New Members Click Here! - Page 4 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 11:34   #76

Hi all!
I found this site about a week ago and really like reading what everyone has to say. This is one of those rare boards where everyone is polite and it is pleasing to see. I'm purchasing my first mini on Friday. Can't wait to send some rounds down range with it! What got me into the mini was I used to shoot one with my friend and his father when i was younger. So after finding this board and doing some research I decided to "pull the trigger" so to speak and buy a mini 14. Its a Blued Ranch brand spankin' new! I will post some pictures when i pick it up.

Im a 21 year old Criminal Justice student with aspirations of getting into law enforcement. Currently I do UC loss prevention for some grocery stores near my school. Making some decent money for a college student. Can't wait to learn more from you guys! I'm sure I will learn a lot!

Mike
MaduroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:50   #77

Originally Posted by MaduroMike View Post
Hi all!
I found this site about a week ago and really like reading what everyone has to say. This is one of those rare boards where everyone is polite and it is pleasing to see. I'm purchasing my first mini on Friday. Can't wait to send some rounds down range with it! What got me into the mini was I used to shoot one with my friend and his father when i was younger. So after finding this board and doing some research I decided to "pull the trigger" so to speak and buy a mini 14. Its a Blued Ranch brand spankin' new! I will post some pictures when i pick it up.

Im a 21 year old Criminal Justice student with aspirations of getting into law enforcement. Currently I do UC loss prevention for some grocery stores near my school. Making some decent money for a college student. Can't wait to learn more from you guys! I'm sure I will learn a lot!

Mike
Welcome aboard Mike. I think you will enjoy your new Mini. Good luck on your career choice. It is an honorable one. There are several LEO's here that I'm sure will be glad to advise and help you. Again, welcome!!

NRA
Vietnam '68-'69 / '71-'72
Disabled American Veterans
Vietnam Veterans of America
Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association
U.S. Army (Ret.)
COBRADOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22   #78

Mike Congrats on the Mini purchase. The ones I have are a pleasure to shoot. They are sturdy and dependable. Also congrats on your choice of careers. We need good Cops for all departments and agencies. Take care and welcome to the forum.
Tinstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2008, 21:23   #79

Exclamation Should I throw my hat in first?

Just another Noob who has rediscovered Mini-14s and has been lurking around this board for some time. I want to thank gundoc for the invite and want to thank everybody in advance for the chance to pick their brains. I had almost succumbed to the siren song of the black rifle but have now refound the way.
I hope to find a "bargain" mini and send it to the "doc" within the month. With luck I'l graduate from parasite to contributor, fairly quickly.

Up the Ducks!
djgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:45   #80

I stumbled on to this forum the other day, and knew I had to Join. I love my Mini, and have been thinking about doing some work on it. With all of the info you have already available, the choices on what to do, and how to do it become much easier. Thank You all for sharing that knowledge.
Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 23:37   #81

YAN (Yet Another Noob)

It has been a day of firsts. Just joined, and this is my first post, just picked up my first Mini-30 (581 all weather), and shot it for the first time. Out of the box, offhand, 6" groups at 100 yards (I suck at iron sights) with Wolf 7.62x39, with a hot barrel. I was interested in the mini-30 back in 1992, but never got around to buying one. I will say that it reminds me a lot of my M1 Garand. I bought 10 Pro-Mag 10 round (California ) magazines and they all functioned perfectly out of the box.

I own a ChiCom SKS and 2 AR's. I also have 2 10/22's, one in .22 WRM and the other in .22 LR, both with Hogue stocks, Volquartsen trigger groups and Magnum Research Graphite barrels.

I am already getting a ton of good information here, and look forward to learning more.

-----------
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
45 GAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 16:18   #82

I found this site while looking for info on how to get my mini 30 to shoot , I like the rifle but accuracy left a lot to be desired. since surfing this site the rifle has been getting a makeover . a lot of great info and knowledge to be gained here . great site .
mainlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:49   #83

Incredible Board! I've wanted a Mini-14 for years and will finally get my hands on one in a few days. I was looking for some info on mags, etc. and stumbled upon this little slice of shooter's heaven! Dude!!!!!
BamaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 13:21   #84
NWO

Welcome to the Board, all you Newbies!

Stay with us and enjoy!

"The AK-47. It'll never jam, never break. Rugged, reliable, and so simple to operate, children could use it....and they do" Yuri Orlov. 'Lord Of War'
NWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 20:17   #85

Hello

First post. I've always liked the way Minis looked and the fact that they don't get as dirty as an AR. I've had ARs but this time I wanted something different so I bought my first Mini-14 yesterday and took it to the range today. It's a 185 series with a beautiful wood forearm and stock with a M14 style flash hider and a 20rd Ruger mag. Really looks like a little mini M14. Shot about 40 rounds of 62gr SS109 Radway Green surplus with flawless function and enjoyed it immensely. This is a great site I've been lurking for years whenever I wanted to check out minis. Glad to finally be a member and have my own mini.
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:59   #86

Glad to have found this place! Looking forward to an extended stay!
I_am_Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 18:54   #87

A hello to all - new kid on the block!

Hello to all!
Nice forum with great info.
MichiganMadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 16:49   #88

got a 181 prefix mini 14

hi and Im glad I found this forum. Its good to find some people not putting them down. I was checking out the accu-strut when I came accross this forum and yall were highly spoke of.
plumbernater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 17:28   #89

I really like this website. I pick up my Mini 14/5 Synthetic/Stainless .223
on Oct. 3rd. Brand new w/ruger scope rings. What a nice rifle. I am itching to
fire off some rounds and get it sighted-in.
STEINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 00:36   #90

'nuther FNG

Hey, everyone!
Lurking a week or so, just bought a stock rancher with Trashco 3X9 to go with my M77 .338, #3 45/70, O3A3 (sportered, unfortunately), Savage 325 30-30, Swede Mauser, Mosin (Finn restamped) in pieces, squirrel poppers and scatter guns. Expect to take a lot out of this sight, 'cuz the coyotes around here are gettin' out of hand! Gotta get some good weather, itchy trigger finger, and my shooting bench (for the 400 yd range, for now) is only 30 yards from the front door, and I've got several different brands and weights to try before the accurizing begins.
Working night shift has advantages, like checking up on this site during quiet times, and being up on days (nights) off to scan the fields! Any suggestions on flash-hiders/muzzle-breaks that keep the night vision mk1gen0 (eyeballs thru scope) from redding out? Any work better than others?

Thanks, and thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 10-17-2008, 22:05   #91

Proud Dad sheds a tear

Hello all, I'm still fairly new to the forum and got my mini earlier this year. The best part of owning a Mini was taking my boy to the range for the first time and throwing lead down range. He handled the Mini with confidence and claims he out scored me too. The pride that ran through my body was a moment I'll cherish for years to come.

Safety First then Git-R-Done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lou McStogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 18:22   #92

Just another newbie. Grew up with gun-nut dad, haven't doodled with weapons for years. Always loved the Mini-14 though, so I went and bought my target edition last weekend and am already making my share of idiot mistakes (like buying a 30mm scope for a gun with comes with 1" rings). Will wander forums for awhile trying to find answers for my idiot questions before I start posting any. Glad to be aboard!
elric13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:09   #93

Lou, Elric,

Welcome aboard.

Lou I know the feeling - been there done that, and now I'm doing it with grandchildren as well. Feels great doesn't it. Where in TN? I grew up in central West TN.

Erlic, you should feel right at home here, because you definatily won't be the only person here that does idiotic things. As a matter of fact, you will probably have to wait in line to get your idiot number. Where in Florida? I live just east of Tampa.

NRA
U.S. Army (Ret.)
Old 10-21-2008, 02:33   #94

Lauderdale area
elric13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:30   #95

Originally Posted by elric13 View Post
Lauderdale area
Again, welcome aboard. I have a son that lives in Coconut Creek.

NRA
U.S. Army (Ret.)
Old 10-24-2008, 06:49   #96

Originally Posted by COBRADOC View Post
Lou, Elric,

Welcome aboard.

Lou I know the feeling - been there done that, and now I'm doing it with grandchildren as well. Feels great doesn't it. Where in TN? I grew up in central West TN.

Erlic, you should feel right at home here, because you definatily won't be the only person here that does idiotic things. As a matter of fact, you will probably have to wait in line to get your idiot number. Where in Florida? I live just east of Tampa.
CobraDoc: I'm in the Memphis area, Shelby County

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lou McStogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:32   #97

'Nother newbie checking in.

I didn't even know there were threads here other than in the sub-forums. I never scrolled down past 'em.
I made a first post in the Accurizing forum: About to Buy Mini-14.
I'm looking at a new blued and wooden stocked Ranch Rifle. Should be a 580 series, but I'm going to check the serial number today to make sure. Probably put it on layaway today.
(There's a Kimber pistol I need to pay off before I'll get to bring my Mini home.)
Old 10-28-2008, 14:45   #98

Hello from Tipton IN (35 mi. north of Indy) !
I've been a member here since 2002 but this is my first post !
I just today got back into Mini -14s with a used GB (184 series) that came with four factory mags (3 still in the box !). I also have 3 as new, unused PMI 30-rounders from my previous Mini-14. It's in a Butler Creek folder with no box or papers but seems to be in very good shape and it also included a new bayonet. Ruger said it shipped in March 1985. I'll try to post a pic in the next few days.
wetidlerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:04   #99

Thumbs up Saying Hello from Honduras!!

Originally Posted by cajungeo View Post
Welcome to the Mini-14/30 Forum New Members. Weather you've been a "Lurker" for a while or Just found us, this Sticky will help you get a jump start on using this forum.

There are 5 sections in the Mini-14/30 Forum:
Gallery - Pics of some awsome Mini's. Post your own Pics. Read Sticky Pic. Posting 101.
Magazine - Magazine related topics. Also contains a Magazine gallery to ID your mags.
Accurizing - Topics related to accuracy.
Shooting Contest - Monthly contest in 2 classes. Enter, it will make you a better shooter.
Mini-14/30 Talk - Other Mini Related topics not related to the other 4.

Sticky - These are important topics or notifications. We even have a Sticky for Vendor links. So please read them.

The group here are from all over the free world. All are helpful. We all have the Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30 in common. We share our knowledge, and opinions freely, but in a polite mannor. Slamming, personal attacks, and foul language will not be tolerated. We do have some Ladies, and young uns aboard.

Before posting a question, Please do a little home work first. If you need help Related on How to search, posting etc. please click on "Help" upper right button. Click on topic related to your question. If your question is how to post a Pic. Ref. Gallery Sticky: Picture posting 101.

Another handy feature to search the Archives back to day 1, is the Search button next to the Help. The Help will give you the details. The "Search" gives you a quick last few days search, while Clicking on "Options" gives you an advanced search options more coverage.

Your question is important, but it may have been asked a jillion times. So searching the Archives will save us from having to answer a jillion times. Remember in the search "Options" Remember to select "Any Date", and which forum you select. Just enter "key words", many related posts will come up on your subject. If you don't find the answer then by all means post it. The only dumb question is the one someone is afraid to ask.

After you've submitted a post. You can choose to "Delete" or "Edit" your post by clicking the appropiate button. A note on Delete: Deleting the first post in a thread will delete the entire thread.

"PM" (private message) using this button will send a private message to the member you select. No one can see your pm except the person you send it to. Use this button to arrange a day at the range with a fellow member, or to answer personal for sale items etc.

So take a little time, get aquainted, and make your self at home. Again Welcome aboard.
Hello shooting friends! Out of ignorance (I type with 2 fingers and have problems to start this computer) I gave a presentation salute in another section of the forum. Nonetheless I like to say I am happy to be able to share my thoughs and humble experiences from Honduras. I have been raised in my native Nicaragua as the grandson of a fine and brave soldier, trained and equipped by the US Marines that have been stationed there, fighting against the opponents to the regimen. My household always had firearms around, and we (the kids) were teached early in the fundamentals of safety and responsibility about them. Same here these days. I have a boy of 11 and a beautiful daughter of 2, and another girl is due on the first days of this december. I love guns and the astonishing potential of the physics involved in them, so I more than having them (only been able to have a few, out of economical reasons) studied them in a very academical manner. As a Physician, that approach to the scientific study of weapons is second nature.
Well, I have bored you enough in this post. May God be with us and help us in keeping our liberty unscathed!
Wish you all great shooting fun!!
MadForWeapons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 20:31   #100

Hey guys, I'm new here and this seems like a great place so far! prompt, helpful replies on my thread. I love my mini and I'm glad I've found a forum where i can avoid all the mini-14 bashing
Exumer2687 is offline   Reply With Quote