Mini-14/30 Magazine Links - Page 9 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2019, 09:26   #201

The AR market has a lot of magazines available and they have the advantage of being able to replace followers with non tilt followers. Many of the cheapo aftermarket Mini-14 mags have lousy followers and if we had non tilt ones available,they could be made to work better.

I don't know much about the Mini 30 mags since AK rifles cost less at the time.
uzitiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 13:32   #202
RJF

uzitiger, the OE mag followers can directly be replaced with factor Ruger mag followers: a very simple process, with zero tilting. The combined cost of the OE mag and the followers (including S/H) is much less than the Ruger factory mags and, IMHO, better quality.

Just got six 10-rounders from CDNN/OE with what appears to be the same followers. They loaded up just fine, with no tilting apparent. Should there be a problem, Brownells or Midway will send Ruger followers for a song.

Just loaded up my six with zero problems. Will need to verify with actual shooting, but they are solid - just like their 20-rounder big-brothers - and are better quality (and smaller) than the Masen 10-rounders. And no tilting problems that I can see.
tcsafety likes this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 14:45   #203

Since Tapco is now defunct, their Gen II Mini-14 mags, I predict, will be sought after like PMI and Fed Ord ones. I can't say enough good about the Tapcos, and I do mourn their passing. Glad I have 18 of them.... I find that, even though they are ugly compared to the Ruger Factory, I use them more. No rust, lighter,...

I keep my Ruger factory ones oiled up and in the safe.

Some links to Evals on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJCdgFfhbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_gs9hMpPc

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruge...30rd-mags.html
imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2020, 04:54   #204

I'm glad that Pro Mag is not getting a bad rap which they don't deserve.
My steel and polymer Pro Mag magazines are flawless and drop freely except for the 20 round polymer mag which needed a little sanding to make it drop freely. I tried Thermold mags but one of them had the feel lip break off.

It's a shame that Remington filed for bankruptcy and Tapco was closed as a result. Too bad they didn't sell them off instead. They made good magazines for the Mini-14 along with other products like the AK folding stock.

Has anyone used the Triple K magazines? They are hard to find and are on the expensive side. I didn't know that they are still around until I saw them at the NRA convention last year.

We probably would have better aftermarket magazines if Bill Ruger would have allowed the hi cap magazines to be sold. He would have sold more Mini-14 rifles and we would have a better selection of magazines. Look at how many aftermarket AR-15 magazines are available with non tilt followers. Most of them work well and are inexpensive.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:14   #205

I have Promag drums and mags for my Saiga12 and they work good after some sanding and trimming. Since Tapco is out of the picture I’m hoping that magpul will seize the opportunity if they see that there is a big market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You cannot fulfill your dreams unless you dare to risk it all."
Sniperfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 16:15   #206

I honestly can't believe Magpul has not stepped up. In AR15 mags, they are competing with literally dozens of makers. they certainly have the technology. With the Mini-14, they would only be competing against Promag, Thermold, and Ruger factory.
jumpluff likes this.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:38   #207

Originally Posted by Sniperfox View Post
I have Promag drums and mags for my Saiga12 and they work good after some sanding and trimming. Since Tapco is out of the picture Iím hoping that magpul will seize the opportunity if they see that there is a big market.
I did the same for my Promag Saiga 12 mag. It needed less sanding than the Taiwanese magazine to fit. It works just as well as the factory mag.

I hope someone buys Tapco's tooling and brings back their products including the Mini-14 mags.
jumpluff likes this.
Old 06-11-2020, 17:43   #208

I will add that it is easier to load the Tapcos on a closed bolt, if it only has 28 rounds in it. With 30, it tends to pop the top round loose while you load. Open bolt, they work fine with 30. I will say, that I had the same problem with a couple of my Ruger factory 30s, loaded to the top.

Loading to 28 seems to be a decent practice, anyway, and that is what I have done with my AR mags since my days in the big green machine in the 1970s, and as an LEO, i only loaded 28 in my M1 Carbine and Mini-14 30 rounders. The 20 rounders for all (15 in the M1), though, I load to full capacity.