My first post - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2005, 14:45   #1

Hey guys, just thought I'd make my first post after lurking here for a couple of months. I've read quite alot about improving accuracy and came across a unique situation. I have a mini 14 that I was less than pleased with the accuracy. Performed some of the tips & tricks found on this site with little improvement.

Stock Gun: 4 in groups at 50 yards

Mods have been:

Choate stock with bedding - 4 in groups at 50 yards
Ulitmak Scout Scope Mount & 2x Scope - 3 in groups at 50 yards

Now here is the unique item; I took off the front sight completely and now my 50 yard goups are 1 and 1/4 inches at 50 yards. I'm happy but everything I've read so far has indicated that I needed to add weight to the barrel not take it away.

What gives? Do I quit here or try to go to a more rigid barrel arrangement with one of the add on barrel stabilizers?

Oh, by the way, all groups were shot with 60 gr sierra HP I handloaded with H335 powder which is a 1/2 MOA load in my AR.
xsmbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 17:01   #2

Should be better groups, Ruger has a 2 inch max at 50 yard policy. You might want to sent gun back to them.
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 17:14   #3

Not that I don't have faith in Ruger (I own 4 handguns and 3 rifles) but it just seems odd that taking weight off the muzzle improved the accuracy on such a whippy or is that wimpy barrel. I've got thoughts on how I will go about stiffening the barrel and I just love tinkering things. I just thought someone on the list might have come across this before.

Sam

Old 11-24-2005, 00:48   #4

Maybe, for whatever reason, the front sight was creating stress on the barrel, & by removing it, you relieved the stress. Just a thought.

sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:52   #5

You might try to gap your gas block evenly and take your trigger group out and wiggle your reciever to see how much play there is. You can tighten the play up with bedding or shimming with brass or metal strap. If you like to tinker with guns the mini is a good one, it needs alot of tinkering. If you don't want to tinker to much you can send to Gundoc, Mike W Knifong, ASI, or Clarke Custom Guns. Lots of ideas in the tips and tricks section and the links you'll get alot of good ideas. Keep asking questions and we'll give answers.

-good luck tri
Old 11-25-2005, 21:49   #6

take the front sight off, add a small shaft collar (40-55 grams), locate it 2" from the gas block and try it again.

Worked ok for my mini. The weight didn't work anywhere near the muzzle, doesn't make sense but the 2" location is the sweet spot on mine.
guncats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:19   #7
Banned

Worked ok for my mini. The weight didn't work anywhere near the muzzle, doesn't make sense but the 2" location is the sweet spot on mine
On my Mini-30 the sweet spot for my Biathlon Stabilizer is just in from of the gas block as well. Moving it up towards the muzzle is no different than removing it completely.

http://www.henrich3.com/biathalon_stabilizer.htm
steve4102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 14:50   #8

Welcome to the forum xsmbuc. Taking the front sight off will change the harmonics of the barrel. You may get better results with different ammo. The ammo your using for your ar, may not be the best for your mini, or another ar. Each barrel/chamber is different. Many have pinned on a cheep muzzle brake, and most often it cut groups in half. It worked for me.

cajungeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:55   #9

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll try the barrel collar first since it is the simplest and I'l let you know about the change in accuracy.

i will probably try to work up a load just for the mini too. Any of you guys have a suggestion as to bullet weight?

Sam