Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By silvermane_1
  • 5 Post By sandog
  • 4 Post By SAN14
  • 4 Post By silvermane_1
  • 4 Post By sandog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2020, 20:57   #1

Question Any know where I can get a Tech Sight adapter kit?

As the title states, any one know where I can buy the Tech Sight kit for the old flip up site for the Ruger Mini-14?, because the Tech-Site I bought didn't come with one.
Sparkie likes this.

"Life is hard, life is even harder if you're stupid and lazy." Marion Morrison(John Wayne)
silvermane_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:42   #2

I might have the adapter in my spare parts bin, I'll look tomorrow when I get back home.
A for sure thing would be to call Tech and ask for one.
r80rt, SAN14, Sparkie and 2 others like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:28   #3

Like sandog said, contact Tech sight if he can't find what you need. I had bought a used sight over the internet and found it was missing the same part. I contacted the factory and ordered it, expecting to pay. Nope, they sent it at no cost!
r80rt, Sparkie, sandog and 1 others like this.
SAN14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2020, 12:45   #4

silvermane, I didn't have an adapter plate and screw.
Give Tech a call Monday, like SAN said they'll probably send one for free.
Old 07-19-2020, 00:31   #5

Well I called Tech-Sight and they said I bought the wrong site RR200, I've got to get the 200R model, but I didn't buy from Tech-Site itself but Advancedmart, so when I get a refund I will be buying directly from Tech-Sight instead.
jumpluff, r80rt, Sparkie and 1 others like this.

"Life is hard, life is even harder if you're stupid and lazy." Marion Morrison(John Wayne)
Old 07-19-2020, 05:08   #6

If you are older and that front sight doesn't appear as sharp as it used to, consider getting the smaller aperture insert from Tech. (Just guessing here but your user name of silvermane sounds like you are older).
It consists of a new post and a Urethane aperture that goes in the post.
I believe it's .040" or .042".

The smaller hole in effect increases the depth of field, and makes it easier for older eyes to focus on the front sight again. I can still see well if things are beyond 7 or 8 feet away, but any closer and they are a bit blurry.
That smaller aperture allows me to shoot iron sights well again. I also have Skinner and Williams peep sights with smaller apertures on all of my .22 rifles that don't have scopes.

One of the first two insert sets I ordered from Tech went on easily enough, the second gave me a bit of trouble, turns out the post was not threaded properly.
When I went to order the last Tech sight (directly from Tech) I asked them if they could go ahead and put the insert and post in before they sent it. They said sure, which saved me the hassle of doing it myself, and it also saved me a few dollars.

if I still had younger eyes, a larger aperture (ghost ring style) would be quicker for snap shooting, just not as precise for longer range shooting.
Most of the front sight blades on the Mini are way too thick to produce the best results.
The winged front sight on newer Minis is about .080" thick as it comes from the factory.
I thin that blade down to .050", and that, in conjunction with the smaller .040" aperture, makes it easier to shoot good groups with the iron sights out past 200 yards.

If you have an older straight ( no taper) Mini-14 or Mini-30, the old fat single blade front sight is even worse, it will cover up a VW Beetle at distance. Those can be thinned too, and usually have to be shortened as well to work with the Tech sight.
Not making them shorter will result in having the post of the Tech up so high it is exposed above the wings and is wobbly once you are zeroed.

The winged sight that comes on the Choate winged front sight/flash hider combo is a bit thinner than the Ruger winged sight, but can stand some additional thinning as well.
The smaller aperture, used in conjunction with the thinned front sight, is like having National Match sights on a Garand or M1A.
Here you can see the Urethane insert on the Tech sights:

Old 07-19-2020, 21:38   #7

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
If you are older and that front sight doesn't appear as sharp as it used to, consider getting the smaller aperture insert from Tech. (Just guessing here but your user name of silvermane sounds like you are older).
It consists of a new post and a Urethane aperture that goes in the post.
I believe it's .040" or .042".

The smaller hole in effect increases the depth of field, and makes it easier for older eyes to focus on the front sight again. I can still see well if things are beyond 7 or 8 feet away, but any closer and they are a bit blurry.
That smaller aperture allows me to shoot iron sights well again. I also have Skinner and Williams peep sights with smaller apertures on all of my .22 rifles that don't have scopes.

One of the first two insert sets I ordered from Tech went on easily enough, the second gave me a bit of trouble, turns out the post was not threaded properly.
When I went to order the last Tech sight (directly from Tech) I asked them if they could go ahead and put the insert and post in before they sent it. They said sure, which saved me the hassle of doing it myself, and it also saved me a few dollars.

if I still had younger eyes, a larger aperture (ghost ring style) would be quicker for snap shooting, just not as precise for longer range shooting.
Most of the front sight blades on the Mini are way too thick to produce the best results.
The winged front sight on newer Minis is about .080" thick as it comes from the factory.
I thin that blade down to .050", and that, in conjunction with the smaller .040" aperture, makes it easier to shoot good groups with the iron sights out past 200 yards.

If you have an older straight ( no taper) Mini-14 or Mini-30, the old fat single blade front sight is even worse, it will cover up a VW Beetle at distance. Those can be thinned too, and usually have to be shortened as well to work with the Tech sight.
Not making them shorter will result in having the post of the Tech up so high it is exposed above the wings and is wobbly once you are zeroed.

The winged sight that comes on the Choate winged front sight/flash hider combo is a bit thinner than the Ruger winged sight, but can stand some additional thinning as well.
The smaller aperture, used in conjunction with the thinned front sight, is like having National Match sights on a Garand or M1A.
Here you can see the Urethane insert on the Tech sights:

^Well at the bolded part I'm in my late 30s(my screen-name/"handle" comes from the Spiderman villian), I plan on replacing the front site blade with a thinner one anyways, or at least the meprolight tritium one.