Mini 30 Review - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 15:57   #26

Range report

RANGE REPORT: I took the Mini out again yesterday and fired approx 60 rounds off-hand at various distances. The Mini performed flawlessly and never jammed, miss fired or hickuped once. My girl friend shot 30 of the 60 rounds, so I was even more pleased to see the gun working as designed. I did lots more work on the gun in the polishing department. I noticed that the bolt was very sticky in the receiver. When you pull back the bolt to load the first round, the bolt would rub and grab much more than I felt was acceptable, so I took some fine emery cloth and worked on the bolt slide in the top of the receiver. I then took my dremal and polished until the finish was MUCH smoother than stock. Now, when I pull back the bolt to load the first round, there is almost NO friction and she runs as smooth as butter. Check out the photos below:
Attached Thumbnails
Mini 30 Review-img_0977.jpg   Mini 30 Review-img_0981.jpg  
datatools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 13:04   #27
Registered Member

Feeling better.....

Hi Everyone,

Am I glad I stumbled across you folks, after all the negativity of web content I stumbled across regarding the Mini 30, which lo and behold magically seemed to appear AFTER my purchase. This of course laid doubt to the validity of my purchase. In other words, did the weapon I purchased to one day help me with the ZOMBIE Apocalypse turn out to be a lemon? Will all that 7.62 x 39 mm ammo lying around after the fall of man be worthless to me?? Please no comments on the upcoming Z A, I still believe I can take out the undead with a well placed shot!!

I realize this is a dated, but I just registered today and discovered questions for my questions on this thread.
I’ve had my new MINI 30 for about 4 months now and have been encouraged by what you folks have written here.

FWIW, I do truly like the look and feel the MINI 30 and intend keep it to pass on in the will. I’m also not a gun aficionado like the rest of you, but I’m certainly not a newb to rifles.

My first concern came along with the “corrosive” ammo issue. That GLARING note in the Manual, plus all the hoopla on the web. So my first 300 rounds through the gun were Fiocchi. It ate that like candy (just like people on different sites mentioned), seemed to sight in fair enough as well. However I can use improvement on that, and I don’t mean the gun, but my feel for it.

I got the Fiocchi from Cheaperthandirt (still on the ammo pricing learning curve) for ~.48 round(?). Then my brother picked me up 500 rds of Wolf for $145. I averaged 3 out of 5 misfires, no real jams though. Man was I disappointed. FWIW, I did not know it was safe/smart to attempt rechambering the misfires.

After examination, the indentation primers on ones that did fire appear identical in to the indentations on the primers of the Fiocchi. The Wolf misfires appeared to be push in and ballooned(?). I have no idea what that means, and it looked scary enough not to want to rechamber the round.
So, in reading here, it seems like I can modify the gun for Wolf ammo using a “Wolf spring upgrade for both the trigger and recoil”

What is that and where do I get it?

Will it still allow me to use any ammo?

Back to “corrosive” ammo issue….I see a lot of you have used it and subsequently clean your weapon with a solution of ammonia. I’ve seen LOTS of different methods posted. Hot sudsy water, ammonia bath, Windex down the barrel to mention a few. I have just been offered a 1000 rnds for a decent price of steel /lacquered 123 gr. White Box, made in Germany, Berdan primed, which I’m sure is corrosive. What do I do??

Every gun I’ve owed I clean the gun after each and every use, I make it part of the whole “Shooting Day” ritual. A nice cigar, the smell of gun oil, running the patches…you get the picture. I see some people don’t clean after each use, and that’s okay too. I just learned not to put my horse away wet. Again, I enjoy the cleaning part too (wind down time)
So the question is, do I need to do the “corrosive” ammo cleaning step right after I finish firing for the day, or can I wait the 40 minute drive home from the range? I don’t see getting hot water at the range!
Would running a few patches of ammonia down the barrel and wiping the bolt face suffice until I get home for a more thorough cleaning/disassembly? I guess I’m looking for an answer from a long time “corrosive” ammo user with a method that’s shown no ill effects after years of use.

Or where do I find “Windex” tips?

Finally, I like the MINI 30 so much, I’m thinking the 14. Lose the stock and set that puppy up “Commando” Style with red dot for red target acquisition!

I'll continue to roam the board but if anyone has any favorite threads, please point them out.

Then when the ZOMBIE Apocalypse hits, I use the 14 for close order within 100 yds, reach out and touch em to inside 300 yds with the 30 (use that to hunt for food as well).

Now what do you folks recommend for the ZOMBIES at 300 yds plus, a high caliber M77??

Thanks!!
“Sub” Ed

Last edited by Laika26X; 08-05-2010 at 13:07.
Laika26X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 13:17   #28

From what I've done, don't leave it overnight, get it done when you get home. BTW, most new ammo is safe, no need for special cleaning.

BTW, for long distance zombies, snag a Remington 700 in .308 and have a quality scope put on. If you ever get into long distance shooting, most folks are running that combo out to 1000 yards.

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2010, 13:36   #29

Hey Laika26x,

I too, recently purchased a Mini 30, and am currently sweating out the 10-day waiting period as mandated by my local feudal lord, Sir Arnold, Duke of Sacramento.

As far as using corrosive ammo, I got my start in the shooting sports with milsurp rifles. That was all I could afford back then, and so I became a connossieur of them, particularly the Mosin-Nagant rifle, of which virtually all of the ammo for is corrosive.

I suppose waiting an hour or two coming home from the range wouldn't be that bad for your gun, but of course, the longer you wait, the worse it could be. My method was always to bring a bottle of Windex with me to the range when I shot my Mosins. Boiling water works fine too, but the whole point with corrosive ammo is simply to get the corrosive salts left behind from the primers out of the bore and action. To that end, anything that will dissolve the salts will work. Water dissolves salts, solvents and other oil-based products do not. That is why, even after you clean a gun in the normal way with solvent and oil, the corrosive salts could still reside in the barrel.

So why boiling water or Windex? Well, boiling water, by virtue of being very hot, will tend to evaporate quickly, so as not to leave behind moisture which is the bane of carbon steel (or even stainless). Windex, while containing ammonia which nominally helps in dissolving salts (as well as having better cleaning properties than plain old water), is mostly water, while it's ammonia and other chemicals help evaporate it quickly also.

My cleaning method at the range was, after letting other barrel cool, squirting some windex down the bore, spraying windex on the bolt face, then wait a minute or two. Soak a patch, run it down the bore. The patch should come out black. Repeat this procedure until the patches start coming out clean (relatively speaking). The bolt face can be wiped down at this point, although I usually made it a practice to disassemble the bolt and spray down the firing pin as well. Then, clean with solvents and oil as usual.

I think, with corrosive ammo, however, a semi-auto action is simply a major PITA. The gases go everywhere, forcing you to clean every surface the gases might have touched. That's a big reason I was so reluctant to shoot my SVT-40 and eventually sold it. Considering the availability of non-corrosive ammo out there (even if it's the relatively cheap Wolf stuff), I'd shy away from deliberately shooting corrosive ammo in my Mini.
23 Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 22:47   #30

The ammo problems experienced by the OP seem surprising to me. I've had zero problems with Fiocchi. I haven't shot many Sellier & Bellot but no issues there either. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:48   #31

both fiocchi and s&b are both very good. boxer primered.
no boxer primered ammo made since the '70's is corrosive.
most but not all berdan primed ammo is corrosive and most corrosive has harder primers . afaik any ammo in a 'saardine can' is very likely berdan and corro-primered, most berdan primers are harder than boxer simply because they are made to prevent slam-fires in automatic weapons.
rinse off residue from corro ammo asap aftrer fireing, squirt onto bolt face, down the bore well and the gas pipe/piston/op rod. windsheils washer fluid does great for this. then clean as usual.
2 more euopean makes are lapua and sako - both non-corro brass cased and lapua is the best I've shot in my M30 with sako right with it. the last I bought was berdan primered so not reloadable, at least easily.
there is yugo brass cased mil-surp available which is good stuff but the berdan primers are corrosive in it. it's good stuff though besides that. I shot couple boxes, shoots good.
Marlin 45 carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 13:06   #32

Thinking about the mini thirty and just a few questions .
factory 19 or 20 round mags available?
Good place for low cost non corrosive ammo?
Best price around for a mini 30?
Thnx
awmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 13:16   #33

Originally Posted by awmp View Post
Thinking about the mini thirty and just a few questions .
factory 19 or 20 round mags available?
Good place for low cost non corrosive ammo?
Best price around for a mini 30?
Thnx
factory 19 or 20 round mags available? Yes, 20rd Ruger mags avalible for as low as $24.99
Good place for low cost non corrosive ammo? Cabelas has brass, boxer primed x39 ammo for $6.99/20. Having said that I buy Fiocci at Sportsmans Warehouse for $12/20
Best price around for a mini 30? Can't help you with this one.... You just need to keep your eyes open. I paid $720 for my 580 that came from Ruger with a 20rd Mag
Old 08-09-2010, 05:13   #34
Wil

Back to the Windex discussion...

I am in to Black Powder Cartridge Rifle (BPCR), using a Sharps in 45/90. One of the secrets to good accuracy is to avoid petroleum based lubes and cleaners, since it is key to avoid ruining the "seasoning" in the barrel.

Windex cleans black powder fouling almost like magic. If there are any doubts about the ammonia base, then try Windex with vinegar. It works just as well. Spray it down the barrel, push a patch, and watch the mud slide.

Windex w/ Vinegar is a very popular cleaner in BPCR, but it is usually cut further with distilled water or mixed one of the hundreds of other Secret Mystery Recipes.

Don't mean to ramble...just trying to fill in some Windex usage background.

Wil
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:28   #35

SsssHhhhhh

Super secret black powder and corrosive ammo cleaner!

Moose Milk,... black powder cleaner

-1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap
-1/3 hydrogen peroxide
-1/3 rubbing alcohol
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:00   #36
Wil

Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
SsssHhhhhh

Super secret black powder and corrosive ammo cleaner!

Moose Milk,... black powder cleaner

-1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap
-1/3 hydrogen peroxide
-1/3 rubbing alcohol
Oh well just GREAT! There goes THAT secret!!!
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:55   #37
Registered Member

Ruger Mini 30 Tactical

Originally Posted by datatools View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and new to the Mini 30 as well. I purchased my SS M30 581series with tappered barrel a few weeks ago and I've put approx 1200 rounds through it. I figured now is a good time to post my personal finding.

First off I would like to say that I LOVE this gun. Its my favorite gun in my small collection, and its just a blast to shoot. I purchased the Mini 30 because I wanted a rifle I could use for hunting, so that excluded the Mini 14 and by the sounds of it the Mini 6.8 is a trial round and may not be around for long. When I picked up my Mini at Wholesale sports they had a whole pallet of 1120 round boxes of ammunition. The ammo came in a nice wooden crate and was sealed inside the wood crate like a can of tuna. The outside of the crate has only one marking and it says 7.62x43. The salesman assured me this is the ammo for the Mini 30, so I bought 2 cases. He told me it is Russian surplus and was made by a company called Sel & Bel. When I got home I measured the ammo and compared my findings to the Wikipidia dimensions for the 7.62x39 and found my bullets to be a perfect match...so I'm not sure why the box is marked as so. This ammo is steel cased kind of shiny grey in color with full metal jacket bullets. The primers are black.

The first day I received the gun I went straight out to my favourite shooting spot and fired off 180 rounds. I had no problem sighting in the iron sights, and found that I really liked the ghost ring sighting system. I found it very quick and easy to aquire my target, and although I wasent going for maximum accuracy I was surprised how well I was able to shoot with this gun. It immediately felt very comfortable and fit me well. Off hand shooting is excellent and the weight/feel of the gun is very nice. In some ways I wish the synthetic stock was 1" longer, and that would make it a perfect fit for me.

Now for a little of the bad news. Right out of the box with the Sel&Bel ammo I had all sorts of issues. Lots of miss fires, like at least 1 in every five rounds, which I can understand due to the hard primers. I would pickup the missfired bullets and feed them through again. They would always fire the 2nd go around. Quite often I would fire the first shot out of the five shot clip and the bolt lock would engage on its own so the 4th round would not load. Sometimes the bolt would just skim over the next bullet in the mag and nothing would feed. Othertimes a bullet would get "stove piped" and jammed sideways in the gun. These problems happend LOTS, and it was rare that I could get 5 clean shots off without some kind of issue. However, I could see lots of potential in the gun and took it upon myself to fix these issues one by one.

I started by adjusting the feed lips on the magazine, just a little at a time. I would adjust, then fire a few mags through. Adjust again and fire a few more mags through. Adjusting the magazine made a big difference and the problem with the bolt failing to feed a round disappeared. But very often the bolt lock would engage after the first shot was fired. So I ended up taking my dremal and grinding a bit of metal off the bottom of the ejection piece right where the bullet touches it when in the mag. I also took the bolt stop spring and stretched it a little to make it stronger. This completely fixed the bolt stop auto locking issue, and it hasent happened again since this fix. As for the misfires, I took the firing pin out of the bolt and filed down the back of the bolt just a little bit. I did this so that when the hammer strikes the firing pin it has a little more room to puch the pin before hiting the end of the bolt. This helped alot, but it didnt cure the problem. I now get approx 1 missfire in 15 which is lots better than 1 in 5. I ordered the Wolf hammer spring, but I havent received it yet. I'm hoping this fixes the misfire problem.

I'm very happy with the accuracy of my gun, but I dont care if it will thread a needle at 200 yards. I have no problem keeping a 6" group at 100 yards while firing and aiming as quickly as possible. I finding shooting with the irons to work well and I dont plan to put any type of scope on it.

Overall I love the gun but I'm disappointed with the reliability. If the Wolf spring fixes the missfire issue, they only other problem I'm still having is the occasional "stove pipe" misfeed issue. Trying different type of ammo is very difficult for me. I live in Northern Canada and all the local shops in my area havent even heard of the 7.62x39 round. I've tried to find a Canadian dealer to get other ammo, but I hevent had much luck yet.

I'll continue to post my finding on this gun, and I'm looking for any feedback on how I might solve the misfire and stovepipe issues. As well as find a Canadian dealer to buy "good" ammo.
ddot5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:59   #38
Registered Member

For The last few years i have been think about purchasing a assault rifle. I don't know how gun laws in canada. I Live in Maryland, US. The Gun Laws in this state are stupid. The 3 hardest states in America New Jersey, Maryland, California. I got a chance to shoot a Mini-14. It was fun but wanted more punch! After Comparing Prices WASR-10, AR-15, MINI.
I Purchased My Mini30 Tactical In Feb. 2012. Bought A butler creek folding stock for it. And A Bunch Off Cheap TulAmmo 7.62x39. You Said Yours has the 5 round mag? Mine Came with a 20 round factory. Loop Hole. In Maryland you can only purchase rifles with ten round mags. Bought Mine In Neighboring state Delaware. First ten rounds the bolt failed to seat, as you said. After Slamming it harder when cocking fixxed that after 100 rounds i had NO JAMs other than dud rounds(Cheap Ammo) The Ammo You Said you have is more than likely Soviet Union Military Surplus. Tul Ammo Is samething. You should try other brands of ammo IF YOU CAN GET THEM. I have Appr. 400 Rounds thru it, i bought 3 extra 20 round factory mags from ruger. I can Let off All four clips 80 rounds with out a gun malfunction. Just My Opinion Tho

BTW Butler creek stock sucked for fast shooting. cracked my handgaurd. Want the ARCHANGEL KIT
ddot5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 14:32   #39

welcome to the Mini page for the newbys
Old 06-05-2012, 20:43   #40

I was very exicited when I got my mini 30 a few years back bought a thousand rounds of wolf ammo loaded my magazine worked a shell in the chamber and bang. The next round went click and I worked another round in and click again I was so frustrated.
AK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 17:06   #41

Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I was very exicited when I got my mini 30 a few years back bought a thousand rounds of wolf ammo loaded my magazine worked a shell in the chamber and bang. The next round went click and I worked another round in and click again I was so frustrated.
I am new to the Mini30 scene myself. My issue was FTF with the factory 5 rnd mag. Some aftermarket 20 rnd mags work perfectly, but they hold the rounds more loosely than the factory mag.

After about 300 rnds the Mini is loosening up to where everything is working well now with Yugo ammo.

Sadly, for a rifle in this price range...maybe not expensive by some standards, but certainly not cheap by mine ... the Mini30 takes some breaking in.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 21:52   #42

Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
I am new to the Mini30 scene myself. My issue was FTF with the factory 5 rnd mag. in.
Pier, I had a couple problems with my factory 5 rd. mag too!!! I have a 582 series SS Mini 30 w/ syn stock.

First 5 rds. Two FTF with the silly 5 rd. mag.(5 rd. mag is retired).

Now my 4 Factory 20 rd. mags were great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No problems at all!!!!- Tula, Gold and Silver Bear worked great. I like this rifle. Fairly accurate and easy to handle and shoot! I like having a bigger bullet. Will send to GunDoc for bedding and trigger work.
Old 06-07-2012, 22:00   #43
Pass the Sauurup

I'm enjoying reading all this loving on the mini. Too much hating out there when it comes to mini's, keep spreading the love!
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:48   #44

I've never had any luck withy the admittedly little amount of wolf 'black box' I tryed in my M30. gave to my AK nut-job nephew.
I've read the wolf 'military classic' - the camo box - is a notch better but have'nt tryed.
did try a clip of my nephews 'silver bear', 2 fail to fire but the ones that did fire shot good altho a bit sooty
brass cased has done the best in my M30
Old 06-10-2012, 10:55   #45

To the OP, that Sellier and Bellot is M43 military ball, not 7.62x43. No worries. It was misfiring due to the hard primers for sure, but aftermarket springs usually resolves that. There are lots of places in Canada to pick up decent non corrosive ammo that will function fine in your gun. I have shot cases and cases of that Czech corrosive stuff in my VZ58's with nary a problem. Seeing that your mini 30 is stainless, just flush that sucker with hot water after shooting and then clean as usual. You will have no corrosive issues at all. Congrats on the new gun!
saskcopq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 18:24   #46

Originally Posted by SGT45 View Post
Pier, I had a couple problems with my factory 5 rd. mag too!!! I have a 582 series SS Mini 30 w/ syn stock.

First 5 rds. Two FTF with the silly 5 rd. mag.(5 rd. mag is retired).

Now my 4 Factory 20 rd. mags were great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No problems at all!!!!- Tula, Gold and Silver Bear worked great. I like this rifle. Fairly accurate and easy to handle and shoot! I like having a bigger bullet. Will send to GunDoc for bedding and trigger work.
Yeah, I havent quite figured out why weapons in this price range require "break in". Took forever for my Kahr to settle in.

I have also wondered if the forearm is rubbing enough against the recoil bar -whatever the correct term for that is- to retard the action enough to cause failures.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:07   #47

As previously mentioned for corrosive ammo, Windex Windex Windex.

Wolf Lacquer, CORROSIVE. (pic heavy) - AR15.COM