Newly Merged Police/LE/Corrections/Military Use of the Mini-14 - Page 5 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree181Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:31   #101

Last edited by C.Montague; 08-02-2012 at 13:11.
C.Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:32   #102

Old 02-20-2011, 06:41   #103

Originally Posted by C.Montague View Post
I think it would work well...if it was a Ruger OEM mag.
Great pics on this thread! The mag in question looks to be a 40 rounder by its profile. Did Ruger ever make a factory 40? I know that there are aftermarket 40's made. I had a few of them 'back in the day'. Jam, Jam, Jam, toss in trash. Maybe the newer 40's are more reliable? Best!

Last edited by Reblyell; 02-20-2011 at 06:42. Reason: Spelling correction
Reblyell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2011, 07:24   #104

Old 02-20-2011, 08:35   #105

Last edited by C.Montague; 08-02-2012 at 13:12.
Old 02-20-2011, 13:04   #106

Old 02-20-2011, 13:35   #107

Here,here-I to would like to thank C.Montague for this really cool thread.So THANK-YOU sir!
ralrein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 21:49   #108

Thanks to everyone for the excellent...er... 'inconvenient' photos. As for the last, couldn't a Mini do as well as any HK .223 or 9mm in semi-auto in typical urban settings?
We see HKs nowadays on the news from all parts of the world.

I met a patrolman in a small town in AR, about forty miles from Memphis, who keeps his personal Mini 14 (with fancy electric sights) in his squad car.

Following the terrible tragedy months ago in West Memphis, where one or both attackers suddenly emerged from their truck (during a fairly routine traffic stop) with one or two AKs used against the startled officers, maybe more officers carry Minis?

This team of psychos was a father and son 'team', who led a rabidly anti-govt lifestyle and were from IN or OH.
Ignition Override is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:42   #109

Old 02-21-2011, 09:39   #110
Registered Member

I'm a Mini Fan

I'm a Deputy Sheriff with the San Bernardino County County Sheriff's Dept in California. We've been using Ruger Mini-14's since the early 1980's. The command staff at the time decided to get them because our guys being terribly undergunned during the Norco Bank Robbery. I've been told by a few old salt's that in the early days of issuing them, they were actually AC-556's! These days our SWAT guys have issued Colt M4's, narcotics teams have a mixture of issued AR-15's as well as Mini-14's, and us patrol guys have iron sighted Mini-14's drawn from the station armory. No more AC-556's are around, unfortunately .

In the last 5 years or so, I know of 5 or 6 separate incidents where deputies at various stations have used the Mini's in lethal force encounters. The Mini's have delivered the rounds where they have needed to go except for one shooting. There may have been an issue with improper sight-in or change of zero in that situation. I only know of two incidents where M4's or AR's were used in that same time, and they put the rounds where they needed to go as well. The Mini's are in hundreds of patrol cars a day and are pulled out on a regular basis when the situation calls for it. They are mounted in vertical gun racks between the front seats next to a 14 inch barrel Rem 870 Police.

I like the newer 16-inch barrel 580 series we are slowly transitioning to much better than the 18 1/2 inch barrel models because it is much easier to get in and out of the crown vic. Also, I think the 580 overall is a better carbine but most of ours are 182/183 and some 196/197. As far as police guns being carried a lot and shot little, there is truth to that for the patrol guns. But, our training center has about 20 of the 16 inch barrel 580 mini's that are used for training and quals. Each gun has gotten several thousand rounds a year for about 5 years that are cleaned sparingly. They've had some issues with extractors wearing out but that's about it. From what I have been told by the range staff the mini's are very durable/reliable and the 580's are close to being as accurate as AR's.

I love the Mini-14 and think it is a great patrol rifle. I have thousands of rounds down range through my own Mini and dept mini's doing my own training, depart training/quals, and a carbine course. In the carbine course I was the only guy out of about 20 with a Mini, and at the time it was iron sighted. Everyone else had AR's and I definitely got some remarks about what a heap the Mini was. Until we started shooting. I was shooting better/faster than most of the guys in the class, including guys with optics on their AR's. I was only one of a handfull with no malfunctions.

As far as malfunctions, I have had one fail to eject in my own 580 rifle during practice, a fail to extract in a dept training 580 mini during a qual, and one failure to go into battery while chambering a round once when I pulled it out on a mangun call. The bolt only went halfway home, and immediate action fixed the problem. It was a 182 series gun. I haven't had that problem the other 7 or 8 times I've had it out and none of my partners have heard of someone having that problem. I had a partner shooting a 182 series mini while doing night shooting on a dead graveyard shift. After firing a couple of rounds he had a ka-boom blow the trigger group out of the bottom of the gun. He was fine. He was shooting dept issued Winchester 5.56 FMJ training rounds. I never heard what caused the problem.

IF I had it my way, we would be able to purchase and carry our own with the option of adding a 1-4 illuminated variable power optic and a a mounted white light. Very usable in low light, still usable even with a dead battery, and the ability to keep both hands on the weapon during firing are definitely good traits. Even if we go to AR's, I would like to have my own Mini for patrol.
chrisdk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:36   #111

Old 02-23-2011, 20:13   #112

Yes, you are correct. The full story is here:

NYPD learns lessons from Mumbai terrorist attack that killed 174

Two years ago, these officers were training in preparation for a Mumbai style attack threat, forming a CIRC (Critical Incident Response Capacity) team to supplement NYPD's ESU. If you recall, the attack at Mumbai was one of the worst terrorist incidents in Indian history, resulting in the deaths of over 170 people. The terrorists were armed with AK-47s and grenades and the attack itself was well-planned and carried out over three days.

NYPD would have studied this incident very closely, knowing that a similar attack is always possible on American soil. The fact that these officers are training with the Mini-14 adds further clout to the weapon's known effectiveness: the Mini is on the front lines in the war on terror.
The Ray Kelly smoke and mirrors show.

These Officers are not Patrol Officers, they are plainclothed and undercover narcotics Officers who will be in the field on assignments when, or more likely, if ever, they are activated to respond to a terrorist attack. They will first have to return to their offices to retrieve their rifles and tactical gear and only then head out to the incident. By the time they arrive at an attack, it will surely be long over.

The NYPD has learned nothing from Columbine, North Hollywood or Mambia, the Officers who will be first on the scene- Patrol Officers, of any incident requiring deployment of rifles, are still in 2011 not equipped with long guns to defend themselves or the public they serve or to terminate an incident.
dfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 21:08   #113

Old 02-23-2011, 21:11   #114

Old 02-25-2011, 18:16   #115

Yes, you are correct. The full story is here:

NYPD learns lessons from Mumbai terrorist attack that killed 174

Two years ago, these officers were training in preparation for a Mumbai style attack threat, forming a CIRC (Critical Incident Response Capacity) team to supplement NYPD's ESU. If you recall, the attack at Mumbai was one of the worst terrorist incidents in Indian history, resulting in the deaths of over 170 people. The terrorists were armed with AK-47s and grenades and the attack itself was well-planned and carried out over three days.

NYPD would have studied this incident very closely, knowing that a similar attack is always possible on American soil. The fact that these officers are training with the Mini-14 adds further clout to the weapon's known effectiveness: the Mini is on the front lines in the war on terror.
I knew the NYPD had Mini-14s for years but I had thought they phased them out, as many PDs have. Since 9/11, most times I've been through Penn Station during elevated terror alerts, I've seen NYPD SWAT with M4s on a single-point sling.

Most Noo Yawkuhs freak out a little when they see them. Some people appear visibly uncomfortable with them around. I see them, and I feel a little better. It all depends on how you're wired.
Old 02-25-2011, 21:33   #116

Last edited by C.Montague; 08-02-2012 at 13:13.
Old 02-26-2011, 17:36   #117
Tracker

It is my belief that the California Highway Patrol used Mini 14s in the late 90s maybe before.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:17   #118

[QUOTE=niteowl;640632]06news053.shtm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I noticed the GB on the table (far left) is lacking its 'guts' for the bolt hold open. Even though the weapon should run fine, I imagine a Range Officer might find this to be 'unacceptable'. Then again, I'm sure it would be remedied before the rifle was issued.
Reblyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:36   #119

Providing public safety in the Big Apple.

Nice to see that the AC556F is still in service.
savage99nc likes this.
Old 02-27-2011, 15:04   #120

Originally Posted by OrenG View Post
Nice to see that the AC556F is still in service.
That's not an AC556. It's a GB, though I had no idea Ruger ever made GBs with an (AC556) barrel and sight profile.

CORRECTION: can't be a "GB" (Government Bayonet) with no lug! But it definitely is semi-auto. Guess it's just a Ruger factory SBR.

The selector area is more noticeably bare in this photo:

(Seems an unwise way to carry it if it can't be used as a subgun)

I'm pretty sure all pre-86 MGs owned by police depts have been auctioned to civilians by now, as they can buy a bunch of current-mfg full-auto ARs with the sale of one pre-86 AC556.
man-at-arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21   #121

The design is battle tested, namely the m1 carbine ( i may have got that wrong ) Basically it's just one of those with a more powerful round, those 30 carbines were about 357 magnum level if i am not mistaken. 223 is more correct?
SupremeAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:48   #122

^ I'd say so. I think the early iterations of the Mini 14 might've been too lightweight in construction to withstand the rigors of combat, but to be fair, the original M-16s that were sent to Vietnam without the benefit of a rigorous testing period by the military were likewise not built to withstand combat conditions. Current Minis with thicker barrels and tougher stocks are the natural evolution of the firearm. I have little doubt that if the Garand system soldiered on in the US military in the form of a Mini-14 type rifle, that the current crop would be every bit as battle-worthy as it's big brother the M14.
23 Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 17:17   #123

Sorry if already posted - but this is a picture of Korean shop owners during the 1992 Los Angeles riots. The man in the foreground looks like he's armed with a Mini 14. Truly the Mini 14 is a serious rifle meant for serious business...

23 Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:45   #124

Mini pics in use with bermuda reg.

Bermuda - a set on Flickr
dstra and Misfire51 like this.

Last edited by star; 07-22-2011 at 12:55. Reason: spelling
star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 14:45   #125

I will say, those Choate stocks don't look bad at all. That Choate M4 stock is even more of a winner--very simple, sleek, functional look.
usaf_vito is offline   Reply With Quote