Mini 30 Tactical bolt wear? Ruger Quality? - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 11:12   #1

Mini 30 Tactical bolt wear? Ruger Quality?

Hey all, new member here. I searched around for awhile, but didn't see any info on this. I just just bought a new Mini 30 tactical. I shot 100 rounds thru it the other day at the range and when I disassembled it to clean I noticed an odd wear mark on the bolt. A coworker bought the same gun about the same time I did and has the same wear on his.
Were the bolt strikes the hammer when the action cycles, it is clearly peened over, leaving a bur. Has anybody else seen this? Possible improper heat treating?
Not to mention the fit and finish of this $700 rifle. This bolt looks like it was made by some guy in a home workshop with a file and hacksaw.
I am concerned what this bolt will look like after another few hundred rounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Mini 30 Tactical bolt wear? Ruger Quality?-picture-003.jpg  
Old 07-09-2011, 11:28   #2

You have the issue documented with pictures. Shoot a couple of hundred more rounds and compare the results. This may be an issue for the factory if it continues. It's really early in the process and some wear patterns are going to emerge as the blue wears off. kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:24   #3

I have a Mini-30 Tactical with 700 rounds through it. The bolt is not peened like that. I'd send it in now rather than letting it bang away under 40,000 cup of pressure next to my face to see how it looks after another hundred rounds. That wear looks abnormal.
MISTER Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 12:59   #4

I agree contact Ruger and send the gun back. It a little wear on the bolt is normal after shooting the first 500 rounds or so, happened on my SS Ranch, but that is unacceptable.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 19:39   #5

Thanks for the feedback. I understand how a gun needs to "break in" but thats not the kind of wear I like to see.
Monday I'll email Ruger and see what they say.
On a positive note, the mini worked well with no failures, averaging roughly 3 inches @ a 100. Overall, besides the bolt, I like the mini.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:12   #6

I think some parts will need to wear in a little, if it is not causing problems for the gun, I'd keep shooting. I have 3 mini's and have polished the bolt wear areas for smoother cycling.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:33   #7

I'm a new member with a new Mini 30 Tactical. I took mine apart to see if my bolt looked the same and it does. Since it is in the back of the bolt, I doubt it will cause any problems. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture, I held it under a lamp to get the peened section to reflect against the black bolt.
BugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote