Civilian Battle Rifles - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 05:17   #26
KMO

One last remark...

I'd prefer not to have to explain on the stand why my defensive rifle looked like a mini bazooka and had the words "Bad to the Bone" stenciled on the stock.
I couldn't see where anyone acknowledged one of the best lines in this thread. Good one dondee...
KMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 15:58   #27

Originally Posted by deftones_213 View Post
I know what you mean about people adding attachments like and weighing the gun down.
OK, now that was just funny and I don't care who you are.

Is there actually a gun under there?
Rastoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 17:01   #28

I'm just catching this thread, and the last two posts beat me to my comments. I'm still chuckling over those.

I've cleared two houses before, but as a civilian. One was a friend's house years back when the alarm went off and the door was open (yes, the police had been by and said it was a false alarm, but she wasn't going in without KNOWING, so I checked every room). The other was my own. If my wife hears a strange noise, she also wants me to check every room, and I oblige. When I've been out of town, she's even done it herself. Of course, when I talk about clearing, I simply mean making sure the place is empty of bad guys.

I don't pretend to know what house clearing is like in the Marine Corps, in combat, but for your own house, you may find the needs and tactics different. For one, it's your house and you know it better than any intruder. For another, you'll probably do so from your bedroom, kitchen, or the like; as opposed to coming into a door and working your way in, you'll already be in and working your way out or through.

Personally, I prefer a .45 pistol given it's better maneuverability/aiming in close quarters. A rifle is more power than I'd need and doesn't justify the lack of maneuverability. Furthermore, many say that .223 lacks knockdown power, while NO ONE says that about .45.

As for lights, I figure I have a big advantage over any intruder because I know the layout by heart, and they don't. Why give them something to aim at, in a place where they're otherwise disoriented and I know every little shadow?
Joe Garibaldi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2008, 17:06   #29
resident operator

Dogs, I swear mine have ESP. Nothing gets by them, best home defense system money can buy. Other than that there ain't no way I am firing a rifle in a house, not only for home safety but for my neighbors safety. There is ammo made for it but say goodbye to your eardrums. I think a shotgun or handgun would be a better choice. My .02.
Butie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 17:38   #30

Hey Joe, good post.
In terms of "knockdown power" a 556 at 10 yards in no slouch and can rip a softball size exit wound with ball ammo.
Like I said ealier my rifles are for outside while my .45 stays by my bed at night.
usmcronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 14:50   #31

God Bless you both, Butie & usmcronin for your service.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 17:41   #32

USMC. Just wanted to say thanks for your service and why has no one said anything about the M1 Carbine as a "inside the house" bad guy removal tool. Even though I keep a .45 available at night I also keep a carbine handy to. The little .30 hp (no Geneva convention for me!) 110 grain going at 1900+ is great at close range, is reliable and easy to maneuver and not as loud as a 556. Several cop buddies carry them in the trunk of their patrol cars in case there is a need for something just a little bit more than a .40 S+W. The potential for excessive penetration is less with the carbine therefore less potential for collateral damage. I wish Ruger would make a smaller version of the mini-14 (Mini-mini-carbine?) and chamber it for the .30 carbine round.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:09   #33
fclight

For inside the house a cheap, short barrel .410 shotgun with big shot ought to do whatever you need especially if you can find one that is pump action. I don't think anyone that isn't suicidal would deliberately hang around after hearing the sound of a shotgun being racked! They aren't too loud either!

A dog is best if you might not be around. A well bred Boxer or Pitbull is some kind of good dog if you're willing to train it to live as a member of your pack and keep it socialized. Don't get one from the hoodlum down the street because they will most likely have personality disorders that you can't train out of them. Get it from a reputable breeder and make it a member of the family. It will protect "the Pack" until it dies in the attempt. Hopefully you'll get there first and as Alpha Dog, fix the problem before it comes to that! They help with preventing break-ins too while you're away!

Our dog-less neighbours have been burglarized but nobody has tried go get in MY place! Our Boxer/Pitbull mix is an angel and loves kids but she'd EAT YOU if you tried to get in without one of us here to calm her down!!

FL
Old 12-07-2008, 11:39   #34

I have a Walker Coonhound and he has a great bark when strangers come around. He has already earned his keep in terms of knowing when to be aggressive.
usmcronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:33   #35

When it comes to home defense and guns/shotguns, y'all need to check this out:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/
Old 12-08-2008, 20:17   #36

The Box O' Truth is one heckuva site. Informative and entertaining.

USMCRonin, I realized that while the thread has focused much on house clearing, there's been little feedback on your original point about the Mini.

Being guilty of this, I thought I'd comment on your original point, which was a good one.

I chose a Mini for very similar reasons. Civilian battles, God forbid they be necessary, are likely to be entirely different from military ones.

The Mini is much more maintable and reliable than an AR/M16/M4, a key for those without relief units, armorers, support, etc. to allow you to take a break to clean. Furthermore, the Mini can fire .223 and 5.56. That allows you to acquire/use many more rounds lying around if commercial supply ceases.

The AKM's would be decent civilian rifles, but their weight and ammo needs give the Mini the edge.

but as a civilian(ugh I HATE saying that)
Respectfully, don't say that, or think it, for that matter. Just say you miss the Marine Corps. Marines are always Marines, right? You've just returned to your original status as a civilian, out of which all Marines come, which they technically retain during their service, and if they make it long enough retire, return to.

You're no less for being a civilian. You're more for being a Marine.

Finally, some teachers in high school were Marines who'd started in Viet Nam with the M-14 and despised the M-16. They'd go on and on about it's durability ("bury it under a river bed, dig it up, shake it out . . . it goes bang"). That's also a large part of why I got a Mini, which is largely the M-14 scaled down to feed 5.56 and .223.
Joe Garibaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:02   #37

The 9mm carbines are easy on the ears and very accurate. Have a Hi point M995, great shooter. My wife is a dead eye shot with it. The sound is close to a .22 lr. Love the Mini 14 stainless, just keep foam earplugs handy. They beat cigarette butts the Army made you wear if you forgot your ear plugs.
jcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 15:06   #38

Originally Posted by ratshooter View Post
I sure wish it would occur to someone like Ruger and Hornady to make a 357 rimmless round (or 357 maximun) and build a mini-14 around it. The load data is already there. It should be a pretty easy job. That would be a hell of a good ranch rifle set up.
I think an M1 Carbine might be exactly what you are describing. I love mine and they have been used for combat, home defense, and short range hunting for decades.
BugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 15:01   #39

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
The 9mm carbines are easy on the ears and very accurate. Have a Hi point M995, great shooter. My wife is a dead eye shot with it. The sound is close to a .22 lr. Love the Mini 14 stainless, just keep foam earplugs handy. They beat cigarette butts the Army made you wear if you forgot your ear plugs.
me and a couple nephews have 9mm carbines, mine is the Marlin Camp, another has the kel-tec and the 3rd has the hipoint. his wifey 'requisitioned' it after her first range trip w/it. she's a dead shot w/it, beverage cans @50yds every shot bounces them around.
we all have 9mm pistols also and I handload hot +P Golden Sabre 124 gr for them. really has some serious 'whack'. a very good HD or urban shtf carbine.
Old 03-17-2012, 18:10   #40
Banned

Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 20:06   #41
W/R

Do you absolutely have to put that picture on every thread? It doesn't really add to any of the conversations.
W/R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 20:40   #42

Originally Posted by W/R View Post
Do you absolutely have to put that picture on every thread? It doesn't really add to any of the conversations.
Yes he does, he's trying his best to ruin the forum. It is getting old. I do admit to taking a few jabs at him, but he was making it so easy, and it was amusing. I just wish he would either grow up and stop or just go away.
Old 03-17-2012, 21:15   #43
Banned

ya you guys are so super survival you can understand why to see what a weapon is gonna take that your gonna stake your life on. You cant imagine it being drooped from 20 ft into the brush. Or you drop it in a stream in sub zero temps while trying to evade, then hopefully it will still work. Or if you have to hide it in the forest. or anything else. You know why because you pussies never leave the fu*ckin house and try anything other than going to the range. You never been outdoors-man and certainly most of you wannabe's never served or had any combat experience.You post the same tips, tricks and ideas year after year. Go back and read some old threads and you'll see what I'm talkin about. So when someone comes along that tried some more daring things and had the cash to waste you do what ? Try to tear them down because you either A: dont agree with there ideas or B: jealous or C: A fu*cking forum commando
I'm sure there are a few of you that are decent on here.

But for those of you that wanna be cu*nts FU*CK you I dont have to prove sh*t to you!

If your reading this moderator and don't like it boot me because I will not succum to as*hole's
Old 03-17-2012, 22:21   #44

I think it's wonderful what you can do with a mini that none of us dare try. In fact, I would love to see a video of your new mini 30 tactical being bashed against a tree.. for scientific purposes of coarse. Your experiments could be very valuable to this community and perhaps even the Ruger Company itself! Wouldn't that be exciting to hear from them on your great accomplishments!! So lets get busy and start reviewing some video!!
I'm so excited!
KingANuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 23:10   #45

Originally Posted by W/R View Post
In an attempt to be either funny or annoying, it appears 'Ruger' has put that pic into his signature, so it shows up in every one of his posts. What a waste of bandwidth...
COBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:28   #46
W/R

Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
ya you guys are so super survival you can understand why to see what a weapon is gonna take that your gonna stake your life on. You cant imagine it being drooped from 20 ft into the brush. Or you drop it in a stream in sub zero temps while trying to evade, then hopefully it will still work. Or if you have to hide it in the forest. or anything else. You know why because you pussies never leave the fu*ckin house and try anything other than going to the range. You never been outdoors-man and certainly most of you wannabe's never served or had any combat experience.You post the same tips, tricks and ideas year after year. Go back and read some old threads and you'll see what I'm talkin about. So when someone comes along that tried some more daring things and had the cash to waste you do what ? Try to tear them down because you either A: dont agree with there ideas or B: jealous or C: A fu*cking forum commando
I'm sure there are a few of you that are decent on here.

But for those of you that wanna be cu*nts FU*CK you I dont have to prove sh*t to you!

If your reading this moderator and don't like it boot me because I will not succum to as*hole's
I'll answer this with several points:

1. I did not attack your ideas or you personally, I merely pointed out that posting this ridiculous picture on every thread isn't necessary so I'm not sure why you went on a rant;

2. Since you brought it up by stating "you pussies never leave the fu*ckin house and try anything other than going to the range. You never been outdoors-man and certainly most of you wannabe's never served or had any combat experience" for the record I have 5 overseas deployments (2 as an infantry soldier, 2 as a sniper and 1 in a recon unit) in Somalia, Rwanda, Former Yugoslavia and twice to Afghanistan (wounded twice) so I sort of take offence to that statement. As you do not know the background of everyone that posts here, posts like this only serve to highlite your own insecurities;

3. By all means if you have something meaningful to say please do so
but as I stated in my OP, your picture doesn't really bring anything to the conversation so please leave it out;

4. and finally GROW UP! please.
W/R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:46   #47
Banned

Originally Posted by Ghost in the Machine Gun View Post
USMC. Just wanted to say thanks for your service and why has no one said anything about the M1 Carbine as a "inside the house" bad guy removal tool. Even though I keep a .45 available at night I also keep a carbine handy to. The little .30 hp (no Geneva convention for me!) 110 grain going at 1900+ is great at close range, is reliable and easy to maneuver and not as loud as a 556. Several cop buddies carry them in the trunk of their patrol cars in case there is a need for something just a little bit more than a .40 S+W. The potential for excessive penetration is less with the carbine therefore less potential for collateral damage. I wish Ruger would make a smaller version of the mini-14 (Mini-mini-carbine?) and chamber it for the .30 carbine round.
i agree i had been waiting for them to do that for awhile but just recently boke down and got couple 30's
Old 03-18-2012, 06:22   #48

Hey usmcronin I glad to hear some one else tell these folks who think there minis and ARs are the ultimate home defence . They dont want to shoot them inside. super sonic round are hard on the ears. mine ring all the time.
plumbernater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:25   #49
Banned

every gun is loud inside exception a pellet gun. try shooting one inside. especially a pistol smartie.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:31   #50

Originally Posted by plumbernater View Post
Hey usmcronin I glad to hear some one else tell these folks who think there minis and ARs are the ultimate home defence . They dont want to shoot them inside. super sonic round are hard on the ears. mine ring all the time.
Gotta watch out.. 'Ruger' necro'd an already necroed post. Don't feed the trolls.