My Plan - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 21:32   #1

My Plan

My Plan for my 581 "tactical". I really like this rifle very compact and a blast to shoot. Anyway after waiting and researching here is my plan:

I'm going to glass bed the action first. This seems to be the greatest budget upgrade to accuracy.

Next trigger job and medium sized gas bushing from Gun Doc.

Start Reloading.

Being such a short barrel I don't think I will go with an Accustrut.

Next possibly a Tech Sight. Ultimak/red dot or some glass such as the
Weaver Classic V-Series Rifle Scope 1-3x 20mm Dual-X Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

After that I think its just cosmetic. Maybe try out some Duracoat. Maybe a coyote brown and Dark earth combo..hmm.

Let me know if you all think I'm on the right track here thanks.

Last edited by Killagan; 02-13-2011 at 21:57.
Killagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 22:07   #2
Banned

Good plan! Bedding is a good place to start. Trigger job will not make the rifle more accurate, but it sure will make the shooter a better shooter. I would do them both along with a gas-block adjustment.

Start Reloading? Great hobby and very rewarding, get a manual or two first and see if it's right for you.
steve4102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 22:13   #3

Oh Reloading fits my bill for sure. I am definitely a tinkerer going to order a few books as soon as possible. I'm sure it will be my next great venture my wife rolls her eyes at

Old 02-13-2011, 22:21   #4
Banned

Before you decide on what reloading press and equipment to buy, you need to ask yourself how much shooting and how many rounds you will be loading in a given period of time. Rifle cartridges do well with the plain old single stage or Turret, but pistol rounds can be a real chore on a single.
steve4102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 22:29   #5

YA I was kinda leaning toward a single just to get the hang of it first but I do like to shoot a lot. It will probably depend on how much funds I have at the time. But I guess some reloading is better than none.
Old 02-14-2011, 15:07   #6

Reloading can be very rewarding.
I bought my younger son a new Savage .308 for xmas and we'd been running "decent' factory ammo for it until I had a chance to get the dies, shellplate and components.

He hadn't been able to get much better than 3" groups...some of that was the shooter, tho...

With a couple more trips to the range under his belt- and some SMK Varget handloads this weekend, the best load gave him ten shots that measured right at 1.5 MOA. Not bad for a 13 year old new shooter.

Always a popular discussion- if you care about maximum accuracy, you need to handload, or spend the $$ for match ammo- which still won't be as good since it's not tailored to your rifle. If you're just plinking at cans and sending rounds downrange, don't bother- just buy the cheap stuff.
tobnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:27   #7
KMO

Even though the shorter tapered barrel is a big improvement, don't rule out a barrel stabilizer completely. They also help to dissipate heat away from the barrel, and if you get the right one, a stabilizer can also be used as a mounting platform for some of your tactical accessories...