Buying Ammo Locally - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2020, 13:35   #1
Formerly "raf"

Buying Ammo Locally

Saw a note at local gun clup from an older shooter "cashing-in".

Long story short, bought 1K of NIB PMC 230 gn FMJ .45 ACP @ .59/rd. More than I'm used to paying, but same rd is virtually unobtanium hereabouts.

I plan to buy 750 rds of Brit Radway Green M855 in (Brit) bandoliers, silencers, and stripper clips. Ammo cans included. .40/rd.

Trunk-to-trunk deal at local gun club. Free shipping, lol.

Anyone reasonably local to central RI can post here with ammo requirements, and I'll call him, and post back info. I believe he has some M193, 7.62 NATO, and .30-'06, the latter being in Garand en-bloc clips. RI has (currently) no requirements (other than being 18 yrs old, IIRC) concerning buying ammo.
2rangers, Bepe and SMOGGUY like this.

Last edited by RIBob; 11-16-2020 at 13:56.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 14:56   #2
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
If he has any more .45 auto....I'm interested.

Drop me a PM.

Bepe

Cleaned him out, I think. Responded to your PM.

Adding 1K to current .45 ACP stash puts me in "barely comfortable" status. Unlikely I will want to part with it until the Spring, after a winter's worth of re-loading. for many different calibers. I have a LOT of work ahead of me--as in many thousands of rounds.
2rangers likes this.

Last edited by RIBob; 11-16-2020 at 13:57.
Old 11-14-2020, 20:23   #3

Here on the "Left Coast" ammo supplies are non-existent. The last shipment we got from the wholesalers was now almost a 100% increase from 4-5 months ago. Most of that increase was in the last month. We can not get 9mm or .223/5.56 at all now. Defensive pistol loads (9mm, 40, 45 performance HPs) are now $1.25 to $2.50 a round. I know it is as bad in Southern Oregon, as I have to send my daughter a care package of 9mm out of my personal stash.

I am glad to have about 1000 rounds per firearm, except .22 LR, which I have about 2,000 rounds per firearm. My cowboy action calibers(.44-40, .45 Colt/Schofield, and .38 Long Colt -heeled .375" bullet) I reload, as I do for my rifle calibers (30-30, .30 Carbine, 300 BLK, 5.56, and 7.63x39) I reload. I also have the capability of loading 12 GA shot guns. Pistol, I load .38 S&W and .44 Special and Magnum. .25 Auto, 9mm, and .40 S&W I do not reload
2rangers likes this.
imarangemaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2020, 20:35   #4

I was sorting through some ammo boxes today and found 1000 rounds of new M193 I had forgotten about. I'll bet I've owned it for at least 5 years. Merry Christmas to me.
kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:29   #5

Originally Posted by RIBob View Post
Saw a note at local gun clup from an older shooter "cashing-in".

Long story short, bought 1K of NIB PMC 230 gn FMJ .45 ACP @ .59/rd. More than I'm used to paying, but same rd is virtually unobtanium hereabouts.

I plan to buy 750 rds of Brit Radway Green M855 in (Brit) bandoliers, silencers, and stripper clips. Ammo cans included. .40/rd.

Trunk-to-trunk deal at local gun club. Free shipping, lol.

Anyone reasonably local to central RI can post here with ammo requirements, and I'll call him, and post back requirements. I believe he has some M193, 7.62 NATO, and .30-'06, the latter being in Garand en-bloc clips. RI has (currently) no requirements (other than being 18 yrs old, IIRC) concerning buying ammo.
Those are pretty decent prices. You could almost double your money based on current retail pricing for those ( the Biden effect). Good score! Congratulations.
2rangers and imarangemaster like this.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:18   #6

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
Here on the "Left Coast" ammo supplies are non-existent. The last shipment we got from the wholesalers was now almost a 100% increase from 4-5 months ago. Most of that increase was in the last month. We can not get 9mm or .223/5.56 at all now. Defensive pistol loads (9mm, 40, 45 performance HPs) are now $1.25 to $2.50 a round. I know it is as bad in Southern Oregon, as I have to send my daughter a care package of 9mm out of my personal stash.

I am glad to have about 1000 rounds per firearm, except .22 LR, which I have about 2,000 rounds per firearm. My cowboy action calibers(.44-40, .45 Colt/Schofield, and .38 Long Colt -heeled .375" bullet) I reload, as I do for my rifle calibers (30-30, .30 Carbine, 300 BLK, 5.56, and 7.63x39) I reload. I also have the capability of loading 12 GA shot guns. Pistol, I load .38 S&W and .44 Special and Magnum. .25 Auto, 9mm, and .40 S&W I do not reload
IF you aren't reloading your own ammo you are really in a compromised position unless you have a SERIOUS STOCKPILE.

I reload everything except .22 LR Rimfire. I cast the vast majority of the bullets I use and the Jacketed Bullets I do use I bought in bulk a few years ago. as either pulled Govt .30 cals. or Hornady .224 55gr over runs from the Obama era. They sold at Mid South for .07 per bullet! We bought 6000 of them for $420 and split them between the two of us. Best deal ever!!!.

Last year I bought 500 primed cases from Mid South They load even faster. my .223's [email protected]/round. .45's are .04 for a primer .04 for the powder and the boolits are free with some of my time to make them, so lets say .12 /round.

Still based on my own usage of the 1000 rounds of Wolf .223 I bought 12 years ago and still haven't used up, I would say you are good to go unless you are supplying others.

That said,,, I could have over 1000 rounds of .223 loaded by end of business today PST if I needed it that bad.

You need to start reloading and I can think of no better tool to start with than one of my BPM Hand Presses. Goto www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

You will never really be serious about the shooting sports until you start reloading your own ammo. You CAN DO THIS, and it ain't that hard!

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Buying Ammo Locally-100464232.jpg   Buying Ammo Locally-100464374.jpg   Buying Ammo Locally-100464167.jpg  

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-16-2020 at 11:34.
W.R.Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:39   #7

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
This whole business of ammo scarcity looks like a scam job by the powers that be to run us dry. Can't fight back if there's no ammo to do so. Rifles and handguns make poor melee weapons.
Many of us have been stockpiling for years, and it seems that one can never have enough.
I don't think we'll see "cheap" ammo ever again.
Thank GOD for reloading!
Jonjeo, 40nascar, Bepe and 1 others like this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:45   #8

The only problem with this is for Newbies. The cost of primers has rocketed to $150 a brick. Thats 15c just for a primer. And have you tried to buy powder or brass?

Reloading is fine if you had components before the chytestorm hit, but not now. Sure, you can buy overpriced hunting bullets for 50c each, at normal pricing, but all the other components have disappeared, or have been priced out of serious consideration for beginning reloaders.
2rangers likes this.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:01   #9

Originally Posted by 2rangers View Post
This whole business of ammo scarcity looks like a scam job by the powers that be to run us dry. Can't fight back if there's no ammo to do so. Rifles and handguns make poor melee weapons.
Many of us have been stockpiling for years, and it seems that one can never have enough.
I don't think we'll see "cheap" ammo ever again.
Thank GOD for reloading!
No doubt on the "shortage". I hope they realize that the "citizens" are holding heavy enough to set things straight.

I've been piling it in for years. Just for the hell of it. As WR stated...Midsouth has been a great go to for years. Hornady 7.62x39 FMJ's..... Discontinued by Hornady but sold in bulk by Midsouth. Bags of 250...paid peanuts for them.

Bepe

Last edited by Bepe; 11-19-2020 at 13:03.
Bepe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:59   #10

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
Here on the "Left Coast" ammo supplies are non-existent. The last shipment we got from the wholesalers was now almost a 100% increase from 4-5 months ago.
Same at the shop I am at, we are paying double normal retail just to get something for the customers.
Almost no .223 to be had, very low supply.

I am set for all my reloading, going to load up some 45/70 cast loads today
2rangers and W.R.Buchanan like this.
Old 11-16-2020, 13:36   #11

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
No doubt on the "shortage". I hope they realize that the "citizens" are holding heavy enough to set things straight.

I've been piling it in for years. Just for the hell of it. As WR stated...Midsouth has been a great go to for years. All the bagged bullets up front are Hornady 7.62x39 FMJ's. Discontinued by Hornady but sold in bulk by Midsouth. Bags of 250...paid peanuts for them.

This tub is just the tip of the iceberg.

Bepe
I'm right there with you, Bepe!
Bepe likes this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 14:10   #12
Formerly "raf"

On a very long motor-home trip from RI to VA and back, I used the earlier version of this item https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...prod55041.aspx to de-prime, re-size and bell over 1K .45 ACP brass using Carbide dies. Improved version "out of stock" at a couple vendors I checked.

Buchanan item looks nicer, and it should, given the price differential.
2rangers likes this.
Old 11-16-2020, 15:51   #13
Formerly "raf"

Guy said he "might" have some more Radway Green available and will bring it--same price.

He's driving around with a trunkful of ammo cans of various cals of ammo.

Will give him a call. Might take an extra $2k just in case we can work a "deal". The Greek HXP .30-'06 ammo in bandoliers and 8-rd stripper clips is interesting.

Cash has a way of making "deals" possible. Ben Franklin is persuasive.

I'm not a 'Rich-guy", just a low-level worker-bee, live well below my means, and have saved all my life. Retired now. SoSec and Fed "pension" are far in excess of monthly requirements. I planned for this.

Last edited by RIBob; 11-16-2020 at 16:15.
Old 11-17-2020, 14:04   #14

Bob when I designed my tool it was intended to be sold thru Sinclair. However they rejected it saying they didn't see how it fit into their product line? Then they took 2 months to find the sample tool and send it back to me, and I doubt they ever even looked at it.

Now they are selling the Lee Hand Press? Go figure?

Lots of difference in the two tools. Mine is made from CNC machined Aluminum Bar Stock, Tool Steel and Stainless Steel, theirs is made from Pot Metal castings. Theirs is $50, Mine is $250, and I make a smaller percentage on mine than they do.

Randy
Old 11-17-2020, 16:56   #15
Suck it Leftists!

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
I was sorting through some ammo boxes today and found 1000 rounds of new M193 I had forgotten about. I'll bet I've owned it for at least 5 years. Merry Christmas to me.
kwg
Had a similar thing happen to me a few months ago when I found what I thought was an empty ammo can and turned out it was 400 rounds of M855 on stripper clips and a Striplula. Best I recall I bought the stuff 10 years ago. There really is a Santa Claus.
kwg020, 2rangers, 40nascar and 2 others like this.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:26   #16
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Bob when I designed my tool it was intended to be sold thru Sinclair. However they rejected it saying they didn't see how it fit into their product line? Then they took 2 months to find the sample tool and send it back to me, and I doubt they ever even looked at it.

Now they are selling the Lee Hand Press? Go figure?

Lots of difference in the two tools. Mine is made from CNC machined Aluminum Bar Stock, Tool Steel and Stainless Steel, theirs is made from Pot Metal castings. Theirs is $50, Mine is $250, and I make a smaller percentage on mine than they do.

Randy
I have no doubt your device is better-made, and longer-lasting than the Lee.
2rangers likes this.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:34   #17
Formerly "raf"

Working on it.

I have a LOT of work ahead of me, not the least being so cramped for space that my future "re-loading bench" will have to be dismantled and re-made every day. Can do.

I got divorced some years ago, and am only now inventorying supplies of bullets, cases, powder, and re-loading components.

There's a lot of stuff to both find and organize. Takes time, unfortunately.

Good news is that I "might" have figured out a way to get started, and evaluate the powder that has sat in reasonably benign conditions for years.

FWIW, I have a LOT of .30-'06, 7.62 NATO, 5.56, and ,45 ACP cases in storage. All MILITARY cases. At time of forced move, Mil-spec Primers and bullets to match.

The condition of the powder--many kegs of it-- being aged, will involve some time to evaluate, and some range testing.

In the meantime, I have an existing "ammo fort" that is considerable. Adding 10K rds of centerfire pistol/rifle ammo to it would be a significant addition, but not a big deal/percentage considering existing stocks. No brag, just fact.

.22RF supplies are well over 40K rds, and not counting "extra-accurate, Foreign" rds stashed.

Not posted as bragging, but just saying I've been around the block a few times, and stocked-up. I'm certain that some posters have much larger ammo hoards, and good for them!

Last edited by RIBob; 11-19-2020 at 17:33.
Old 11-21-2020, 13:26   #18
Formerly "raf"

Today's purchase was:

900 rds of M855 (SS-109) Brit Radway Green, in bandos/stripper clips, in .50 ammo can, +1 bandolier that wouldn't fit in ammo can. 62 gn. bullet. all Milsurp.

2 X 192 rd sealed spam cans of Greek HXP .30-'06, in 8-rd stripper clips and bandos. All Milsurp.

2 boxes (40 rds) of Remington brass-case, Boxer primed 123 gn 7.62X39. Commercial, NIB.

$720, free shipping.

Might buy more stuff, maybe 500 rds of various types of .380 ACP.

Last edited by RIBob; 11-21-2020 at 13:45.
Old 11-21-2020, 13:51   #19

Nice score....IIRC the RP x39mm runs the small rifle primer. Had some back in the early 90's if I'm not mistaken.

I was inventorying my reload supplies the other day. 3 main calibers in the collection. 7.62x39mm....45 auto and 9mm.

Not holding too bad in all three calibers. The .45 auto is probably my weakest. More powder than components....with enough components to about half my loaded supply in all calibers. Primers will probably be the limiting factor for all. Got a decent supply but who knows how long this is going to last.

The 7.62x39mm stash

Just have to adjust and limit range trips to 50 rounds per session. Keep the trigger finger tuned but not expend to much of the stock pile.

Bepe
Attached Thumbnails
Buying Ammo Locally-dscn4756.jpg   Buying Ammo Locally-dscn4749.jpg  
2rangers, Beck and SMOGGUY like this.
Old 11-21-2020, 20:02   #20
Glass Half-Full Member

I've been pretty fortunate. I've always been prepared with plenty of ammo and in more recent years, reloading components. At this point I think I may have too much 7.62x39 (can we have to much?) It's getting where I'm running out of room to store it. I'm all set for my other firearms in various calibers as well.

Well, I was a Boy Scout in my youth. And no, I'm not suing the Boy Scouts of America! I have no reason to. It wasn't like that in my day.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:05   #21

I "discovered" a treasure trove of ammo I forgot about in storage containers in my basement, including 7,000 rounds of CCI .22lr "Standard Velocity," a 1,000 rounds of various name-brand "suppressor" rounds in .22LR, and 1500 rounds of brass cased 7.62x39 from the days I was salivating over buying an AK but never got around to it.

Someone please let me know if you come across anyone willing to pay $3.00 a round for the CCI .22LR stuff...because I'd love to use the proceeds as a nice downpayment on a Porsche or 'Vette!
Beck and Bepe like this.
CZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:22   #22

Hang on to the stash.....CZ. It won't be long until there will be buyers lined up to pay those prices.

What brand of cases on your x39mm stash?

Bepe
2rangers likes this.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:03   #23

Hang on to the stash.....CZ. It won't be long until there will be buyers lined up to pay those prices.

What brand of cases on your x39mm stash?

Bepe
1000 Sellier & Bellot, 600 Prvi Partizan, and a couple 30-round boxes of Red Army Standard Elite.
Bepe likes this.
CZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 14:10   #24

Originally Posted by CZMAN View Post
I

Someone please let me know if you come across anyone willing to pay $3.00 a round for the CCI .22LR stuff...because I'd love to use the proceeds as a nice downpayment on a Porsche or 'Vette!
If you have any 30-30, you can get $3 a round for that, and about $2 ea for .38 special & 357 mag.
Bepe likes this.
Old 11-22-2020, 16:16   #25

I have some 7.62 Tula I might let go. There would be a Yugo SKS to go with it so it might be a bit pricey. (a lot pricey) I don't have a Mini 30 so there would be no reason to hang on to it. I have not been paying any attention to what SKS's are going for but I could see things going up in the near future.

kwg
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote