Mini 30 won't fire surplus ammo - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 16:18   #26

I was told by a friend that silver/gold bear is the only surplus he can get his mini-30 to shoot.

Might want to give that a shot if you haven't already.
GDKPIKPWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 20:47   #27
Registered Member

stand corrected in my stating sks was "cheap". definitely the wrong word used. love that gun. have an "inexpensive" yugo that shoots great. eats everything. has never malfunctioned on me. leaks where the gas block meats the tube a little, but doesnt seem to affect it at all. wish my mini was that reliable. Need to contact ruger. see if they have a fix.
ftmrcknrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 13:55   #28

mini-30 milsurp ammo issues.

This is the first time I've ever posted anything. I've been shooting for about 30+ years, and have had a ruger mini-30 for about 20 yrs. There was nothing more frustrating than having that first deer in my sights with my new mini-30, pulling the trigger and hearing "click." Russian ammo my father-in-law gave me from his cache of ak reserves. 2-3 more tries and the deer was long gone. I called ruger, they told me there was a difference in the conical shape of the casing and bullet between milsurp, and commercial ammo. At one of the shot-shows, a technician for ruger stated it had to do with the machine gun primers. I wondered about this since 1 out of 3 usually fired. I found that wolf makes 7.62x39 stamped "made to hunting specifications." I bought about 2000 rounds and it functions flawlessly. After seeing several websites about this ammo issue, I had a gunsmith look at my mini-30 receiver. He stated these rifles are mass produced and the channel for the firing pin is reverse drilled and it causes a ridge in the receiver face. This causes the dimple and primer to not fire. I would suggest before changing parts and doing garage gunsmithing, take your mini-30 to a competent gunsmith, he/she can shear the bolt face without destroying the head space. Your mini-30 should then be able to fire milsurp ammo. Best of luck!
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
squdwiggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2017, 04:16   #29

squidwiggle, welcome to the forum. Maybe next time,just start a new thread, rather than resurrect a 13 year old one.
The crater around the firing pin hole on the bolt face doesn't help, it should be removed if one is present.
A longer firing pin can be fitted, quality ones are available from firingpins.com
Don't fit a heavier hammer spring, without a longer firing pin, a heavier spring will just add a lot of stress to your factory firing pin.
Or just don't shoot Tula/Wolf ammo. Red army Standard or MFS are just as cheap and the Mini will fire it much more reliably.
Sorry, I get riled when people insist on using Tula, then badmouth the Mini because it won't ignite 100%. Don't use Tula, it's the junkiest ammo out there.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:32   #30

Sandog, thank you, I'm new to the post/thread/blog thing appreciate the patience and direction. I noticed fiocchi is putting out brass with "box" primers at a reasonable price. Next gun show I'll pick some up and try it.
sandog likes this.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:08   #31

I use PPU (Privi Partisan). made in Serbia, excellent quality "mid priced" ammo.
Beck and tcsafety like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 14:45   #32

And if you don't mind cleaning the mini, Yugo surplus is also 100% bang every time. It uses corrosive primers. It just may not be as available now as it once was. I was paying about 35c per round in case quantities. And it comes on stripper clips!
Marlin 45 carbine and sandog like this.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 17:12   #33

Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
And if you don't mind cleaning the mini, Yugo surplus is also 100% bang every time. It uses corrosive primers. It just may not be as available now as it once was. I was paying about 35c per round in case quantities. And it comes on stripper clips!
Yugo M67 is excellent Ammo if you don't mind the extra cleaning steps. Back when I was with the Texas State Guard, we bought it by the pallet.

If anyone is interested, SGAmmo presently selling it in the original 1120 Rd can, inside the wooden crate for .32 per round. Shipping is $28 which may sound high, but hey...we're talking almost 50 pounds of stuff..

DGW
DGW1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 22:21   #34
Registered Member

Smile OldGringo

Had a Mini14 I carried in a police car and as a park ranger starting in 1977, mine has the bicentennial 1976 language on it. Then after Desert Shield/Storm I bought my self a mini 30 as a return home present. The 1994 assault rifle ban was coming and did hit in 1994. So I wanted to make it my go to gun. Shot a big whitetail, as I recall in was 48 inches around the chest, same as me. Got full penetration and about a 2 inch exit whole, about the same as with my 30-06, so I have been sold on the caliber since. Now the Russian ammo. Mine would not shoot the hard primers so I tried to get Ruger to fix it. Their policy will not touch it, they only will guarantee it to shoot quality ammo. It shoots about 1 inch group with Remington. Now, I own AKs, Sks, a mini-mauser and an AR 7.62 x 39. Same thing with the AR, will not always shoot the hard primer stuff. So, I put new spring kits in the MIni30 and a enhanced firing PIN in the AR. The AR is 100% and the Mini is 99%. However, the smartest fix I found was Siliver Bear Ammo. It is 100% in every gun, very clean and shoots very well. Ruger told me they would never warrant those guns to shoot any foreign ammo. good luck and try some of the silver bear, it is nice shiny nickelled brass that should never rust or tarnish.
OldGringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:02   #35

Originally Posted by squdwiggle View Post
...There was nothing more frustrating than having that first deer in my sights with my new mini-30, pulling the trigger and hearing "click." Russian ammo my father-in-law gave me from his cache of ak reserves. 2-3 more tries and the deer was long gone...
Hmmmmm. I can't even imagine going hunting with a cheap 'mil surp' ammo. It's not too much for a few boxes of domestic-made, brass case, premium soft point bullet 7.62x39 hunting ammo. In addition to being the most reliable, it will likely be the most accurate and have the best terminal performance on game.

Is FMJ ammo even legal for big game hunting in any of the states? I know Calif specifies soft-nose or expanding bullets for big game.
firescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:46   #36

you're right firescout all states require soft point or HP bullets for game hunting.
exemption of course is BP muzzle-load guns which use cast bullets.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:09   #37

Originally Posted by OldGringo View Post
Had a Mini14 I carried in a police car and as a park ranger starting in 1977, mine has the bicentennial 1976 language on it. Then after Desert Shield/Storm I bought my self a mini 30 as a return home present. The 1994 assault rifle ban was coming and did hit in 1994. So I wanted to make it my go to gun. Shot a big whitetail, as I recall in was 48 inches around the chest, same as me. Got full penetration and about a 2 inch exit whole, about the same as with my 30-06, so I have been sold on the caliber since. Now the Russian ammo. Mine would not shoot the hard primers so I tried to get Ruger to fix it. Their policy will not touch it, they only will guarantee it to shoot quality ammo. It shoots about 1 inch group with Remington. Now, I own AKs, Sks, a mini-mauser and an AR 7.62 x 39. Same thing with the AR, will not always shoot the hard primer stuff. So, I put new spring kits in the MIni30 and a enhanced firing PIN in the AR. The AR is 100% and the Mini is 99%. However, the smartest fix I found was Siliver Bear Ammo. It is 100% in every gun, very clean and shoots very well. Ruger told me they would never warrant those guns to shoot any foreign ammo. good luck and try some of the silver bear, it is nice shiny nickelled brass that should never rust or tarnish.
Pretty good stuff, but even so, I still get 5 - 10% ftf's with it. So far, my best luck with Russian hunting ammo is the gold bear
Old 03-13-2017, 12:15   #38

Wolf used to make hollow point ammo and in 1995-1996 this stuff was about $99.00 for a case of 1000 rnds. It was legal to use in Kentucky for hunting. Most people who buy a Mini 30 fall into the "milsurp" trap thinking.....new modern rifle, 7.62x39 cheap ammo, where do I go wrong?..... well most find out the hard way. Thanks to info being available at a keystroke now, it's much easier to be informed.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:48   #39

I would stay away from the bi-metal bullets unless you're running a chrome or melonite bore. The jackets are steel. Soft steel, but steel nonetheless.
Guerilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 13:53   #40

I've had fair results with 'silver bear' but still some misfires that second strike usually lit off.
I've yet to do the bolt fact mod but have noticed apparently a raised area around the firing pin hole so it's on the agenda.
oddly enough I've never had any problem with the now banned (by Billary) chi-com mil-surp with the penetrator core. have a couple hundred set back just in case.
40nascar likes this.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:28   #41

Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I would stay away from the bi-metal bullets unless you're running a chrome or melonite bore. The jackets are steel. Soft steel, but steel nonetheless.
You are correct on this. Other than US made, the only other rnds I'm sure of that don't have bi-metal jackets are the Yugo surplus M-67, GECO, PMC, Fiocchi and Lapua. Not sure about PPU, as I have never had any of that

Even the boxer Non-Corrosive S&B has a bi-metal jacket, as do all of the Russian "Bears".

The conundrum for us Mini-30 users is balancing reliability, cost and barrel life. A lot of us are willing to trade off some barrel life to shoot reliable ammo that is less than 40c per rnd. It is just not economical to shoot USA made that costs a dollar per rnd or more. In my mind that really cuts into the fun factor.

Even with the Ammo limitations of the Mini-30. I think it is an excellent platform for a semi-auto hunting rifle in 7.62x39 caliber. It is configured from the start to be optics friendly. As much as I love the SKS's and AK variants, They are not conducive to good optics mounting systems, especially the SKS, which the PRK has deemed as the only mil-surplus option which can currently be marketed where I live.

I can live with the limitations of the mini 30, because I am a reloader, and a hunter. With a little experimentation, its very pleasurable to find out how much accuracy can be squeezed out of an unmodified Ruger.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:01   #42

possibly could come across Sako (Finnish IIRC) and IMI(Israeli) both very good surplus.
from my experience the IMI, Lapua and PMC are the better cases for hand loading.
40nascar likes this.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:55   #43

Originally Posted by guncats View Post
actually a good thing. If your mini's keep on eating wolf non-stop, the pin might not last too long.

SKS's are in-expensive, not "cheap". If SKS is being made in the US it would probably cost more than a mid-grade AR.
I can actually say this is why I do not have a Mini-30. Really how many people buy a 7.62x39 without the intention of shooting cheap steel case ammo through it?

The Mini-30 should be able to shoot it properly and Rugers refusal to make it do so is as confusing as why it took them so long to stiffen the barrel on a Mini-14.

If you want 7.62x39 ballistics but are going to buy premium ammo then you might as well go with a 300AAC.

I do love my SKS's though. I just wish I bought a warehouse full of them back when you could get them for under $100 all day long.
jfeenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:48   #44

a bit off topic but here goes, I recall monkey wards having barrels of them for 59$ back in the '80's.
mine is an early made in russki factory Chinese, arsenal refit.
after some hours tinkering and adding glass a good shooter with silver bear. I got a fair deal on it and hope to realize a profit if/when things nose dive.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:50   #45
RJF

This has got to be a record on thread "life". OP in 2003! The internet was young. Flip phones were about all that was available. DSL was to die for. A year before my newest car was made.

Ahhhh. The Internet is forever!

Marlin, you're forgiven on the off-topic part. Statute of Limitations expired long ago!
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 13:21   #46

at one time if a search was done for 'Ruger Mini 14' this was the top site on the page.
that's one reason I cannot understand the moderators tolerance of disruptive members on this forum. it degrades the forum all over. it ain't like it once was for sure.
RJF likes this.
Old 03-18-2017, 14:47   #47
Operation:Mindcrime

I dont know why Ruger hasnt change, or you guys havent torn the walls down. I wont buy a M30 till they fix it. Illl take a Saiga anyday.
jfeenin likes this.

Theres a revolution calling you!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 16:05   #48

Originally Posted by Scorpion of Mars View Post
I dont know why Ruger hasnt change, or you guys havent torn the walls down. I wont buy a M30 till they fix it. Illl take a Saiga anyday.
Good luck getting one. You do know that Obama banned them.
PFerris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 19:20   #49

Nothing wrong with the M30's, they shoot great and are as reliable as any gun.
sandog likes this.
tri70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 20:27   #50
Glass Half-Full Member

I've shot mostly steel case ammo through my Mini-30 for the 27 years I've owned it and no problems. I did the firing pin upgrade anyway recently just so I wouldn't have any issues in the future with ammo I haven't tried yet. I'm not sure I needed to, but it can't hurt. If newer Mini-30s are failing to fire on a regular basis with steel case then yes Ruger needs to fix that. But you can fix it yourself. I'm no gunsmith, but I was able to fit the new, longer, stainless steel pin very easily. It's worthwhile to me to have the Ruger Mini format over any others. I really don't care for any of the other options. They don't suit me.
John 15:13
Beck is online now   Reply With Quote