AR question... - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RIBob
  • 3 Post By 2rangers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2021, 09:16   #1

AR question...

I posted this in the AR section first, but this is the most active section on the forum.

Why do AR/FAL/HK rifles have an adjustable front sight post? Why not just use a fully adjustable rear sight, like the M1, M14,etc?

I've done some fishing around on the net over the years but never found an answer.

TIA
Bolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:41   #2
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by Bolero View Post
I posted this in the AR section first, but this is the most active section on the forum.

Why do AR/FAL/HK rifles have an adjustable front sight post? Why not just use a fully adjustable rear sight, like the M1, M14,etc?

I've done some fishing around on the net over the years but never found an answer.

TIA
For the most part, the front sights on these rifles are adjustable for initial zero. Each type of rifle has a specific initial zero procedure. Once that is done, the adjustable rear sights can be used, and their range increments will be correct at all ranges, so long as the specific procedure is followed, AND the correct bullet/ctg for which the rifle--and its' sights-- were designed is used to zero it.

A rifle can be zeroed at most any distance with any bullet/ctg, but if one wants the rear sight range increments to work properly, use the correct bullet/ctg combination for which they were both designed.
Bepe likes this.

Last edited by RIBob; 02-22-2021 at 10:07.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:28   #3

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
The original M16 was deliberately to have sights adjustable by tool only so that bored soldiers and marines wouldn't dicker with the sights during lulls in battle. It requies a cartridge or a tool of some sort to adjust. Easily done, but not as easily done on an M1 or M14. It was found that soldiers/marines would "play" with their sight settings, and then forget where they were zeroed, requiring a trip to the range to verify zeroes.
The design of the M16A2 sights were mandated by the marines to allow qualifying at 500 yard. They needed to have a rear sight easily(no tools required) adjustable for shooting out to 500 yards, or they would cancel their contracts with colt.
curt mini14, 40nascar and Bepe like this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2021, 14:32   #4

Most of the rear "iron" AR sights that have adjustable elevation are pretty wobbly.
migyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:12   #5

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
White oak precision makes a "pinned" rear sight that is absolutely rock solid, repeatable, and available in 1/4 minute clicks. Great for target work.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:26   #6

Thanks for the answers so far gentlemen.
Bolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:54   #7

Sight picture as taught in Boot camp. Using the power of exaggeration to illustrate. If I jack the rear sight up a foot, where does your cheek weld go? Or if I lower the rear sight a foot, you can't see it without removing the rifle from your shoulder. You want them in the line of sight so when your buddy picks up your rifle because you just went down he knows the sight picture and cheek weld will be the same. When I could use iron sights well I adjusted for a frog hair front sight so just barely visible in the rear.
Old Today, 09:51   #8

The rear sight on my AR15 doesn't have an elevation adjustment. Only has the front sight adjustment that you mention.
Jonjeo is offline   Reply With Quote