Bushnel Trophy - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 06:14   #1

Anyone have any experience with Bushnels? I think my Bushnel Trophy tactical mildot went south on me (after less than 100 rounds).
Old 07-21-2003, 10:53   #2

I have already gone through 2 Bushnell Sportsview scopes. It seems when I put them on heavy cal rifles like a 30-06 or my mini-14 they do not hold up. If I ever come up on a bushnell, I will only put them on my .22's. That's just my opinion, other people I know have had good success with Bushnell, but as for me, I have had nothing but trouble. I paid about $60.00 dollars for the Bushee

blzn69

i bring the brash and flash
blzn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 15:11   #3

I got a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 on my mini and its working fine after a 1,000 rounds so far. I dont have a recoil buffer or gas bushing installed so i'm kinda woried it will take a crap on me.
lib·er·al : Someone so open-minded that their brains fell out.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2003, 18:24   #4

My thinking is if the bushnell is a good scope, why only a 30 day warrentee. I have a sportsview, I&#39;ve had on my deer rifle since 86, but have only fired maybe 200 rds thru it. I replaced it with a new 3-9x40mm Leupold for &#036;179. Warrenteed forever. Not just a lifetime.

cajungeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 19:14   #5

I HAVE A BUSHNELL SCOPECHIEF ON MY MINI AND IT WORKS GREAT SO FAR,I THINK IT HAS A LIFETIME WARRENTY ON IT.
wheels3963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 19:20   #6

I THINK THERE SPORTSVIEW IS THERE LOW END SCOPE,WITH OPTICS YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR,THE BUSHNELL ELEAT 3600 IS A GREAT SCOPE,BUT IT RIGHT UP THERE IN PRICE WITH THE LEUPOLDS.I LOOKED THROUGH A TROUPHY SCOPE AND FOUND IT TO BE A VERY BRIGHT SCOPE,ALLTHOUGH IV NEVER OWEND ONE.SO I DONT KNOW HOW WELL THAY HOLD UP,BUT LIKE I SAY,MY SCOPECHIEF IS DOING FINE,ALLTHOUGH I GOT A RECOIL BUFFER IN MY MINI AND AS SOON AS MY TRIGGER WORKS GETS DONE FROM MIKE I WILL HAVE A SMALLER GASPORT BUSHING TO HELP TO
wheels3963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 19:44   #7

You are correct, you do get what you paid for. I have 2 Springfield scopes that I love and will try to buy only good produsts.

blzn69
Old 07-22-2003, 03:24   #8

I had a Bushnell 3 - 9 on my 10/22, and it had respectable optics, but the crosshairs moved 1.3 moa when zooming, and (even worse) it seemed like it was made with plastic gears and internals that did not take or repeat their adjustments reliably. Brought it back and got a mil-dot Tasco instead, which seems like a better scope for the economy (<&#036;80) buyer. I probably would not buy a Bushnell again.

-- cw
cw2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:10   #9

I&#39;m sure Bushnell makes a good product - but like the rest it&#39;s not gonna be cheap. My gun shop guy told me a good rule of thumb is to get a scope that&#39;s about half to a third of the price of the gun. now, that&#39;s from a guy trying to sell me stuff - but he makes a good point. All that stuff you see in the catalogs for &#036;60 and looking too good to be true, probably is. I like Cajun am a Leupold fan and an Aimpoint red-dot guy. Together they cost about &#036;600 new - worth every penny and maybe could save my butt one day...who knows.
special poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:50   #10

Ive had a lot of experience with Bushnell stuff over the years ( scopes, binoculars, spotting scopes ) and found them to be quite good optically for the money and rugged as well. Thats my experience.
bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 13:07   #11

I have a Bushnell Trophy on my mini-14 and have fired over 1K rounds without a problem. I also have a recoil buffer and gas port reducer installed on the rifle. The Bushnell appears to be a good value for the money (so far).

Semper Fi
Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 18:16   #12

I agree that you get what you pay for. I keep the cheap scopes on my .22&#39;s and use good stuff for the the big guns. M1A etc.

blzn 69

I bring the brash and flash
Old 07-23-2003, 08:26   #13

Yes you do get what you pay for.

As for Bushnell I have had zero problems with all 5 of my Bushnell scopes. I will buy Bushnell again, over Tasco and Springfield.

If you want a good Bushnell scope go with the Elite 3200 or the 4200 series. They are as good as Leupold and the same warrenty.

The Scopechief is also a good one for the average hunter.

My Bushnell 3200 10x40 mildot has seen almost 2000 rounds on top of my .300WM.

My Trophy Red Dot has seen almost 1600 rounds on top of my Mini-14 (no recoil buffer).

I shoot an average of once a week, and compete as well as hunt.

As for how much to spend on a scope? It should be the same as you have spent on your rifle&#33; Then add rings and a base.
Farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 13:48   #14

I&#39;ve got one on my 30.06 and it hasn&#39;t broken yet. Though it&#39;s not the brightest thing in the world. If I had &#39;spare&#39; cash I&#39;d buy something better.
fastang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 15:29   #15

Originally posted by Farmboy@Jul 23 2003, 10:26 AM
If you want a good Bushnell scope go with the Elite 3200 or the 4200 series. They are as good as Leupold and the same warrenty.

The Scopechief is also a good one for the average hunter.

My Bushnell 3200 10x40 mildot has seen almost 2000 rounds on top of my .300WM.

My Trophy Red Dot has seen almost 1600 rounds on top of my Mini-14 (no recoil buffer).

I shoot an average of once a week, and compete as well as hunt.

As for how much to spend on a scope? It should be the same as you have spent on your rifle&#33; Then add rings and a base.
There is no way you can compare the quality of a Bushnell to a Leupold. Its like comparing apples and rotten apples. Also you say you should spend as much on your scope as the rifle? What kind of rifles do you have if they are all topped with bushnell&#39;s? Crossman, Daisy? I wouldn&#39;t say anything bad about em if I hadn&#39;t had bad experiences with them. When I got my weatherby .300 wby mag it had some big bushnell tactical scope on it, I forget what model it was, long story short , took it to the range twice before the big 30 cal busted the recticle loose. Junk. Bought a vari-x III 3.5-10x50 problem solved, for life.
hanksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 17:42   #16

Some one got there wheaties ********this morning

The Bushnell 3200 and 4200 are the same quality as Leupold, no buts about it.

My Rem. Sendero was topped with a Bushnell 3200 10x40 mildot for about 2000 rounds before I could afford the proper scope for it.

Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS

The Bushnell 3200 will now go on my new Savage 10FPLE2B until I can put a Nightforce on it.

But why not Bushnell?

As great as they are they do not make a variable power, mildot scope with target knobs, 1/4 clicks and 80 min. of elevation.

The other Bushnells I own are mounted on my mini-14 and my 2 .22s the other I just sold to pay for other toys.

Any questions?
Attached Thumbnails
Bushnel Trophy-post-8-1059007345.jpg  
Old 07-25-2003, 09:47   #17
Red

I concur Farmboy, the Bushnell Elite series IS every bit as good as a Leupold or Burris scope. What folks may not realize is that the Elite series was once known by another name before being bought out by Bushnell. It once was manufactured under the Bausch and Lomb monikor, and has always been known for exceptional clarity, innovation and durability.

I had the chance last month to compare a 4200 Elite series scope next to a Burris high end scope. Both were 3x9 and both were as sharp as anything I&#39;d ever need to use. The difference was the price with the Elite being quite a bit cheaper.

Also remember that the Elite series comes with the rainguard coating on the optics to stop moisture from clouding or otherwise obscuring the exterior of the lense. All in all it&#39;s a damn good scope.

I&#39;m torn between a Burris with its quick and easy to use ballistic range finder and an Elite series with the new Firefly reticle that glows after exposure to light. Both are excellent scope manufacturers and both offer lifetime warranties, so the deciding factor may be price which goes to the Elite. Either one offers more optics and quality for the money than most folks will ever need.

Leupolds are damn nice too, but they are no better than either the Burris or high end Bushnells, no matter WHAT their high priced advertising campaigns may tell you.

Remember, Leupolds, like all the other scope makers also has a low end line, their Wind River series. Made in Asia but tagged with a Leupold name, they could be held against Leupold just like Bushnells lower end optics often are held against them.

You get what you pay for....to a point. After that, you&#39;re often buying the cache that certain names carry, and they BANK on that aspect of name brand recognition. It&#39;s why ad agencies are hired to begin with.

I&#39;m personally not into designer labels. I don&#39;t require (nor can I afford) German precison in my optics. I just need a good quality scope that&#39;ll hold up. I expect to pay for what I get, but want the most value for my money.
That&#39;s why my next purchase will likely be a Bushnell Elite.

If you like to read, go here and read this guys reviews on certain scopes.
Scroll down to the scope section of the articles.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2d.rifles.htm

He&#39;s a pretty sensible guy and has a reasonable take on the whole thing.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 21:31   #18

The Bushnel is in the same class as the tasco or simmons they are budjet priced
scopes and will fail on you it is just the matter of time,They are cheap priced for a reason its because they are Made cheaply the quailty is not there PERIOD.
Quality scopes cost more money beacuse they are MADE BETTER with quailty materials and REAL TRAINED workers put them together.Only a GOOD REPUTATION can command the price of say a Leupold or Burris, These brands
will NEVER let you down They are worth thier weight in gold when that Fine 10 point buck steps out in the Blowing snow at 20 below Zero OR when you have to take a crutial shot to save your life or someone elses in a combat situation.
Dont skimp on the quality of your rifle scope if money is an issue Get a Cheaper Rifle it will still be accurate and dependable but a cheap scope could be a disaster.
Old 07-26-2003, 23:42   #19

I agree with Cajun and hank.The Bushnells and Tasco scopes are junk.Thats why Wallyworld and K-mart sell&#39;em.If you want a good low priced scope go w/the Simmons Whitetail Expedition or Aetec.Medium price would be Weaver & Burris.High dollar-Sprinfield & Leupold.That&#39;s my two cents worth
ralrein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:55   #20

Originally posted by ralrein1@Jul 27 2003, 01:42 AM
I agree with Cajun and hank.The Bushnells and Tasco scopes are junk.Thats why Wallyworld and K-mart sell&#39;em.If you want a good low priced scope go w/the Simmons Whitetail Expedition or Aetec.Medium price would be Weaver & Burris.High dollar-Sprinfield & Leupold.That&#39;s my two cents worth
Bushnells and Tasco are junk and Simmons aren&#39;t&#33;???? I don&#39;t think you understand everything you know.
Old 07-27-2003, 15:55   #21

Some of you guys need to get out a little more&#33;

High dollar-Sprinfield & Leupold.That&#39;s my two cents worth
High end scopes would include Nightforce, US Optics, Horus and Schmidt & Bender.
Old 07-28-2003, 17:16   #22

Go for a Zeiss, Leupold, Swarovski, Nikon, Springfield, and ATN. Those are all great scopes and will never fail you. Yes they can get up there in price but will last forever.
lib·er·al : Someone so open-minded that their brains fell out.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 16:29   #23

That&#39;s right-Bushnell & Tasco are junk&#33; Especially Tasco.
ralrein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 16:59   #24

Originally posted by Carnifex@Jul 29 2003, 12:16 AM
Go for a Zeiss, Leupold, Swarovski, Nikon, Springfield, and ATN. Those are all great scopes and will never fail you. Yes they can get up there in price but will last forever.
Ditto on the above. A Swarovski?? Can&#39;t get much better than that, but it is several times the price of a mini.......

However, plastic gears do not belong in any scope, and the zoom test mentioned earlier is one thing you should definitely check if possible before spending money on a scope. Why buy a cheapie when sooner or later you&#39;ll plop down the cash for what you should have bought in the first place?

Major John Plaster, USAR-Ret., has some great thoughts on optics in his book, The Ultimate Sniper.
mikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 21:59   #25

Farmboy,

Did you do anything to acurize your 10FPLE2B Savage? I am planning on making my next gun a Savage 10FPLE2B, and I am wondering how yours shoots? What kind of groups are you getting and at what ranges. Also, are you hand loading? What kind of brass, primmers, bullets and powder? Have you had to use an elevated set of rings to accomidate a 50mm objective on your rifles?

I have heard so many good things about the Savage and it&#39;s got some features that I think make it really stand out from Remington guns. I am planing on getting a Lilja barrel in .30 cal chambered for .300wsm and a mag bolt face to put on the Savage. I&#39;m going to have it done by Sharp Shooters Supply, as well as some other things.

Thanks, and good looking guns&#33;

tman300wm
tman300wm is offline   Reply With Quote