Mini 30 and 7.62x39 ammo ?? and comment - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 18:58   #1

Mini 30 and 7.62x39 ammo ?? and comment

Stupid me, bought 640 rounds of the Tula HP steel and polymer coated...well the FTF rate was very high, no fun at the range and now selling it to AK guys I guess. Buddy had bought the Golden Bear HP and they worked just fine so placed my order for 240.

Now has anyone else had this problem with Tula? Where is the best priced Golden bear found? OR Is there a cheap all brass ammo(I want to reload eventually), or just a better ammo than the Golden Bear for the price. I use this for hunting and cannot stand a FTF rate that is high. Thanks for any and all comments and advice!
Old 01-18-2011, 20:13   #2
Banned

Hey Frank, welcome to the Union, this is the place to be if you want the skinny both good and bad on the Mini. Hey, I made a funny, "Skinny on the Mini".

Long story long, the Mini-30 will not shoot inexpensive foreign ammo. Ruger had a marketing video on their web site telling the whole world that foreign Mil Spec ammo was good to go in the Mini-30 knowing full well that it would not function. They ran the video for a few months and it has recently been removed.

What does this mean for you? If you want your Mini-30 to be reliable you MUST use US made Brass cased Boxer primed ammo. All of the foreign ammo both brass or steel is Berdan primed. The Mini-30 cannot handle Berdan primed ammo, it's not the case it's the primer. If you try to shoot the foreign stuff, The up front and obvious is failure to fire, the not so obvious is excerss stess on the firing pin which can lead to a broken pin.

If you want a 7.62x39 that runs with inexpensive ammo the Ruger Mini-30 ain't it, get an AK, SKS or AR-15, or plan on spending $10-$25 per 20 rounds to feed your Ruger.

I'd sell it!

steve4102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 20:26   #3
Banned

Originally Posted by star View Post
But I do not have a good answer. sorry. I have tried uli and wolf black box with similar results. I am looking to buy some new ammo as well....

I was wonder about Sellers and belllot?
So I am not sure I can blame the ammo.
I was also wondering about any of the bear lines of ammo.

I have looked at the federal and other brass case brands but at about a buck a round I will not be shooting much...

So far the little things are starting to make me regret this rifle.
Check to see what type of primer the S & B uses. If it's Boxer primed it should work fine, if it's Berdan forget it.

I wouldn't call not being able to shoot both CIP and SAAMI spec-ed ammo a "little thing", especially when Ruger markets the rifle to shoot both.

Old 01-19-2011, 00:53   #4

Try some barnaul ammo if you want reliable cheap steel cased ammo.
I can only speak for myself, but its been flawless in my M30
nzmini30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:54   #5

Welcome to the Forum Frank. a good place for Mini owners.
actually there is some 'foreign' ammo that's brass case and boxer primed.
IMI, Lapua, PP and PMC. and others - one was South African 'PMP'.
the really good IMI (Israeli) I have'nt seen any of in awhile some others pop up every now and again.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:34   #6

Fiocchi is another choice that's reasonable. As a PS, I use mine for certain situations when whitetail hunting. I spend the money for Cor-Bon when the goal is a quick and humane kill.
pbrktrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:30   #7
Banned

Originally Posted by Marlin 45 carbine View Post
actually there is some 'foreign' ammo that's brass case and boxer primed.
IMI, Lapua, PP and PMC. and others - one was South African 'PMP'.
the really good IMI (Israeli) I have'nt seen any of in awhile some others pop up every now and again.
Correct, I should have said "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" foreign ammo.

IMI x39 ammo is all dried up. IMI was a great source for x39 brass as well and that has dried up also.

Lapua x39 ammo is running at about $40 per 30 rounds, wouldn't call that cheap, more like outrageous.

PP or Privi Partizan sells for about $11-$15 per 20 rounds, not cheap.

PMC is about the cheapest you will find at about $11 per 20 rounds.

Fiocchi sells for about $12 per 20. This ammo may indeed be American made as much of the Fiocchi ammo is manufactured in Missouri.

Again, if you want your Mini-30 to function without issues then you got a feed it ammo that cost $$$. Cheap stuff will not work.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:16   #8

Wow guys, thanks for all the "Skinny on the Mini". The Winchester $16 20 rd I bought did fine as did the cheap bi metal Golden Bear 240 rds for $6 so $4 for a 20rd box. So guess that will be what I stick with for now. I wonder what primer it has??

I am not a dirt clod shooter but use the gun for hunting so will not be shooting thousands of rounds through it, I use it as a semi auto 30-30 if you will. Hogs/deer/yotes and such.

I have scoped it and put a MoRod strut on the gun and am getting 1" groupings at 50 yards. Not bad and actually great for heavy brush hog/deer/yote hunting. Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 13:10   #9

Don't Forget to try Hornady 123gr Vmax (50 box)($27 @ Cabelas) they work great in my Mini30. Only shot one deer at about 55 yds and it was perfect medicine.
One little Texas deer wasn't enough test I know. Try the Silver Bear SP also. I'm getting 100% to fire. I bought 120 rds to test and 60 I tried have fired. I usually get one or two failures with per box with Wolf.
WENDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:24   #10
Banned

Originally Posted by star View Post
steve

are PP,PMC, Fiocchi boxer primed?
Yes.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:44   #11

at present about the best buy on brass-cased X39 is the Yugo mil-surp. it is berdan primed and mildy coorosive though. maybe it's Hungariona can't remember. a nephew had some boxes of I fired a couple in my M30 - no misfires. shot good groups but a bit sooty and of course windsheild washer fluid spray down and wipe after fireing. I'm thinking I might split a case w/him while it's still available and cheap for 'blasting' ammo. dirt clods, bricks, rocks etc.

heck it seems to me that perhaps some member here could check into an import license to have a sole distributorship for such as IMI, PMP (south african - good stuff), Lapua etc.
Old 01-20-2011, 16:56   #12

I tried quite a few brands in my mini-30. I replaced the hammer spring with the heavier one from Wolff springs, but it still won't shoot Wolf ammo. I use PMC or Fiocchi mostly, with very nearly 100% feed/fire rate, but the RUAG ammo:
7.62 X 39MM Centerfire Rifle Ammo for Sale Online at Discount Prices - Ammunition - Able Ammo
also works fine, and is $6 a box. I haven't tried TUL or Yugo MilSurp. These, any American made (more $$$) should work fine, but I'd recommend replacing the spring. Fiocchi and PMC use brass cases, hang on to them to reload, or sell/give to a reloader (like me, for instance!)
Good luck, PM me if you like.
Craig
CraigMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 16:18   #13

Yugo mil-surp X39 ammo

Aim is running a special on this already loaded onto SKS stripper clips.
methinks a call to nephew with SKS/AK to split a case is in order.
it is corro-primered so windex hose down is needed.
Old 01-21-2011, 19:23   #14

I have no problems with any of the "Bear" or "Tiger" variants in my mini 30. But the Ully and Tula stuff is strictly for my SKS. The mini won't digest it.
louie1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 20:06   #15

The Golden Bear at $50 for 240 rounds and no FTF is what I am going wth in the HP so it can be hunted with, When I kill something I will give you a further report on the killing power. Thanks to all, got the ammo at Sportsmans Guide.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:19   #16

I have used Fiocchi boxer primed exclusively in my Mini 30 and have had no problems what-so-ever with 500 rds fired.
jmbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:39   #17

I would be interested in Fiocchi boxer primed 7.62x39 brass HP/SP if I could find it, seems all supplies have dried up...If anyone knows a source...please post. Thanks
Old 01-23-2011, 10:37   #18

Frank, as a heads up, the Russian HP does not perform on game as one would believe. It is more like a FMJ. I would highly recommend a soft point load when using the M-30 or any 7.62x39 on deer sized game.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:43   #19

PBRK, Hmmm, did not know that, I got the Golden Bear HP, going to use it for deer in FL and FMJ are not allowed, so you thing the SP would be a more deadly round than the HP?? Thanks
Old 01-23-2011, 13:58   #20

Absolutely Frank. Although you may get a hit in the vitals with a Russian made hp the deer is most likely going to travel a long way before expiring. From my experience they act almost the same as the FMJ. A quality soft point will expand and give you a much quicker and humane kill. In all honesty, how many rounds do most hunters shoot at game in a season? Spend a little more for a good hunting load and shoot a few for zero reference and use the other ammo for plinking/target shooting. I don't think Fla. deer are the size of Mich. deer but they all deserve a quick and effective kill IMO. Let us know how your hunt turns out and what you go with for ammo. I have backstrap & loin in the crockpot as I type. We almost eat venison exclusively until the salmon come around in the spring. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.
Old 01-23-2011, 16:25   #21

Hogs are our mainstay in the South, much tastier to me than deer. My hunting round has been the Western SP at 17 a box so far...I will give you a report as we hit the hogs! Thanks Frank
Old 01-23-2011, 18:31   #22

I've had really good luck with Silver Bear ammo. Is the new Mini 30 that finicky that it won't shoot silver bear/brown bear? If I can't shoot steel case ammo out it, forget it. My Mini 14 loves the stuff, though.
badpig96R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 21:23   #23

Hi,

Strange, no mention of the MFS 2000 ammo available from Cabela's. It's brass cased and boxer primed. I shoots fair out of my M30 but others have reported better. I bought 1K rds back when it was on sale for $6.99/20. It's $10.99 now but, I'm sure it will come on sale "sometime".

Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:36   #24

that's one I have'nt tryed any of.
if it's as good as the 9mm Para I shot of that make them it would be good stuff. I notice it's berdan primed though.
Old 02-02-2011, 19:59   #25
Mini 30 FTW

I use the stuff from Georgia Arms in my mini 30. Have not had ANY ftf issues at all. In fact, I haven't had any issues with it at all. It is berdan primed. It is labeled as noncorrosive, but they recommend, as do I, to treat it as if it were corrosive.

Hope this helps...
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote