• 3 Post By sandog
  • 2 Post By RIBob
  • 2 Post By kwg020
  • 3 Post By RIBob
  • 3 Post By 2rangers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2020, 16:24   #1

CA Compensator

Unfortunately I live in the commie state of Kalifornistan where it's illegal to have a flash hider. I was wondering if anyone has experience with a compensator, that is only advertised as such, but has some decent flash hiding characteristics?
Redsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 17:14   #2
Formerly "raf"

Can't answer your question directly, due to lack of knowledge on my part. In my experience, both muzzle brakes and muzzle compensators are more-or-less "flash-enhancers". That's why the BATFE certified some muzzle devices (comps and brakes) as GTG vice dis-approving other devices which actually reduced flash.

I suppose some people, being lawless, disrespectful types, have managed to obtain real flash suppressors for their firearms, and have made the necessary preparations for installing them, in case such are needed. Such people might have stored such devices far away from their firearms, lest some legal authority find them, and declare "Constructive Possession". There's no telling what some people will do.

Personally, I would never advocate such flagrant disrespect of the law in a public forum.

HTH
2rangers and whofarted like this.

Last edited by RIBob; 08-01-2020 at 17:40.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 17:30   #3

Originally Posted by RIBob View Post
Can't answer your question directly, due to lack of knowledge on my part. In my experience, both muzzle brakes and muzzle compensators are more-or-less "flash-enhancers". That's why the BATFE certified some muzzle devices (comps and brakes) as GTG vice dis-approving other devices which actually reduced flash.

I suppose some people, being lawless, disrespectful types, have managed to obtain real flash suppressors for their firearms, and have made the necessary preparations for installing them, in case such are needed. Such people might have stored such devices far away from their firearms, lest some legal authority find them, and declare "Constructive Possession".

Personally, I would never advocate such flagrant disrespect of the law.

HTH, RIBob
Gotcha...
2rangers likes this.
Redsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2020, 21:00   #4

Personally I hate flash hiders and most Comps as they make the firearm louder.
I hunt without hearing protection so I don't want to go deaf.
Having said that, I really like Liner brakes, they direct all the noise forward away from shooter and also away from people next to you.
They work very well as a comp, I have them on all my semi-auto rifles.
kwg020, 2rangers and r80rt like this.
Old 08-01-2020, 21:17   #5

Originally Posted by RIBob View Post

I suppose some people, being lawless, disrespectful types, have managed to obtain real flash suppressors for their firearms, and have made the necessary preparations for installing them, in case such are needed. Such people might have stored such devices far away from their firearms, lest some legal authority find them, and declare "Constructive Possession". There's no telling what some people will do.

Personally, I would never advocate such flagrant disrespect of the law in a public forum.

HTH
I agree with most everything you say with exception to the Constructive Possession.... thats more of an ATF term. Flash hiders in general arent illegal to own in CA.. its dependent on the weapon they on
2rangers likes this.

Last edited by whofarted; 08-01-2020 at 21:20. Reason: added "to own"
whofarted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 22:05   #6

I went through a period of infatuation with muzzle brakes. When a little kid whose dad set up next to me at the range one day when I was shooting a .243 (with a brake) burst into tears I changed my mind. At least, so far as low recoiling cartridges are concerned.

I offered to help her dad get her set up with foam plugs as well as the muffs he brought but he would have none of it. Like I was a threat to his "Dad-ness"
2rangers and r80rt like this.
RCE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:04   #7

I imagine that the demo lawmakers don't like flash hiders because they believe that someone using a FH will be invisible when firing at night.
Nothing could be further from the truth, but of course those libs have their own ill informed perceptions of guns.

We all know that flash hiders only break up the fireball somewhat, so that the user won't be blinded as bad.

Interesting, hylander, that you think that flash hiders make the firearm louder.
Maybe they do, but my human ears can't tell the difference between a FH equipped firearm and a non FH gun.
Is that the only reason you hate them ?

I myself would hate to not have the choice of what I use.
2rangers, curt mini14 and SMOGGUY like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:08   #8
Formerly "raf"

Here is a link to Part 1 of what seems to be a pretty well-done series of tests of Flash Suppressors and Brakes/Comps. Scroll down for links to Part 2 of the Flash Suppressor test, and Parts 1 and 2 of the Brake/Comp tests.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar...ider-shootout/

BLUF: Unless you own a sound suppressor which requires a specialized QD mount, one need look no further than the common and inexpensive A2 flash suppressor. YMMV, of course.
2rangers and curt mini14 like this.
Old Yesterday, 20:15   #9

I tend to think that a standard A2 flashhider is almost as good as a guy can get without spending a lot of money, I have come to the conclusion it's tough to pass on a linear compensator. I know it's design is not to surpress the flash and may actually make it worse. But, I like the idea of directing the noise away from myself and those who may be close to me. It's just common courtesy. I hate being next to anyone with a brake. It may help their shooting but it sure messes with mine.

kwg
2rangers and r80rt like this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:02   #10
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
I tend to think that a standard A2 flashhider is almost as good as a guy can get without spending a lot of money, I have come to the conclusion it's tough to pass on a linear compensator. I know it's design is not to surpress the flash and may actually make it worse. But, I like the idea of directing the noise away from myself and those who may be close to me. It's just common courtesy. I hate being next to anyone with a brake. It may help their shooting but it sure messes with mine.

kwg
If you haven't already done so, please have a look at the links posted above. There seems to be some price differences between the comps/brakes, as well as overall effectiveness.

By the same token, there is a great deal of price variation between the lowly A2, and most other flash suppressors. To say that quite a few flash suppressors suppress less flash than the A2, while costing far more is not an understatement.

Some day, you might decide that it is advisable to dismount the linear brake, and install a flash suppressor. If you have the flash suppressor on-hand, along with crush-washers (if required) that might be a useful preparation.

Depending on the outcome of upcoming elections, and other events, it might be that the sale of flash suppressors will be curtailed, or even banned. Our opponents have a lot of time to study the issue, and it's my opinion that any future Bans enacted will be far more draconian than the 1994 AWB.

Just a suggestion, of course. You know best what your needs are.
kwg020, 2rangers and curt mini14 like this.

Last edited by RIBob; Today at 08:01.
Old Today, 13:50   #11

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
The only thing I hear with any FH is a tuning-fork like "twing" from the smith vortex.
But it works so very well at it's job. Any good compensator or brake, that actually reduces recoil, probably increases flash. This is not what I want.
But Sandog said it correctly- We should demand to at least have a choice.
A flash hider does not make a rifle "shootier".
curt mini14, sandog and SMOGGUY like this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote