Yugo MilSurp x39 range report - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 18:57   #1

Yugo MilSurp x39 range report

I put some Yugo brass cased berdan primed x39 ammo down range and had mixed results....
All the rounds went bang and had positive primer strikes. The primers were not dimpled as deep as the fiocchi or Winchester primers but I'm guessing they don't need to be due to the fact that they have a internal anvil built into the case?
I was not shooting for accuracy but they seemed to shot to the same point of aim as the US made ammo and were on paper at 100.

Now for the mixed part.... They seemed to be underpowered? They did not cycle with the same authority as the Fiocchi or Winchester did and even had one failure to fully cycle. They just seemed as if they didn't have the same power in them to reliably cycle the action?
The one failure was not a hang up of any kind and I don't place any blame on the M-30 or mag but squarely on the Yugo MilSurp ammo. The action just lost steam and didn't fully strip the cartridge from the magazine into the chamber.... A slight tap and it chambered but never the less it showed some sort of issue? Kind of like a limp wristed 1911 failure to chamber.
Anyway, I have to say that this one deal was enough for me to stay away from it in the future and stick with the boxer primed ammunition in the Mini-30

FWIW
Old 05-17-2011, 20:18   #2

That is curious. Most reports of the Yugo talk about how hot the ammo is. Where did you get the ammo and what's the headstamp? Sometimes surplus is surplus for a reason--30+years in a cave near the Albanian border might affect the efficacy of the powder...
MISTER Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 20:38   #3

I just bought some more fiocchi $9.79/box20 + s & h. Best deal I could find.

Old 05-17-2011, 22:28   #4

Originally Posted by MISTER Q View Post
That is curious. Most reports of the Yugo talk about how hot the ammo is. Where did you get the ammo and what's the headstamp? Sometimes surplus is surplus for a reason--30+years in a cave near the Albanian border might affect the efficacy of the powder...
This has been my experience also. I like the yugo because the brass cases are easier on the chamber. Also shooting this matches POI of the silver bear sp ammo I use for deer hunting, and load up for self defense. Also at around 20c per round, its about the cheapest plinking ammo I know of.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 15:10   #5
Administrator

Originally Posted by CZDiesel View Post
Now for the mixed part.... They seemed to be underpowered? They did not cycle with the same authority as the Fiocchi or Winchester did and even had one failure to fully cycle. They just seemed as if they didn't have the same power in them to reliably cycle the action?
Since those were military surplus rounds, we have no idea how long they have been in storage.

Who knows how long those rounds were sitting in some warehouse before they were finally sold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 18:13   #6

Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
This has been my experience also. I like the yugo because the brass cases are easier on the chamber. Also shooting this matches POI of the silver bear sp ammo I use for deer hunting, and load up for self defense. Also at around 20c per round, its about the cheapest plinking ammo I know of.
the day I shot the Yugo I also shot some 'silver bear' - got some mifires with the sb but it grouped fairlywell.
the yugo did well no misfires. I shot only around 12 or so of each, most of my range time that day was with Marlin Camp 9mm
Old 05-21-2011, 21:48   #7

Originally Posted by MISTER Q View Post
The headstamp is IK 86..... Don't have any knowledge of Yugo MilSurp so I don't know if that's a 1986 load or something quite different?
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Since those were military surplus rounds, we have no idea how long they have been in storage.

Who knows how long those rounds were sitting in some warehouse before they were finally sold.
Of course you are right.... In addition, everything has bad runs or just a individually bad item. I may have been the lucky one that got the bad round Who knows? But for know I will stick with Fiocchi, MFS, and WWB....

Soon to be rolling my own