Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 04:29   #751

What did these look like anyways?
Tommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 22:51   #752

Originally Posted by navyboy65 View Post
Hi saw your post above! I would be okay with waiting for a right in silver/stainless, any idea on when you might have one ready? Also might be interested in one for my M1A, a right one. Do the come in stainless or black only? Prices on both Mini and M1A? Thanks Seth
Is the lefty still available? If so how much? Very interested as the last time we spoke you were on hiatus.
Fyrfytr998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:29   #753

Are these still being built, sold, shipped? Im WAY late to the party, but I would love one in Silver. Funny thing is I was about to buy one from Midway then saw this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jokester945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2018, 09:02   #754
Registered Member

I'm also late, and I'm also interested. Do these look similar to the Tactical Solutions 10/22 extended release??
servo086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 16:57   #755

Want to give this one more bump before I try and just build my own.
OcularPatdown likes this.
Fyrfytr998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 13:51   #756

New member here with a Mini 30. I've been searching for a different style of magazine release and happened upon this thread. Would love to know if these are still being sold!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
OcularPatdown likes this.
hoagie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 21:58   #757

Thumbs up Choices and Alternatives

I never got any response from this thread (for several years) so I challenged one of my FB friends to create something similar. He might be willing to commission a few if you're having trouble contacting the original poster. (Yes, it is an Allen wrench. And yes, it works perfectly.)

If there is any interest please let me know and I'll have him get in touch.

vive la liberte!

Me.

***Edit***
Now that I've met my 5 post quota I can at last post the video link. Here it is in all its 4 seconds of glory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Nqo3uozPw
Attached Thumbnails
Official Tactical Magazine Release Thread-quick-release-2.jpg   Official Tactical Magazine Release Thread-quick-release-3.jpg   Official Tactical Magazine Release Thread-quick-release-4.jpg   Official Tactical Magazine Release Thread-ruger-quick-release.jpg   Official Tactical Magazine Release Thread-mag-release-function-1-gif.jpg  
ssm likes this.

Last edited by OcularPatdown; 04-10-2020 at 17:00. Reason: Added video.
OcularPatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:44   #758

If it works, it works. Good idea to use the Allen wrench. Usually, they are made with good steel.

kwg
ssm and OcularPatdown like this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 15:18   #759

Switched back to the factory releases as the extended releases I installed turned out to be trash.
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 16:45   #760

Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
Switched back to the factory releases as the extended releases I installed turned out to be trash.
Really? Did you install the type that 45K20E4 designed? They looked sturdy from the pictures. I thought the idea was so genius that I created a Perfect Union account just to get info on how I could get one for myself. Sadly, it did not pan out for me. :-p
Old 04-10-2020, 16:59   #761

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
If it works, it works. Good idea to use the Allen wrench. Usually, they are made with good steel.

kwg
I can't take any credit for the idea but I thought it was pretty clever too. I just felt I had to get out in front of the issue. I don't know if you knew this, but sometimes gun people can be a little elitist in their responses. :-D
Old 04-10-2020, 17:09   #762
Glass Half-Full Member

IMO the factory release couldn't be easier... once people figure out to use the front edge of their trigger finger as Ruger designed it, and NOT the thumb of either hand. The Ruger way keeps your trigger hand on the stock and near the trigger for fast recovery.

Figure 11 demonstrating the Ruger way of magazine release in the Ruger Instruction Manual for 2016 for all Minis of all calibers, Page 19. (That's the way I've always done it. It wasn't in any of the manuals back then. It just felt intuitive as I handled my Mini-30 for the first time with high capacity mags)

One of the better modifications I've seen was made by Perfect Union Member Misfire51 by welding some metal onto the existing release. It enhances the Ruger way of operating the release by making it a bit longer for leverage, and bringing it a bit closer to to trigger finger. I've been planning on doing a similar mod myself, but the stock release works so easily for me it's not at the top of my modification list.

Attached Thumbnails
Official Tactical Magazine Release Thread-mag-release1.jpg  
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 21:16   #763
ssm

I like the two releases I got here. One was a left-hand extended to use with a Choate folder. That one was a thumb release. The standard right hand release - I use my trigger finger. That said - I can see where Beck is coming from. That's the way I did mag changes shooting my old M1A in high power and over the NM course. Then again - I ended up going back to my Garands - both 7.62 and '06. No need to remove empty mag. PING! Now I'm too old to shoot high power gas guns and never wanted to go over to the match AR platforms which now dominate. YMMV.
ssm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:50   #764

Originally Posted by OcularPatdown View Post
Really? Did you install the type that 45K20E4 designed? They looked sturdy from the pictures. I thought the idea was so genius that I created a Perfect Union account just to get info on how I could get one for myself. Sadly, it did not pan out for me. :-p
https://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/R...ne-Release.php

I had the above. My OE and Ruger Mini 14 mags did not want to lock in and stay locked in. So I went back to to the factory release. Perhaps different types of extended releases work I dunno. Just stating my experience with that brand.
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:25   #765

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post

kwg
As an alternative, I'd recomend using a torx key since the main body is usually round. If you cut off the torx ends, no one would know what it started life as but you'll still get good steel as a starting point.

But if I'm honest, it looks like this type of extended bar would be easy to bump and snag on things. Can anyone give feed back on whether they've used them while in thick brush. Some of the cat tails and groves of willows I have to snake through when hunting will catch on anything and everything
jumpluff and Bepe like this.
Coletrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 13:50   #766
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by Coletrain View Post
... But if I'm honest, it looks like this type of extended bar would be easy to bump and snag on things. Can anyone give feed back on whether they've used them while in thick brush. Some of the cat tails and groves of willows I have to snake through when hunting will catch on anything and everything
I've never tried the setup they're discussing here, but my first thought about snag issues in the field was the same as yours. I'm sure Ruger made the mag release low profile and out of the way to reduce the chances of inadvertent mag ejection. IMO Ruger got it about right. Their only error was omitting high cap mag insertion/ejection instructions in civilian operating manuals until recently. Some of us intuitively guessed the preferred method and others didn't.
jumpluff and Bepe like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:25   #767
Suck it Leftists!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205 (002).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	56622

I feel fortunate that I was able to get one of the 45K20E4 mag releases. I don't have the need to do quick change mags and don't plan on dragging the Mini through the jungle. Intuitively for me the 45K20E4 mag release just feels more natural. I agree with Beck that the Ruger OEM is the best design and choice for most people.
kwg020 likes this.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:33   #768

Originally Posted by Beck View Post
IMO the factory release couldn't be easier... once people figure out to use the front edge of their trigger finger as Ruger designed it, and NOT the thumb of either hand. The Ruger way keeps your trigger hand on the stock and near the trigger for fast recovery...
I have no problem with using the front edge of my trigger finger to press the release lever. With the muzzle angled down, empty magazines fall free, cleanly. I have practiced "speedloading" the Mini 14, and the best way I have come up with is: tightly tuck the body of the stock under the right armpit (muzzle pointing slightly down), while cupping the trigger guard with the right hand and supporting the forend with the left hand. Move the right index finger forward and press the magazine release. As the magazine drops, move the left hand off the forend to the magazine pouch, and retrieve a full magazine. Insert the magazine and lock it into place. 20 round mags are the easiest to cup, rock, and lock. After magazine is in place, either: tilt the rifle slighly to the left and use left hand to pull back slide handle to release bolt, or: grasp forend with left hand and pull back/release slide handle with right hand.
firescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:04   #769

[QUOTE=Beck;1620908]IMO the factory release couldn't be easier... once people figure out to use the front edge of their trigger finger as Ruger designed it, and NOT the thumb of either hand. The Ruger way keeps your trigger hand on the stock and near the trigger for fast recovery.

Figure 11 demonstrating the Ruger way of magazine release in the Ruger Instruction Manual for 2016 for all Minis of all calibers, Page 19. (That's the way I've always done it. It wasn't in any of the manuals back then. It just felt intuitive as I handled my Mini-30 for the first time with high capacity mags)

Same for me. Never needed any modifications. Works great as it is.
grayfox2013 is offline   Reply With Quote