Ruger Mini-30 Scope Ring Problem - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 18:17   #1

Ruger Mini-30 Scope Ring Problem

Hello again everyone !

After getting my mini-30 back from the factory with a new barrel (front sight was canted) I've decided to mount an old scope to the rifle.

I took the tops off the scope rings and mounted them to the gun. After taking several long screwdrivers to check the alignment of the scope rings I've determined that the rear scope ring is 1/16" or so lower than the front. Is this too much for an inexpensive scope to handle? If not, do I need to send back to Ruger?
TexShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:28   #2

Is it the rings or the scallops cut in the receiver? The scope may be able to adjust out. Someone here used a piece of 1'' conduit or pvc pipe to check the alignment of the scope rings to the bore, easy way to check.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:36   #3
Isolationist Libertarian

Originally Posted by TexShoot View Post
Hello again everyone !

After getting my mini-30 back from the factory with a new barrel (front sight was canted) I've decided to mount an old scope to the rifle.

I took the tops off the scope rings and mounted them to the gun. After taking several long screwdrivers to check the alignment of the scope rings I've determined that the rear scope ring is 1/16" or so lower than the front. Is this too much for an inexpensive scope to handle? If not, do I need to send back to Ruger?
Can you still take the rings off and measure them? If by lucky chance it was a ring you could just put it on the front, dunno about you put I usually find myself raising the rear if anything.....Not Ruger rings of course, never tried that.