• 2 Post By Wanderson
  • 1 Post By Old Phart
  • 2 Post By imarangemaster
  • 1 Post By RIBob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2020, 04:54   #1
Formerly "raf"

Tapco, Thermold and Factory Mini-14/-30 Mags Available

Just bought 3 Tapco 30-rd mags; approx $58 shipped from Jestice Arms.

Ruger Mini 14 & 30

ETA: I believe the Tapco FDE 30-rd mags are Gen 2 because of the metal reinforcement band in the pic, but I'm not an expert.

Link to discussion of Tapco Gen1/Gen2 differences:https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/min...s-gen-1-gen-2/

Thermold 30-rd mags have always worked in my 185 series Mini.

Disclaimer: No financial interest.
SmilePlease likes this.

Last edited by RIBob; 10-06-2020 at 07:38.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:18   #2
Temp Banned!

I donít buy squat from CTD. They screwed me on a order 9 years ago and Iíll never forget.
r80rt, Sparkie, 40nascar and 3 others like this.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:34   #3
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
I don’t buy squat from CTD. They screwed me on a order 9 years ago and I’ll never forget.
Vendor is Jestice Arms, not CTD. Discussion of differences between Gen1/Gen2 Tapco mags is from CTD.

I'll amend first post to eliminate confusion.
Bepe and SMOGGUY like this.

Old 10-13-2020, 17:44   #4

I bought one of the Tapco gen2 mags, runs great in my .300bo Mini. Would have bought more but I prefer the handier 20s.
All the rest of my mags are Ruger factory and the Original Equipment brand mags from CDNN.
Maybe now that Sportsman’s Warehouse bought Tapco from Remington we’ll see more mags in the future.
40nascar and Gray like this.
Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 19:07   #5

Originally Posted by RIBob View Post
Just bought 3 Tapco 30-rd mags; approx $58 shipped from Jestice Arms.

Ruger Mini 14 & 30

ETA: I believe the Tapco FDE 30-rd mags are Gen 2 because of the metal reinforcement band in the pic, but I'm not an expert.

Thanks for the link Bob.

I also just ordered three of the Tapco (hopefully Gen II) 30 round magazines from Jestice Arms.....I wish that they would also have had black available instead of just 'flat dark earth' but it is what it is and I'll deal with it.
40nascar likes this.

NRA Range Safety Officer
Old Phart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 20:32   #6
AKA CRABBY

Bob how did the tapco mini 14 30 rounders work..?
SMOGGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 22:08   #7

I have had great luck with the Tapco Gen IIs. I found that when loading from a closed bolt, they are better if you load just 29, though, otherwise you have to be careful of the first round popping out before it locks in.
40nascar and SMOGGUY like this.
imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:50   #8
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by SMOGGUY View Post
Bob how did the tapco mini 14 30 rounders work..?
Don't know how they work yet, as just received yesterday. Will be a little while before I test them.

Construction and materials look first-rate, though. Packaging claims "Anti-Tilt" followers, and that seems to be the case; At least trying to induce a "tilted" follower does not seem possible by hand manipulation.

IMHO, fully comparable to Gen 3 Magpul AR mags, which are currently the best of the plastic AR mags. IDK how many Gen 2 Tapco mags Jestice Arms has, but their inventory is certainly finite, given that the mini-mags have been out of production for some years.

FWIW, just ordered another 4 Tapco Gen 2 30-rd mags, making 7 total.

Disclaimer: no financial interest.

Last edited by RIBob; 10-14-2020 at 12:37.
Old 10-15-2020, 16:50   #9
Registered Member

I bought 4 of these over the summer, and loaded them to 28...about a week ago I went to change the ammo out and 2 of them wouldn"t feed. Hoping springs from Wolff fixes the problem. As an aside, I took one of the "non-feeders" to the range and loaded 10 rnds. It worked perfectly.
Metamando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:25   #10
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by Metamando View Post
I bought 4 of these over the summer, and loaded them to 28...about a week ago I went to change the ammo out and 2 of them wouldn"t feed. Hoping springs from Wolff fixes the problem. As an aside, I took one of the "non-feeders" to the range and loaded 10 rnds. It worked perfectly.
How long did you leave the mags "fully" loaded?

Interesting; Haven't heard this specific spring-related issue before, but will keep an eye on it. IIRC, have heard about the 28-rd suggestion, but some other, even GI mags, like this practice as well. I've dis-assembled all the mags, and given the OEM springs a light film of oil to retard rust in the future. Springs "looked" OK, but did not compare the OEM springs with new GI 30-rd mag springs.

These mags dis-assemble easily, so replacement of OEM mag springs, if necessary, is a simple task.

Thanks for the head's-up about the possible spring issue. Will probably order a 10-pack from Wolff just in case. Always nice to have extra mag springs available in any case.
SMOGGUY likes this.
Old 10-16-2020, 16:18   #11

One issue I had with the 2 Tapco I bought during Freedom week is the feed lips spread. If I try and keep more than 20 rounds in them now they will end up in the carrier or bag. Can't bend them back, haven't tried heating them. They work great as far as feeding, etc.

When the laws change (soon I hope) I would send them back. Would love to have 10 or so...without this issue.
tcsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 17:16   #12
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by tcsafety View Post
One issue I had with the 2 Tapco I bought during Freedom week is the feed lips spread. If I try and keep more than 20 rounds in them now they will end up in the carrier or bag. Can't bend them back, haven't tried heating them. They work great as far as feeding, etc.

When the laws change (soon I hope) I would send them back. Would love to have 10 or so...without this issue.
Interesting. Which Gen Tapco mags? Gen 1 or Gen 2? Have not heard this before. I know the Israeli plastic "Orlite" 30-rd mags for the AR have metal-mesh reinforced feed lips. Such mags were made a long time ago, and are no longer issued by Israeli Mil for front-line use, AFAIK.

Presumably, modern plastics have advanced a fair bit. The latest Gen Magpul AR mags seem to stand up to long-tern use/abuse. USMC issues them, IIRC.

Magpul mags come with a flip-off feed lip cover. Some say that its' primary purpose is to prevent spreading of feed lips when the mag is stored at full capacity. Others claim this is not necessary.

Last edited by RIBob; 10-18-2020 at 04:39.
Old 10-17-2020, 16:01   #13

They are Gen 2. I'm thinking maybe they got a bit heated during transport (SoCal in summer). But, may have just been my luck to get the only two in that batch....
tcsafety is offline   Reply With Quote