Mini 30 and 7.62x39 ammo ?? and comment - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 20:19   #26

OK I have found this to be the best so far, it is hunting ammo in HP/SP at Ammo & Hunting Gear, Camping & Outdoor Equipment, Military Surplus & Clothing at Sportsman's Guide let me know if you find it cheaper somewhere else please. NO FTF or FTE, no problems at all. As clean as the Winchester I shot and non corrosive.
147730 Golden BearŪ 7.62x39 125 gr. SP 500 rds.
$124.97 $118.72

Golden Bear .223 Rem 62 Gr. Hp 120 Rds., Rifle Ammo, Golden Bear at Sportsman's Guide
Old 02-03-2011, 01:13   #27

My Mini 30 has digested about 1,500 or more rds. of only Russian-made ammo.
Having read some reports about problems which led me to expect trouble, the results have been a very pleasant surprise.

My rifle has only had about a dozen or less FTFs, and only on the first strike.
The seller never mentioned whether it has the original hammer spring.

I secretly hope that nobody makes a decent off for mine (FTF only), because it is so much fun to shoot.
Ignition Override is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:55   #28

Originally Posted by badpig96R View Post
I've had really good luck with Silver Bear ammo. Is the new Mini 30 that finicky that it won't shoot silver bear/brown bear? If I can't shoot steel case ammo out it, forget it. My Mini 14 loves the stuff, though.
You will just have to try different brands to see what will fire in your Mini 30.

I get all my Mini 30/14 stuff thru "Sportsmans Guide" also.

I find my Mini 14 and 30 love Silver Bear and My 14 loves Brown Bear, but the 30 is minute of barn door with brown bear. I have shot alot of deer and hogs with the mini 30 with wolf 154gr soft points(100% ignition). I never recovered a bullet till I finally hit a hog that went the full length 200lbs+ and I noticed it only mushroomed to about the total bullet diameter so they really don't expand either. All my deer and hogs were one shot kills with most dropping in their tracks so I learned something on the Wolf lack of expansion. I just used the Hornady A-Max on one deer this year and it worked great. I think they may be a little soft on anything other than these small Hill Country Texas deer . I will use the 125 SP Silver Bear this next season to test them out.

The 62gr SP Brown Bear were also good deer and Hog medicine and all were one shot kills with all 4 deer and 2 hogs dropping in their tracks. They do open up and have performed good so far. (no head shots either)
WENDALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 16:00   #29

I get mine at Sportman's Warehouse.
jmbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 16:51   #30

I've had really good luck with Silver Bear ammo. Is the new Mini 30 that finicky that it won't shoot silver bear/brown bear? If I can't shoot steel case ammo out it, forget it. My Mini 14 loves the stuff, though.
my 189 series didn't care much for it. out of a box a nephew (SKS shot it good) gave me several ftf's and sooty. didn't group as well as Yugo mil-surp.
his SKS liked it though, but some wipeing of gas system to clean.
my opine stick to brass cased for that M30.
I still see every now and again PMC (not the best for sure) and Fiochhi (evidently fairly good ammo) on sale for around 8-10$$ box of 20. fmj that is.
can't remember shooting any Fiochhi but some here have good report of it.
when I bought my M30 I bought 1/2 case of PMC only to find out it doesn't shoot worth a damn and is 'iffy' on recoil with enough 'uumphh' to cycle the action. makes good emptys to reload though, neck doesn't fatigue crack like Winny brass.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:45   #31

Tula

My mini-30 loves the tula. Just as accurate as the WW and Fed I've shot and 3.97 a box. I've ran almost 500 rounds through it with no problems.

As far as the bi-metal projectile Tula also has bullets that are strictly lead core with copper too.
diegokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 14:48   #32
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!

The only stuff my Mini30 has not liked yet was surplus Egyptian in brass with a AP round.

Very hot, very nasty, cuts T posts in half when you hit them nasty, and I have not yet found metal thick enough that I've been willing to shoot that will stop the round. (Rail road tie, shot in the "thin" area, right through like butter. Cut a massive chunk out of the top part, and deflected off the bottem to go right through the middle again) Only shot three rounds at the scrap of track, but dang, this stuff would eat up cars and not even notice them.

On the FTF, it's primer related for sure. My M30 is pretty good about most other steel/Russian stuff, it shoots the Golden/Silver and Brown Bear fine. Herters zero issues. MFS no problems. Wolf is dirty as all get out, but goes bang, and feeds fine too. Tula I have not shot much of, but the 80 rounds I did went bang every time. Not as dirty as the Wolf.

I use the Herters SP rounds for "defense" loads, and I don't hunt, so I have no practical experience with how these russian made/designed 7.62 bullets in FMJ, HP or SP would/will react in a deer etc.

I do know that if a deer was shot with that AP round, it would cut down a T post on the other side, pass through a car, and perhaps keep on going..

I kept a few, and should cut one open to see what the bullet has as a penetrator in there. My guess is something pretty dang hard and very magnetic.

The Sportsman's Guide has deals on 7.62x39 most of the time, and I've bought quite a bit of ammo from them. I do notice that the USA Ammo has some in brass for sale right now, but it's not cheap, but the price was not terrible. (They have a nice deal on 9mm.)

I have looked at doing the file/grinding work on my Mini30 to get the pin depth to get reliable primer ignition, if I do this, I'll take some photos, as it's been awhile since I saw the deal on how to do it, and what depth to set it at. (Mimic an AK/SKS and you should be good to go, but I'm thinking do not go any deeper, as AK/SKS folks do say that us spec ammo can result in holes in the primers. (Of course, I don't shoot any US spec ammo... LOL)
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 16:02   #33
Registered Member

My mini 30 was firing about 2 out of 5 rounds of Herters (steel case) but was fine with S&B (brass).
I installed a Wolff hammer spring with no noticeable difference so I installed a Glend Arms firing pin (longer than the Ruger pin)
They recommend the pin protrusion to be .032-.038"
Mine is closer to .050" which is still shorter than my SKS firing pin.
It fires Herters every time now but it leaves a pretty deep impression in the primer.
I don't plan on shooting anything with softer primers so I'm happy.
rtfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 19:28   #34

IN my bone stock 581 mini 30 the following works well:

1) Yugo surplus (2.5 to 3.0 MOA)
2) Silver bear SP (3.0 MOA) - Shoots to same Point of Aim as the Yugo Surplus.
3) S & B FMJ and SP - Yes they are brass/boxer suitable for reloading. Cost: $10 & $12 per 20.
4) Chinese (norinco) light green box - copper washed cases & bullets (Armor piercing) bought about 20 yrs ago. no longer importable. Its going for about $1 per rnd on gunbroker.

I have been able to get #1-3 at Sportsmans Guide or Cabela's. #4 no longer available unless you luck out at an estate sale or gunshow.

Looking for good buys on the fiocchi and MFS to try out.

Wolf absolutely does not work reliably. Have not tried Tula or Uly
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:31   #35

Thanks for the pin depth numbers. Anyone else measure the pin depth on the Mini30, and then on an AK or SKS?
Old 12-18-2012, 20:36   #36

7.62x39 for Mini 30

Never fired anything other than a .308 diameter in my Mini 30. Always concerned that the factory ammo would mess up my barrel. Plenty of .308 bullets from 100 to 150 grain that have worked well.
gweru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:06   #37

I believe the MFS (125 gr SP) has the same headstamp as the Silver Bear, just FYI. It performs well in mine, but will see after Christmas if it will do a good job on deer.
SR9
SR22
M77 6mm
2 - 10/22's
Single 6
WENDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:18   #38

I only use American made brass/boxer primed ammo in my Mini 30 and have never had a single issue with any kind of malfunction. It's more costly, but you get what you pay for.

Has anyone here used the Corbon DPX (123 gr) in their Mini 30? If so, any feedback would be appreciated.
Boxerpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:34   #39
Odd Pachyderm thingy

No,
MY 581 Mini 30 eats Silver bear like candy.
10% fail to fire rate with tula
25% fail to fire with wolf Military classic
30% fail to fire with Wolf Black box

SP silver bear = GOOD TO GO.
500 rounds fired - all went bang.
get tennis ball sized groups at 100 with it off hand, golf ball groups off a bench if I'm in the "zone"

yes, it's a little more dirty than US made ammo - but I don't care, as I strip and clean the rifle after every use weather it needs it or not.

it also seems to have a little more "pop" than Winchester white box or federal power shock. bullet goes a good 100 fps faster with the bear.

according to what I've read. Barnaul (the guys that make bear ammo)
use a softer "sport" primer for the gold and silver bear line.

it's good enough for a SHTF stash in my humble opinion.
and I hunt with it... it kills things Just fine.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 17:38   #40

I have shot Wolf, Tula and Golden Bear through my 30 with not a hitch. The Golden Bear groups better so I bought uh, "a signficant quantity" LOL. Ammo has dried up fast. Just about all my old reliable sites are out of stock.

For deer where you want 1 good clean shot/kill I plan to use the Hornady SST's. They have better ballistics, a bit hotter velocity and should work well.

I found where it appears all the deer are hanging out in my whole county. They are just over the bridge at the small city park where nobody can legally shoot them. I almost hit 3 of them on my motorcycle last night because they were standing right in the middle of the road. I looked over in the grass and saw at lest 25 or 30 deer over there. I think we have these critters trained now through generations of hunting them.
hottarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 18:21   #41

Originally Posted by hottarod View Post
I have shot Wolf, Tula and Golden Bear through my 30 with not a hitch. The Golden Bear groups better so I bought uh, "a signficant quantity" LOL. Ammo has dried up fast. Just about all my old reliable sites are out of stock.

For deer where you want 1 good clean shot/kill I plan to use the Hornady SST's. They have better ballistics, a bit hotter velocity and should work well.

I found where it appears all the deer are hanging out in my whole county. They are just over the bridge at the small city park where nobody can legally shoot them. I almost hit 3 of them on my motorcycle last night because they were standing right in the middle of the road. I looked over in the grass and saw at lest 25 or 30 deer over there. I think we have these critters trained now through generations of hunting them.
Same thing here. Shoots Golden Bear the best so picked up about 5,000 rounds of it over the past two months. I'm all set.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 23:43   #42

Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
Hey Frank, welcome to the Union, this is the place to be if you want the skinny both good and bad on the Mini. Hey, I made a funny, "Skinny on the Mini".

Long story long, the Mini-30 will not shoot inexpensive foreign ammo. Ruger had a marketing video on their web site telling the whole world that foreign Mil Spec ammo was good to go in the Mini-30 knowing full well that it would not function. They ran the video for a few months and it has recently been removed.

What does this mean for you? If you want your Mini-30 to be reliable you MUST use US made Brass cased Boxer primed ammo. All of the foreign ammo both brass or steel is Berdan primed. The Mini-30 cannot handle Berdan primed ammo, it's not the case it's the primer. If you try to shoot the foreign stuff, The up front and obvious is failure to fire, the not so obvious is excerss stess on the firing pin which can lead to a broken pin.

If you want a 7.62x39 that runs with inexpensive ammo the Ruger Mini-30 ain't it, get an AK, SKS or AR-15, or plan on spending $10-$25 per 20 rounds to feed your Ruger.

I'd sell it!

Not exactly true! Gold and silver bear (barnaul) works well. Also yugo surplus, but it is corrosively primered, so clean your mini after shooting.

For reloadable brass cased, not dirt cheap but reasonable ($12/20) try Fiocchi or S & B. Cabelas usually has some.

Of course all U.S. made brass/boxer will work 100% but IMHO at a cost that is totally unreasonable.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 15:56   #43

I've had good luck w/the yugo surplus. corro-primered so windex or similar is needed to clean
Old 12-22-2012, 18:12   #44

I agree with the XP hammer spring from Wolff. I have had ZERO problems with steel case ammo since installing this spring. HTH c good
c good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 00:22   #45

Have not posted on this subject for awhile, but have zero FTF with the Herters Select from Cabellas.

I have cleaned my rifle every time I've used it, but it's stainless, so corrosion should not be a big deal to start with.

I use "hose cuts" as buffers on the gas port and at the back near the action to limit how much the moving parts slam into each other. It has not affected my ability to last round hold open, or how the weapon operates, but it sure improved accuracy from a rest, and the rifle is not as "clangy" when it's shot.

Just looking at my pin depth, I'd say it's fine, and the primer dimples are nice and deep, but not too deep that they have ever punched a hole in the primer. (I suppose if it was too deep, that could be a problem.)

I've polished the action/trigger/sear, so I don't know if that helped with my otherwise "stock" M-30 stainless tactical rifle.

One of these days, I really should measure the pin depth, and if I'm so inclined, get it slightly deeper, to avoid any problems shooting the cheap stuff that this rifle is fed. (I do not shoot expensive ammo out of this rifle, but might one of these days, use it for hunting I suppose.)
Old 12-23-2012, 07:18   #46

Can you elaborate on the "hose cuts" idea? This sounds interesting. Thanks, c good
c good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 18:16   #47

I don't remember the ID size hose, but I used to build Turbo Supra's, and have some extra Earl's Blue hose from various builds in my hose tote. (Yes, an entire tote full of scrap/spare/extra hose, it's come in very handy over the years.)

So, I was looking for a buffer that would hold up.
I tried the 1911 buffers, and they get trashed in 500 rounds or so.

I tried making my own from leather with a punch, and that works, but still, they fall apart, and don't work as well.

So, I was looking at what I needed, and looked up, and there is the TOTE of glory!

Using the hose, you cut "washers" or short hoses about 1/8" long. (Or shorter if you need to tune it so the last round hold open feature works.)

The hose is high temp, with a braided insert, blue outer cover, and black inner all bonded together. (Earl's is a high quality brand, and this hose is about 7.00 per foot last time I bought it.)

I just slip on over the gas port "nub" and slip the other around the spring guide rod at the action, so it's "buffered" on both ends.

Works so well, I should cut them, market them as "Adjuster's Ass Whooping Buffers" and charge 4.00 for 4 of them... LOL

Let's see... 4.00 per inch of a hose that costs 7.00 per foot... Not a bad profit I'd say.

And they last.

I've run 500 rounds on this deal, and no signs of splitting, cracking or heat damage in any way. (Get high heat rated hose, this is high temp, and high pressure, rated for fuel, oil etc.) Cheaper hose might not hold up as well.

Then again, cheap hoes prove you get what you paid for.... (Oh I'm bad today! LOL)
Old 12-23-2012, 18:21   #48

Originally Posted by Mr. Snuffalupagus View Post
No,
MY 581 Mini 30 eats Silver bear like candy.
10% fail to fire rate with tula
25% fail to fire with wolf Military classic
30% fail to fire with Wolf Black box

it's good enough for a SHTF stash in my humble opinion.
and I hunt with it... it kills things Just fine.
I've been using the $5.00/box TulAmmo at Academy in my 581 Mini Thirty Tactical -no mods. No problems other than it is VERY dirty. I did have problems with one factory 20rd mag though.
NolaRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote