Getting Mini 30 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 15:06   #1

Getting Mini 30

Last week I bid on and won at Gunbrocker a Mini 30, I have Russian ammo but the Mini won't see it. I have 1100 brass cases and bullets in .308 and .310 whichI intend to load for the Mini only. the .308 are 147 gr and the .310 are 123 gr. I also already ordered 4 Ruger 20 rd mags (getting more later) a Choate Flash suppresor, Choate handguard. I also have a M1 Carbine rear sight (Never like the flip-up sight) and a Weaver side mount for the scope, which I'm getting tomorrow (Bushnell Banner 3X9X40). I should be getting the Mini next week some time and then it's off to the range.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting Mini 30-pix130608878.jpg   Getting Mini 30-pix728950946.jpg  
Old 08-10-2011, 16:02   #2

Weaver side mount for the scope,
Why a "side mount"? What series is your new Mini?
mseric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 15:32   #3

I have the same set up, M1 rear sight, Choate 3 prong front sight, etc. I carry mine open sights but for deer season, do put on a 3x9 on a rail for it. The scope will clear the M1 sight but barely, depends on what type/brand/size of scope you have. Think you'll really like it. Mines a 196 series, I glassbed it and had a trigger job done which really helped on accuracy.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 21:32   #4

147 grains is a little heavy for this round. As a compromise between expansion and penetration for hunting our dog size deer around here, I'm loading up hornandy 30 cal (.308) 130 gr sp's (#3020). You may want to go up a notch or two up on the quality of the scope (Bushnell scopechief's, XLT's or 3200's are good for the money)

Iv'e had bad luck with steel case russian & chinese ammo. (FTF's almost every time). Do yourself and your 30 a favor by sticking to brass case ammo. Yugo surplus is good quality (But corrosive) inexpensive plinker ammo that goes bang every pull of the trigger. Field strip and scrub the bore and gas system with glass cleaner (ammonia dissolves the corrosive compounds). I have had good luck with silver bear softpoint ammo. S & B, PMC, Winchester make good brass case, boxer, reloadable ammo. If you treat your mini 30 correctly and feed it what it likes, you should get a lifetime of enjoyment from it. If you are expecting it to take the cheapest crap AK, SKS ammo, then you will be disappointed. I would advise against getting an extra power hammer spring installed, which a number of people on this forum do. It will substaintially shorten the life of your firing pin, and your mini will have to be sent in to ruger for repair. Good luck.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:17   #5

Do you have to take the side mount off when you want to take out the bolt?
guncats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 14:42   #6

Originally Posted by guncats View Post
Do you have to take the side mount off when you want to take out the bolt?
No I can keep it on with no problem, I have a B-Square On my Mini 14, but I'm switching to Weaver sidemount for the 30, B-square QC is going to crap.
Old 08-14-2011, 14:44   #7

Originally Posted by mseric View Post
Why a "side mount"? What series is your new Mini?
I can use the iron sights at the same time, and if I need to remove the mount for a reason, it will re-zero if you set it up right the first time when I reinstall it.