from my dealer and I get a 10%+ failure rate the gun is going back. My husband and I would call that a POS.
I guess what it boils down to is this, if you want the 7.62 x 39 rifle as a cheap highpower plinker that doubles for a homestead defender, get an AK/SKS. If you want a sleek lighter weight hunting/target rifle that can double as homestead defender then the Mini-30 is a better choice.

The AK/SKS's in general were designed as fighting weapons, and optics were not a serious consideration for their end use. I have yet to see an SKS scope mounting system that is not an afterthought, and can hold its aimpoint for more than one shooting session. Some AK's did come with a quik detach system built into the reciever, but they are few and far between. An SKS or AK with scope mounts and scope are going to get you close to 10 lbs. of weight to carry around, about 1.5 lbs. heavier than the mini-30.

So yes, the mini 30 has its place, the built in solid scope attachment points on the reciever are a godsend for the hunter, but don't expect it to be an AK or SKS.

The mini 30 can shoot cheap ammo, but you must feed it what it wants. As stated several times in this thread, plink with Yugo surplus and silver bear. The silver bear softpoints give me good repeatable power,dependability and accuracy. for about $5.00/box of twenty (Purchased in bulk quantities), I could live with just this one source of ammo and be happy.
Old 09-07-2011, 14:53   #38

wmass: Understand the postponing. Also understand you don't want an AK. However, you owe it to your self to check out the Saigas for $370 at Unadvertised Specials (about half way don the page). I'm talking about the ones with a regular rifle stock. Compare the look, feel, price, ect to a Mini 30 or any other platform. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Mini (I own A Mini 14 that I would'nt trade or sell) If you are going to make a decision later it's pobably better to look at everything available. -AimHigh
aimhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 18:01   #39
Odd Pachyderm thingy

Originally Posted by aimhigh View Post
wmass: Understand the postponing. Also understand you don't want an AK. However, you owe it to your self to check out the Saigas for $370 at Unadvertised Specials (about half way don the page). I'm talking about the ones with a regular rifle stock. Compare the look, feel, price, ect to a Mini 30 or any other platform. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Mini (I own A Mini 14 that I would'nt trade or sell) If you are going to make a decision later it's pobably better to look at everything available. -AimHigh
you know... I keep forgetting about the saiga sporter.

yeah - it's an AK at heart but it doesn't look like a people killer - and IIRC they are optics friendly

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 09-07-2011, 18:14   #40
Odd Pachyderm thingy

the wackos in office making senseless laws... or worse - the 12 people sitting in the jury box at your trial if (heaven forbid) you had to defend yourself with your rifle.

AK, AR, any milsurp/Milspec weapons have been repeatedly vilified by the prosecution in court cases and the owners made out to look like blood thirsty monsters with an "assault" rifle which the sole purpose of... is to kill humans in combat in an efficient and rapid manner.

whereas to a jury... a sporting rifle with no military pedigree, without an evil pistol grip, carry handle, or folding stock or high cap magazine is a harmless deerslayer you pressed into service to protect life and limb of your family...

of course it makes no sense since the Ak and Mini 30 share the same 7.62x39mm cartridge, but the Mini just looks like a sporting gun - the AK looks like an evil people killer. it's all about perception.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 09-09-2011, 11:52   #41

Aimhigh, thanks for the link! I have seen the saigas but I dont know if they are Mass compliant. I know the shotguns are but the prices are soaring. Next month is a local gun show. I'm gonna pick up and fondle what I can. I'm entirely opposed to the AK I'm just not willing to pay more than a fair price for one. PTR is still at the top of my list but I can't keep a way from the mini for too long. It comes down to what feels better. Optics: don't care, High cap: a must, Reliability: #1 priority.
wmass762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 23:55   #42

Originally Posted by wmass762 View Post
Aimhigh, thanks for the link! I have seen the saigas but I dont know if they are Mass compliant. I know the shotguns are but the prices are soaring. Next month is a local gun show. I'm gonna pick up and fondle what I can. I'm entirely opposed to the AK I'm just not willing to pay more than a fair price for one. PTR is still at the top of my list but I can't keep a way from the mini for too long. It comes down to what feels better. Optics: don't care, High cap: a must, Reliability: #1 priority.
If reliability is your #1 priority, and you like the mini platform, go for a standard mini 14 (.223/5.56). They are known for excellant long term function and reliability when treated decently. You will probably want to get one in stainless if it gets humid wher you live. Get one with a wood stock if you are concerned about what a jury might think about you in the future. Also,prosecuters look down on non factory modifications to firearms (especially lightened trigger pulls), so keep mods to a minimum, especially if it makes the rifle look more "evil". A scope would definately make a mini look more "sporting", an aimpoint or eotech, not so much. Good luck in Mass., We also have P.C. gun laws in California, so AK's and AR's are not even an option for me. Best wishes.
Old 09-11-2011, 17:17   #43

Thanks 40nascar. I have a 182 series stainless Mini 14 that runs flawlessly. That's what prompted me to consider the 30.
wmass762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 21:26   #44

Originally Posted by wmass762 View Post
Thanks 40nascar. I have a 182 series stainless Mini 14 that runs flawlessly. That's what prompted me to consider the 30.
Then by all means go for the 30! I've played with an x39 saiga in the past. Not impressed with its ergonomics or accuracy, also many parts don't interchange with standard AK's. If you are willing to live with the '30s finicky ammo diet, I think you will be happy. I am.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:30   #45

Welcome to the wonderful, arbitrary world of firearms.

Folks complain all the time that their $1000 plus ARs won't shoot cheap steel-case ammo. Well, get over it. That doesn't make their rifle a POS. ARs are not designed for steel cased stuff (yes I know many ARs will run with it).

Many quality firearms (including pistols) won't run with steel ammo. Kalashnikovs and SKSs will because they are DESIGNED for it. Get a Saiga and you can shoot ANYTHING through it at half the cost of a Mini-30.

This is not complicated. If you like the Mini-30 (I do) pay the price for better ammo like Winchester White Box (Walmart), Fiocchi brass-cased stuff, etc. Boxer-primed brass cases are easy to reload and can be re-used several times. Accuracy will be substantially better, to boot.

M
m1key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:34   #46

I have a 196 series, had a trigger job done and glassbed it myself. With my reloads, it will shoot 1-1 1/2 groups no problem. Factory ammo, it likes federal and gray box winchester, consistent 1 1/2 inch groups. Its a darn good deer gun.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote